Coles is hiding money-saving clues in their store - here's how to find them

We all love supermarket discounts! Just thinking about the convenience of pocketing a few extra dollars from shopping at our favourite store makes all our bills easier to manage.

That is if you can nab the best bargains and know exactly where to look for them!

Speaking of being knowledgeable about deals, if you’re a regular shopper at Coles, you may have observed a couple of ‘mysterious golden tickets’ plastered on supermarket aisles – the ‘Dropped and Locked’ and ‘Member Price’ tickets.

But do you know what they actually mean?

64254859-11396659-image-m-18_1667773073182.jpg

The tickets found inside Coles stores indicate discounts. Credit: Instagram/investwithqueenie.

A savvy shopper and personal finance guru revealed the secret behind these signs, calling them ‘secret weapons’ to save money on groceries every week.

Queenie Tan from Sydney advised to always keep an eye out for the 'Dropped and Locked' tickets whenever you shop at your local Coles store, claiming that the tickets indicate that the price of that particular item has been discounted and will be staying at a 'lower' price until the end of January 2023.

It should be noted, however, that the system is still relatively new so not a lot of items are discounted.

Aside from that, the 25-year-old also keeps an eye out for 'Member Price' tickets as they indicate a discounted price. If you scan your Flybuys card at the register you can also score discounts.

'Member pricing is available until November 29,' she said.

Elsewhere, the savvy shopper will stock up on anything that she feels is a great deal to buy in bulk because she can keep them at home. This includes items like oats, sugar, salt, tea, and of course, staples such as pasta and peanut butter.

On a more general level, Queenie reminded us that she starts with a shopping list as well as an organised list of bargains, sales, and deals.

Finally, Queenie revealed that she prefers to shop at different supermarkets to maximise her savings. Ditching a particular store altogether may be a tad drastic for most, but it may be a good option for a few.

Key Takeaways

• Queenie Tan, from Sydney, religiously scans the aisles looking for 'Dropped and Locked' tickets, as this means the price of that particular item has been dropped and will stay at that new price until 31 January 2023.
  • She also looks out for 'Member Price' tickets when she is supermarket shopping, as this means you need to scan your Flybuys card at the checkout to get a discount.
  • Queenie likes to get her everyday essentials from ALDI and then her spices from the international aisle at Woolworths or Coles.
  • When it comes to generally keeping her bill down, Queenie said she always starts with a shopping list, and she is a fan of the app 'Any List'.
  • Queenie said one of the easiest ways to reduce how much you spend on groceries is to buy sale items in bulk.

Were you surprised to know that there are so many little-known tricks to get lower prices at the supermarket? Do you know of more supermarket tricks? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I still buy my dog food at Cole's. Their home brand baked beans are also good value. I find I save a lot by shopping at small fruit and vege shops and local supermarkets. The big two, Woolies and Cole's, have inflated prices and poor customer service.

Reactions: Penny4
We all love supermarket discounts! Just thinking about the convenience of pocketing a few extra dollars from shopping at our favourite store makes all our bills easier to manage.

That is if you can nab the best bargains and know exactly where to look for them!

Speaking of being knowledgeable about deals, if you’re a regular shopper at Coles, you may have observed a couple of ‘mysterious golden tickets’ plastered on supermarket aisles – the ‘Dropped and Locked’ and ‘Member Price’ tickets.

But do you know what they actually mean?

64254859-11396659-image-m-18_1667773073182.jpg

The tickets found inside Coles stores indicate discounts. Credit: Instagram/investwithqueenie.

A savvy shopper and personal finance guru revealed the secret behind these signs, calling them ‘secret weapons’ to save money on groceries every week.

Queenie Tan from Sydney advised to always keep an eye out for the 'Dropped and Locked' tickets whenever you shop at your local Coles store, claiming that the tickets indicate that the price of that particular item has been discounted and will be staying at a 'lower' price until the end of January 2023.

It should be noted, however, that the system is still relatively new so not a lot of items are discounted.

Aside from that, the 25-year-old also keeps an eye out for 'Member Price' tickets as they indicate a discounted price. If you scan your Flybuys card at the register you can also score discounts.

'Member pricing is available until November 29,' she said.

Elsewhere, the savvy shopper will stock up on anything that she feels is a great deal to buy in bulk because she can keep them at home. This includes items like oats, sugar, salt, tea, and of course, staples such as pasta and peanut butter.

On a more general level, Queenie reminded us that she starts with a shopping list as well as an organised list of bargains, sales, and deals.

Finally, Queenie revealed that she prefers to shop at different supermarkets to maximise her savings. Ditching a particular store altogether may be a tad drastic for most, but it may be a good option for a few.

Key Takeaways

• Queenie Tan, from Sydney, religiously scans the aisles looking for 'Dropped and Locked' tickets, as this means the price of that particular item has been dropped and will stay at that new price until 31 January 2023.
  • She also looks out for 'Member Price' tickets when she is supermarket shopping, as this means you need to scan your Flybuys card at the checkout to get a discount.
  • Queenie likes to get her everyday essentials from ALDI and then her spices from the international aisle at Woolworths or Coles.
  • When it comes to generally keeping her bill down, Queenie said she always starts with a shopping list, and she is a fan of the app 'Any List'.
  • Queenie said one of the easiest ways to reduce how much you spend on groceries is to buy sale items in bulk.

Were you surprised to know that there are so many little-known tricks to get lower prices at the supermarket? Do you know of more supermarket tricks? Share them with us in the comments below!

I’ve never seen any of those signs in my nearby coles stores.

Also when you become a Flybuys member and a Woolies Rewards you can also get things for nothing, yep that's right nothing, you look at the catalogues every Wednesday and that is where they are. I have got cans of tuna, coffee so far. Who doesn't like getting something for nothing even most of the staff have no idea about these offers.

Also when you become a Flybuys member and a Woolies Rewards you can also get things for nothing, yep that's right nothing, you look at the catalogues every Wednesday and that is where they are. I have got cans of tuna, coffee so far. Who doesn't like getting something for nothing even most of the staff have no idea about these offers.
?
Care to elaborate?
I confess I can't see anything listed for nothing. I've been a member of both Flybuys and Woolies Rewards for years. Never have I seen anything offered for nothing.
I'm sure we'd all like to know your secret, so in the words of Pauline, please explain?

It doesn't happen in every catalogue, so I have a look down the bottom of the pages in the highlighted squares, from woolies I got a 185g can of a new product by Sirena, tuna and marinated vegetables and from Coles a couple of weeks ago they had a 200g Grinders ground coffee. All you do is find the product scan and when you put your rewards or flybuys through the price comes off.

Reactions: Jaynius