Coles' groundbreaking move eliminates plastic openings on tissue boxes – discover how it affects you!

When we think about getting rid of single-use plastics, our minds often drift to plastic bags, water bottles, and straws. That's why we're absolutely thrilled to see supermarket giant Coles taking a stand against plastic waste in another common household item: tissue boxes!

Coles has decided to redesign its home brand tissue boxes, doing away with the plastic openings altogether. This might sound like a small change on the surface, but according to the company, such a move could eliminate an estimated 13 tonnes of plastic each year. That's the equivalent of about 412,000 plastic bags not going to waste—quite an impressive accomplishment if you ask us!

1684984051882.png
Coles brand tissue boxes have undergone a change where the plastic opening is no longer included. Source: Coles

Not only will Coles' redesigned tissue boxes help address the problem of plastic accumulation in the environment, but the new boxes themselves will also be produced from 95% recycled material. What a win-win situation!

The change also means that customers can now toss these cardboard tissue boxes directly into the paper recycling bins without the hassle of removing the plastic material first.

Coles General Manager of Own Brand Quality and Responsible Sourcing, Charlotte Rhodes, said this important change is part of Coles' ambition for a more sustainable future, aiming to have 100% reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging by 2025.

'This small but significant change will remove 13 tonnes of plastic from circulation in one year, which is the equivalent of 412,000 plastic bags,' she said. 'Our customers want to see change when it comes to plastic packaging, and this is one way of giving customers a choice to be part of the solution,' Charlotte added.

This big step by Coles follows the announcement made earlier this month that it will stop selling soft-plastic shopping bags by July. Rival supermarket Woolworths has already begun phasing out its 15c soft-plastic shopping bags.

Recycling and Waste Management in Australia​

Recycling and waste management are an important part of keeping Australia—and the world —as clean and safe as possible. Looking at the waste management practices here in Australia, the federal government has implemented regulations and strategies to reduce the burden of waste management and to promote sustainability. This includes managing recycling infrastructure, providing support to local governments and developing a Circular Economy Strategy.

The main plastic packaging recyclers in Australia are REDcycle and Soft Plastics Recycling programs, although some local governments have their own initiatives. The REDcycle program collects plastic packaging from supermarkets, such as Coles, for recycling. The Soft Plastics Recycling program collects plastic film and other soft plastics for recycling.

The Australian government also works to limit the amount of material in the waste stream by encouraging reuse through initiatives like the 'Buy/Restore/Donate' program. This program encourages the public to buy products, restore them to their original condition and then donate them to their local community. This helps to prevent products from becoming surplus waste.

In addition, the government runs campaigns and initiatives to educate the public on reducing plastic waste and promoting sustainable waste management practices, such as ‘Skip the plastic straw’. It also aims to further reduce the amount of plastic waste through education and lead by example, such as Coles' recent announcement to stop selling plastic shopping bags by July.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles has removed plastic openings from some of its home brand tissue boxes in a move that will take an estimated 13 tonnes of plastic out of circulation each year.
  • The redesigned tissue boxes are made from 95% recycled material and can be placed directly into paper recycling bins without having to remove any plastic.
  • Coles General Manager of Own Brand Quality and Responsible Sourcing, Charlotte Rhodes, said the change was part of Coles' aim to have 100% reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging by 2025.
  • Earlier this month, Coles announced it would stop selling soft-plastic shopping bags by July, in line with Woolworths' phasing out of soft-plastic shopping bags in some states.
It's heartening to see such positive action being taken by our local supermarkets, and as members of the Seniors Discount Club, we encourage everyone to support this sustainable revolution. Next time you're down at the shops, why not opt for Coles' redesigned tissue boxes or Woolworths' reusable bags? Every little bit helps in making a difference and, ultimately, preserving our beautiful planet for future generations.

Remember to share your own sustainable shopping tips, tricks, and stories with the community by leaving comments or joining discussions on our platform.

Together, we can inspire and support one another in consciously reducing plastic waste and working towards a greener future.

Sponsored
I purchase the Quilon 3x ply tissues and toilet paper. Tried the 2x ply tissues when on sae but back on the 3x ply which I got on sale.

Hoping they go on sale again soon so can buy a few more boxes.

The plastic part does disturb me and I remove it before putting the empty box into the recycle bin. A tighter cardboard slip should suffice. I'm pretty sure that the tissue boxes were only boxes, no plastic in the 80's and before. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Bindii and Ricci
This looks like a joke ! If you really want to reduce plastic , remove all the plastic bags out of the shops . When I was shopping at Coles last week , just about every shopper bought the Coles plastic bags , I think I was the only one who brought my own bags from home .
What are they going to do about the biscuits , crackers , muesli, sugar and all the other products you buy in plastic covers ? If we want to reduce plastic , there is hardly any plastic in the tissue boxes. By the way , there is nothing wrong to the old cotton hankies.

• Wow
Reactions: Reaper123 and Ricci
I have used Coles tissues for years and they were always sold for 99cents. Then since Covid they had increased the price. Now they are $1.70 per box. I will go back to buying my tissues at the chemist for
$1.29 I know that they are a bit smaller, but still better value than at Coles.