Coles' latest anti-shoplifting policy affects their own staff

Coles supermarkets have doubled down on their strict anti-shoplifting policies, but this time the crackdown is affecting their own employees.

The retail giant has begun enforcing compulsory bag checks on staff when they finish shifts, claiming it will reduce theft. However, many are questioning the effectiveness and ethics of the controversial new policy.

This latest move builds on Coles' increasingly hardcore stance against shoplifting in their stores. Previously, they have introduced CCTV monitoring and equipped employees with body cameras—all in the name of stopping thieves.

shutterstock_2212471681.jpg
Is Coles in the wrong here? Image source: Shutterstock.

But with the rising cost of groceries in a time of economic uncertainty, it seems Coles cannot trust its own workers. Employees must submit their personal bags for inspection when clocking off, or they risk being fired.

The change removes the previous policy where staff were only searched if specifically suspected of stealing. Critics argue that routinely checking everyone is ‘overkill’, especially as Coles employees are already among the lowest paid in Australia.

'The reason they are bag checking is because they know that their own workers are forced to think about stealing because they can’t afford food,' said Josh Cullinan, a representative of the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union.

The irony is that if Coles paid staff better wages, they'd be less incentivised to steal in the first place. Some have called out Coles for suspecting theft from workers they intentionally underpay. Especially as Coles was called out in June for underpaying staff by $25 million.

Coles maintains that compulsory checks are an industry standard practice, but some see it as profit-driven paranoia gone too far.

'I’m sure this has always been a thing? I worked for Coles as a teenager, and we would show our bags on the way out,' said one ex-employee, questioning if the policy is even ‘new’.

Whatever the case, Coles is determined to crack down on stealing from all sides. With Australians suffering rising costs of living, Coles apparently needs to squeeze every cent of profit it can.

The same profit-first mentality led to Coles shamefully being awarded a 2023 'Shonky Award' by consumer group CHOICE for 'cashing in during a cost-of-living crisis'.

Alongside fellow supermarket giant Woolworths, Coles earned condemnation for making over $1.1 billion in profit last year while raising prices on struggling consumers. Their unethical greed left a bad taste in Australians’ mouths.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles has implemented bag checks on staff members completing their shifts in an effort to combat shoplifting.
  • The policy, introduced last year, can see workers fired if they refuse to have their bags inspected.
  • According to the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union, the new policy stems from the high cost of groceries, leading to concerns staff may be tempted to steal.
  • Despite criticisms and scrutiny over various issues, a spokesperson for Coles insists that this bag check policy is a standard practice across the entire retail industry.

While retail theft is undoubtedly an issue, perhaps Coles should reflect on its own actions first. What do you think, members? Do you think it’s standard practice for employees' bags to be checked after work? Or if Coles is underpaying its staff, should they be looking at their own actions? Tell us what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
Wow! You don't know me, so you stop making assumptions.
Wow! Go to specsavers , had you seen my post properly it was not directed at you....maybe live by your own standards...don't assume!

@ leodalion63...Fyi...all major department stores have been doing this for years and I mean since the sixties at least so NOTHING NEW! Check your facts prior to making assumptions which are unfounded.
Secondly do you know ANYTHING about retail because your commentary shouts delusional! Unless you have worked for them..which in your case in sincerely doubt!! We ARE ALL hurting financially you are NOT the only ONE! So instead of whinging how about you make positive changes??
Sorry Lisa, I didn't explain myself properly.
With Coles, I meant the higher up who have made a profit not the workers. The workers in retail have a lot on the shoulders to bear the brunt of prices going up and facing people as well,regarding the ones who made a profit they just hide in their little hidey holes not caring about anything else but themselves. I know how hard the retailers work, so please except my apologies Lisa and to all the workers out there. I didn't explain myself clearly. As for the rule, show us your bags or get fired I find that deeply unfair to coles workers to be told that. I can understand with shoppers being asked but not the workers.

I know that these.supermarkets make what appears to be astronomical profits, but if you were to divide the amount by the number of stores,,(I
don't have any idea how many there is but it would thousands) I wonder how many more companies out there making the same amounts, just not reported as it doesn't sound as much.
After all the idea of being in business is to make money so you can't blame stores for making efforts to protect their income.
I had my own business years ago. I was good to my employees, paid them well, etc and yet on one particular day when my floor lady and I had to go to choose next seasons fabrics I asked one of the girls to lock up for me as we would be late back.
On return the guys in the next unit made a comment about the girls having a short day. Apparently they knocked off two hours early and one of the girls had left with a large roll of fabric.
I didn't say a word but on pay day their payslip showed minus two hours, and the one who stole the fabric got paid nothing, plus a bill for the balance of the cost of the fabric.
Not one of them said anything, the one who stole quit, good riddance to bad rubbish, and as she gave no notice she forfeited almost three weeks holiday pay
I would never be in a business again where I had to hire staff.
People should be grateful that other people take a chance going into business, which in turn provides them with a job and stop whinging.
Yes, unfortunately employees do steal.
I am really sorry to hear your story. Thank you for sharing that, I really do appreciate it. Maybe I shouldn't have been to quick to pen my opinion. Please take care.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
With Coles, I meant the higher up who have made a profit not the workers. The workers in retail have a lot on the shoulders to bear the brunt of prices going up and facing people as well,regarding the ones who made a profit they just hide in their little hidey holes not caring about anything else but themselves. I know how hard the retailers work, so please except my apologies Lisa and to all the workers out there. I didn't explain myself clearly. As for the rule, show us your bags or get fired I find that deeply unfair to coles workers to be told that. I can understand with shoppers being asked but not the workers.
Unfortunately workers do steal, as I mentioned in an earlier post and I only had 12 working for me.
Coles, Woolies and the like have thousands.
Years ago, in a local supermarket workers were caught only scanning every few items of family and friends, not scanning cigarettes and expensive items.
In an office I worked in as a teenager the amount of stationery ,"stolen" was so bad someone had to be given a key and put in charge of the stationery. People don't seem to think it's stealing. When you have a large number of people with the attitude 'oh it's just a pen, notebook, etc" it quickly adds up.
When flipping houses we had tradies walk off with expensive tools, swear blue in the face it wasn't them.
Apparently they just grew legs and walked off.
Unfortunately SOME staff do steal, and a lot more than you would think, so you can't blame employers for looking after their own interests.

Now I understand I do apologise if I was a bit abrasive also I have worked at both major supermarkets over 20yrs and a LOT has changed...I sincerely doubt they would be fired as policies and procedures would state this would be unacceptable and contacting HR to make a complaint...some department managers should not have their jobs.

Reactions: Leodalion63
Wow! Go to specsavers , had you seen my post properly it was not directed at you....maybe live by your own standards...don't assume!
The reply was not to you Lisa Don't know how it was attached to you. Sorry. My reply was to someone that replied to my comment.

Reactions: Leodalion63