Coles extends its ‘Quiet Hour’ for customers with sensory challenges

Shopping can be tough for anyone, but it can be even more stressful for people with sensory challenges.

What most take for granted—the bright lights and the constant buzz of activity in places like supermarkets—is an overwhelming experience for some.

That’s why it’s no surprise that Coles has made a significant move to extend their Quiet Hour across its stores to five days a week to help customers who struggle with high-sensory environments.

Quiet Hour was introduced in 2017 at selected stores. It was only available between 10:30 am to 11:30 am on Tuesdays.

But now, the low-sensory shopping experience will run between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm on weekdays to help those who need it, including working parents.

During these designated hours, Coles Radio will be turned down, alongside register and scanner volumes, and store staff will only use the public address (PA) system in emergencies.

compressed-shutterstock_2134508533.jpeg
Coles extended its Quiet Hour to help people with sensory challenges. Credit: Shutterstock

This low-sensory experience lets people with autism and their families shop more comfortably without the bombardment of lights, sounds, or smells that can make an already difficult task even harder.

The positive news has been greatly appreciated by parents of autistic children, like Jasmine Parker and her daughter, Evie, 10.

‘Our family is just like any other, and we have the same need to do essential things, like grocery shopping, so being able to do this in an environment that I know is more supportive of some autistic people’s needs is a huge relief,’ Jasmine said.

‘For my husband and I, just having the option to bring our daughter along with us to do our grocery shopping without the added worry of it being too overwhelming for her from a sensory perspective, or that it won’t cause her distress, is something we are really thankful for,’ she added.

According to Coles's Head of Diversity and Inclusion Katie Wyatt, Coles always find ways to serve customers with disabilities and their carers.

‘Up to 70 per cent of autistic people experience sensitivity to sounds, with autistic adults reporting that these symptoms worsen with stress and anxiety therefore, Quiet Hour promotes increased opportunity and enhances the shopping experience for thousands of customers,’ she said.

Coles paired up with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation established in 2021 to help autistic people and their families with their needs, such as collaborating in the store environment.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.51.36 AM.png
Coles partnered with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation, to make Quiet Hour possible. Credit: @amazeautism / Instagram

'The expansion of their low-sensory shopping experience is just another example of the many steps that they have taken over the years to understand and purposefully meet the needs of not only their autistic customers but also their autistic employees,' Amaze CEO Jim Mullan said.

Woolworths also introduced Quiet Hour in 2021 to extend its customer service to those with sensory overload, crowd and noise anxiety, and those with specific needs.

Woolworths’s Quiet Hour takes place from 10:30 am to 11:30 am daily at select branches nationwide.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has extended its 'Quiet Hour' initiative to five days a week, between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm, providing a low-sensory shopping experience for customers.
  • During the 'Quiet Hour', radio and register volumes are lowered, and PA usage is minimised to cater to customers, such as those with autism, who find high-sensory environments challenging.
  • The initiative, first introduced in a few stores in 2017, has been well-received by the autism community, including families of autistic individuals, who appreciate the inclusive effort.
  • Coles partnered with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation, to further cater to the needs of autistic customers and employees.
What do you think of this story? Have you ever shopped at supermarkets during Quiet Hour? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I have not tried quiet hour shopping yet, but I do object to the thump thump music in some of the shopping centres. I guess the only way to avert this is to remove my hearing aids, or go online to shop. Yesterday at Aspendale Gardens even the toilets have loud hip-hop music.

Most people are home getting Dinner ready by 6pm. I certainly wouldn't want to have to go shopping after working all day. I think the earlier option of 10.30 to 11.30 is better and could include weekends so working parents can take advantage of quiet time as well.

Reactions: magpie1
Shopping can be tough for anyone, but it can be even more stressful for people with sensory challenges.

What most take for granted—the bright lights and the constant buzz of activity in places like supermarkets—is an overwhelming experience for some.

That’s why it’s no surprise that Coles has made a significant move to extend their Quiet Hour across its stores to five days a week to help customers who struggle with high-sensory environments.

Quiet Hour was introduced in 2017 at selected stores. It was only available between 10:30 am to 11:30 am on Tuesdays.

But now, the low-sensory shopping experience will run between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm on weekdays to help those who need it, including working parents.

