Coles product causes uproar: 'Check the ingredients on your medicine'

In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, many often overlook the fine print, especially when it comes to over-the-counter medication.

A recent incident involving a Coles shopper has sparked a heated debate on social media, urging customers to pay closer attention to the ingredients of their purchases, particularly when it comes to medicine.

The incident unfolded when one customer shared images of a packet of Coles Cold & Flu Day & Night tablets, a popular product of the retail giant, on social media.

The customer who was under the impression that they were purchasing a medicine containing paracetamol—a common ingredient in cold and flu medicines—was taken aback when they discovered a list of herbal and alternative ingredients on the back of the box.

SDC Images (25).png
A customer was shocked when they discovered the ingredients of Coles’s Cold & Flu Day & Night tablets. Image source: Shutterstock (left), Reddit (right).

These included echinacea, dry root, white willow, and dry leaf.

'Check the ingredients on your medicine,' the user advised.

'In the middle of a fever, turns out I just purchased some traditional Chinese/western herbal medicine from Coles instead of paracetamol.'

A closer examination of the front of the box revealed that the medication 'may help relieve' a range of symptoms, including pain, fever, headache, sore throat, coughing, and a runny nose—not that it would definitively relieve these symptoms.

The post sparked a flurry of responses, with many users highlighting the significance of the AUST numbers in the corner of the box, which indicates the efficacy of the medication.

'The markers on the box are Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) labels; AUST R means “tested for efficacy”, while AUST L basically just means “probably won’t kill you”. AUST L(A) is also good nowadays.'

Another user elaborated, 'Yep, “listed” products really just have to meet food safety standards, and, at most, can only claim that their product may help. Registered products have to prove efficacy.'

A third explained: 'Listed [means] the company claims they have evidence it works or loophole it onto the market as “has been traditionally used for blank”. Registered [means] [the company has] to hand the evidence to the TGA before they start selling.'

'In my opinion, [people] shouldn’t be buying drugs outside a pharmacy if you have the option,' they added.

This incident emphasised the importance of reading labels, especially when it comes to medication.

While supermarkets like Coles offer a range of over-the-counter medicines, not all of them contain the same active ingredients as those sold in pharmacies.

'You shouldn’t have to flip over and read the fine print to find the ingredients. It should be clearly printed on the front,' another commented.

A Coles spokesperson responded to the issue and said that the medication in question is very popular with customers.

'For short-term and effective pain remedies, we sell Coles brand Paracetamol tablets and capsules,' the spokesperson said.

'However, these days, our customers are frequently seeking alternatives to Paracetamol which includes natural herbal products to relieve symptoms when feeling unwell; such as our Coles Cold and Flu Day & Night tablets, which is one of our best-selling products.'

Tip
As with any herbal or other medicinal products, customers are encouraged to always read the label on any medication and follow the directions for use.

It's also worth noting that while herbal remedies can be effective for some, they may not work for everyone, and they can interact with other medications.

Always consult with a healthcare professional if you're unsure or before taking any new medication.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper discovered that a pack of Coles Cold & Flu Day & Night tablets contained herbal and alternative ingredients rather than paracetamol.
  • Consumers were urged to check the ingredients list carefully as some medicines sold in supermarkets like Coles may not contain the active pharmaceutical ingredients expected.
  • Social media users highlighted the importance of understanding the AUST numbers on medicine packaging, with 'AUST L' indicating a lesser level of evidence for efficacy.
  • Coles responded by noting the product is popular and that customers often seek alternatives to paracetamol, including herbal products to relieve symptoms. Customers are advised to read labels and follow directions for medication use.
What are your thoughts on this, dear members? Have you ever experienced something similar? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
That's brilliant! I buy Ki cold and flu as I can't take normal ones because of the blood pressure meds I'm on, so now I know Coles brand is another alternative for me. The Ki costs quite a lot so Coles may be cheaper for me.