Coles milk prices take another surprising turn—see how much you’ll be paying now!

In a surprising turn of events, Coles supermarket has made a significant change to the price of its own brand of milk.

This comes just months after the retail giant controversially raised the price by 10 cents per litre, a move that sparked widespread criticism.

Back in September 2023, Coles found itself in the hot seat for increasing the cost of its 3L milk varieties from $4.50 to $4.80 and its 2L cartons from $3.10 to $3.30.

This meant that the price of 3L varieties of Coles brand milk had surged by 80 cents in just over a year, marking a hefty 20 per cent increase.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 102014.png
Coles shoppers were shocked to see the supermarket’s milk prices after being controversial in the past few months. Image: Facebook

Meanwhile, Woolworths made no changes to the cost of its own brand range of milk, maintaining the same, lower prices.

This disparity between the two major supermarkets further fuelled the public's discontent with Coles' price hike.

However, in a dramatic reversal, Coles has now reduced its prices back down to pre-September levels.

The new prices of the supermarket’s brand of milk are now $1.60 for 1L, $3.10 for 2L, and $4.50 for 3L.

In a recent statement, a Coles spokesperson confirmed the price drop, assuring that it won’t result in its suppliers receiving less money.

'We know the cost-of-living pressures are front of mind for many Australians, which is why in November we lowered the shelf price of Coles Own Brand milk,' the spokesperson said.

‘We pride ourselves on giving customers the best value possible, including our Own Brand range.’

The spokesperson added: 'Helping customers with cost-of-living challenges remains our number one priority at Coles, which is why we lowered the price of more than 300 Aussie summer favourites in January with savings across the store, including meat, popular big-name brands and back-to-school essentials.'

The supermarket giant also emphasised its commitment to its dairy farmers, stating, 'We highly value the longstanding relationships with our dairy farmers, and there has been no reduction in the prices paid to our farmers as a result of the change.'

However, this issue of fair pricing for milk remains a contentious topic, with many arguing that supermarkets should pay more to support the dairy industry.

As shoppers, it's important to stay informed about these issues and consider the impact of our purchasing decisions on local industries.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket reduced the price of its own brand milk after previously increasing it, facing widespread criticism for the hike.
  • The new prices have been reverted to $1.60 for 1L, $3.10 for 2L, and $4.50 for 3L, aligning with pre-September levels.
  • The price drop came amid concerns over cost-of-living pressures affecting many Australians.
  • Coles has assured that the price reduction will not impact the amount paid to its dairy farmer suppliers.

What are your thoughts on the recent price changes at Coles? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I went into Coles yesterday to buy some vegetable and was quite disgusted with price of Broccoli they have put the price up to $9.90 a kilo. I didn't buy it, I'm not paying that much for Broccoli. That's shear robbeery

I went into Coles yesterday to buy some vegetable and was quite disgusted with price of Broccoli they have put the price up to $9.90 a kilo. I didn't buy it, I'm not paying that much for Broccoli. That's shear robbeery
why would you expect broccoli that is a SPRING produce to be cheap when off season? This idea that fruit & veg is available all year is the problem. Buy frozen in the off season (by not buying indicates it wasn't essential).

I wonder if Coles and WW are still donating to the milk farmers. If not the price should be lower still. Coles were fined big time for not passing the price hike which was promised to go the dairy farmers but kept it for themselves.

Reactions: TheBear
That just proves Coles were price gouging on milk and you multiply that across the board on so so many items and there is their increased profit for no reason and the customers cost of living crisis each and every time they walk into a major supermarket. Absolutely not good enough. We have greatly reduced what we buy from Coles and Woolworths now. Aldi is our first call but we can't get everything there but it is a good start.

The new prices of the supermarket’s brand of milk are now $1.60 for 1L, $3.10 for 2L, and $4.50 for 3L.

Yesterday, Coles 1L milk was still $1.70, 10 cents dearer than Woolies and 11 cents dearer than Aldi.

why would you expect broccoli that is a SPRING produce to be cheap when off season? This idea that fruit & veg is available all year is the problem. Buy frozen in the off season (by not buying indicates it wasn't essential).
Actually I have never seen it that price before. I usually purchase every fortnight as I like fresh vegetables but that really threw me.

I'm from Salisbury, South Australia, and this article reads like it has only just happened, this price drop has been in for quite awhile now!!
I buy 4 x 3 litre milks per week and when it jumped to $4.80 a bottle, I jumped too, as my bill went up $1.20! I'm sure this price increase of 10c per litre didn't last too long but in saying that, Coles must have made an absolute fortune in that period......greedy sods!!

Reactions: Narran