SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Coles in the 1960s

Who remembers the good old days when Coles was like a treasure trove of bargains and surprises? The feeling of walking into the store and seeing all the colourful tables scattered around, brimming with clearance and bargain items? It was like a mini-adventure, trying to find the coolest and most handy things you could afford. And let’s not forget the Starlet make-up and Embassy brand products! They were the kids' go-to Mother’s Day gifts, and the thrill of buying them for our mums was unbeatable. Today, Coles might be more organised, but nothing beats the nostalgia of those days. Do you have any fond memories of Coles in the ‘60s?

nostalgia.jpg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Coles in the 1960s

Who remembers the good old days when Coles was like a treasure trove of bargains and surprises? The feeling of walking into the store and seeing all the colourful tables scattered around, brimming with clearance and bargain items? It was like a mini-adventure, trying to find the coolest and most handy things you could afford. And let’s not forget the Starlet make-up and Embassy brand products! They were the kids' go-to Mother’s Day gifts, and the thrill of buying them for our mums was unbeatable. Today, Coles might be more organised, but nothing beats the nostalgia of those days. Do you have any fond memories of Coles in the ‘60s?

View attachment 16813
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

My sister & I use to go to Coles in the 70's in Pitt street Sydney before it became a mall.

Brings back memories of my first job, I was 13 years old and had a Saturday morning job at Coles.
My 2 friends and I applied and had to do a maths test, one friend didn't pass do missed.
It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly but I assume it was because we needed to be able to add and subtract so we could work out the cost of several items and the change required.
Recently, I was getting take away chinese, there was a power outage and the lass in the shop couldn't work out how much I owed or the change required??

Thanks for that memory, my brother and particularly liked the sponge cake topped with cream and jelly.
I remember going to Coles in the school holidays as a family so we could eat in the old style Coles cafeteria, pie, mash, pies and gravy and a lime spider. Those were the days of fond memories of a family outing going to town on the red rattler trains and having a Coles lunch - simple pleasures.

I loved it when Mum went shopping at Coles in Oakleigh. My favourite things were the tiny colourful plastic baby dolls. It was always difficult to decide which colour doll to choose, and sometimes I was lucky and Mum would buy me 2 or 3 of them. Even though I was only a kid, the dolls were still small enough to fit into my hand.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
Mum used to take my sister brother and my self to by new clothes in November and as a treat we would go to Coles Caf for lunch we always had the sponge cake with cream and jelly on top Today I make that same cake for my family

• Love
I loved this style of shopping in the 60's - it was so enjoyable to walk around and look at everything - coles and woollies in w.a. And then afterwards coles had the upstairs cafeteria with great food and cakes - all sorts - it was a great time and place to meet-up as it was in the Perth CBD - such a great time to have experienced growing up as a child/teenager/young adult! Special Times!

• Love
I used to work in Coles Penrith about 1968. I stood in the middle of the menswear counter serving the customers. Now I work in Coles Armidale on the registers. It is so different!!!!

• Love
Awww! A massive thank you to everyone who responded to this post. Reading all of your responses was an absolute delight - from going to Coles with your family to the delicious food and cakes at the cafeteria! Lovely memories! 🥰

In the town (Vic) where I grew up, we had a very small store which was called Coles Variety which was separate from the grocery store. I also remember as a young adult (many years later) the Coles Variety store in Prahran (Vic) which looks very much like the picture above. They certainly had a great range in one store and it was where I bought my first cutlery set which I still have today. Good memories in simpler times. Thanks.