During these designated hours, Coles Radio will be turned down, alongside register and scanner volumes, and store staff will only use the public address (PA) system in emergencies.

View attachment 34797
Coles extended its Quiet Hour to help people with sensory challenges. Credit: Shutterstock

This low-sensory experience lets people with autism and their families shop more comfortably without the bombardment of lights, sounds, or smells that can make an already difficult task even harder.

The positive news has been greatly appreciated by parents of autistic children, like Jasmine Parker and her daughter, Evie, 10.

‘Our family is just like any other, and we have the same need to do essential things, like grocery shopping, so being able to do this in an environment that I know is more supportive of some autistic people’s needs is a huge relief,’ Jasmine said.

‘For my husband and I, just having the option to bring our daughter along with us to do our grocery shopping without the added worry of it being too overwhelming for her from a sensory perspective, or that it won’t cause her distress, is something we are really thankful for,’ she added.

According to Coles's Head of Diversity and Inclusion Katie Wyatt, Coles always find ways to serve customers with disabilities and their carers.

‘Up to 70 per cent of autistic people experience sensitivity to sounds, with autistic adults reporting that these symptoms worsen with stress and anxiety therefore, Quiet Hour promotes increased opportunity and enhances the shopping experience for thousands of customers,’ she said.

Coles paired up with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation established in 2021 to help autistic people and their families with their needs, such as collaborating in the store environment.

View attachment 34798
Coles partnered with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation, to make Quiet Hour possible. Credit: @amazeautism / Instagram

'The expansion of their low-sensory shopping experience is just another example of the many steps that they have taken over the years to understand and purposefully meet the needs of not only their autistic customers but also their autistic employees,' Amaze CEO Jim Mullan said.

Woolworths also introduced Quiet Hour in 2021 to extend its customer service to those with sensory overload, crowd and noise anxiety, and those with specific needs.

Woolworths’s Quiet Hour takes place from 10:30 am to 11:30 am daily at select branches nationwide.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has extended its 'Quiet Hour' initiative to five days a week, between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm, providing a low-sensory shopping experience for customers.
  • During the 'Quiet Hour', radio and register volumes are lowered, and PA usage is minimised to cater to customers, such as those with autism, who find high-sensory environments challenging.
  • The initiative, first introduced in a few stores in 2017, has been well-received by the autism community, including families of autistic individuals, who appreciate the inclusive effort.
  • Coles partnered with Amaze, a not-for-profit autism organisation, to further cater to the needs of autistic customers and employees.
What do you think of this story? Have you ever shopped at supermarkets during Quiet Hour? Let us know in the comments below!
Coles chose 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm for quiet hour as it is NOT very busy as everybody is having dinner.

View attachment 34797

View attachment 34798

Key Takeaways

Cachin Cachin the Greedy Global Monopolies will do anything to make Money ,I'd be shopping elsewhere at Small Family owned Stores and Markets that are already quieter and better Value and need Our Support desperately

I have not tried quiet hour shopping yet, but I do object to the thump thump music in some of the shopping centres. I guess the only way to avert this is to remove my hearing aids, or go online to shop. Yesterday at Aspendale Gardens even the toilets have loud hip-hop music.
Totally agree. Why do we need music in all the stores?
Tried to purchase some clothing in one store and had to leave, couldn't hear myself think.
No hearing aids, just can't stand overly loud noise.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I always shop after lunch and before school comes out. This is generally less busy than mornings. Maybe quiet time could also be for an hour during this time. It would be good if stores had 2/3 hours continuous quiet time on weekends and during school holidays, this would give families more time to shop without feeling pressured to hurry, making a more relaxed shopping experience.

Maybe they could introduce realistic prices instead of ripping people off. These money grubs will try anything to get you in their shop except lowering prices. Coles and Woolies have become Australias biggest scammers.

Don t need music. It would be better not to have staff doing online shopping etc during the day, do this in the evening. I find you cannot get to the shelves also a lot of products missing as shelves not been replenished.

View attachment 34797

View attachment 34798

Key Takeaways

Give me strength...... the world has gone crackers. I don't give a tinkers cuss whether it's quiet or not as long as you can get some service.... not that it affects me as I do not shop at coles or Woollies.....