Coles experiences ‘technical mishap’ with new anti-theft device

It's no secret that retail theft is an ongoing issue for supermarkets.

They will go to protect their merchandise—from security guards and CCTV cameras to more discreet sensor detection technologies. And let's not forget those alarms at store exits.

But Coles has devised a new way to protect their stores and customers.

Coles is now installing ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ devices at its stores across the country.

The ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ releases a thick fog over shelves, check-outs, and store registers when an alarm is triggered after hours, making it difficult for thieves to see within the premises.

20231121_082027_0000.png
Coles’s Anti-Theft Fog creates a mishap in one of its stores. Credit: Reddit

However, a 'technical mishap' at one store made people witness the ‘smoke cloak’ in action—the fog began to be released during store hours.

A shopper shared photos of their alarming experience on social media.

They said they went grocery shopping at Coles’s Melbourne late at night when the smoke filled the front of the store.

‘Not sure exactly what happened as I was wearing my headphones and zoned out in my own world, but I stopped by my local Coles to grab something for dinner on my way home around 10:20 pm last night,’ they said.

'As I was walking to the checkout, I heard a loud pop and smoke gradually filling the store (there was no burning smell, and everyone in the store was relatively calm, however, the firm alarm did go off).’

'The smoke eventually went away after two to three minutes. Does anyone know what it may have been?'

Several users answered that the smoke was likely the store’s anti-theft device.

‘Anti-theft fog, it’s used to stop thieves,’ one confirmed.

‘They're meant to go off if the store is broken into/ram raided after closing time as it’s nearly impossible to steal stuff when you can't see s***,’ another said.

‘Definitely a malfunction if it was during open times.’

Another commented, ‘It’s called a smoke cloak.’

The shopper said he wasn’t aware that this type of device existed.

‘Thank you to everyone who took the time to clarify that it’s a security/anti-theft mechanism,” they said.

‘I genuinely had no idea that they used them at grocery shops!’

It’s also understood that there are no health risks associated with fog technology.

Did you know that Coles has another security measure in its stores?

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

‘I had no idea Coles had tech to lock up your trolley,’ he told his shocking experience.

According to Coles, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at several of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Coles also confirmed that they employ plain-clothes 'loss prevention officers' and use other anti-theft measures, such as product protection and target hardening, to ensure their customers’ safety and the security of goods.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is installing 'Anti-Theft Fog' devices in stores around Australia to deter robbery attempts.
  • The technology works by discharging a heavy fog, hindering visibility, when a break-in is detected after hours.
  • A 'technical mishap' at a Melbourne store allowed customers to witness the device in action.
Members, do you think anti-theft fog devices are an effective tool for catching thieves? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
It seems a bit like a plot in a cartoon tbh. A bit of smoke won’t stop someone determined to rob the place. But I’m not an expert on crime so who knows lol

Just another security gadget. I shop at our local Coles and they've recently installed 'security gates' that are supposed to stop anyone who hasn't paid from leaving the store! Problem is they're not wide enough to allow shoppers who use mobility aids such as I do, and who HAVE paid fully for their purchases, to actually leave the store until a staff member pushes the devices to one side to allow us to proceed! Obviously Coles no longer wants their disabled or elderly customers either!

They will go to protect their merchandise—from security guards and CCTV cameras to more discreet sensor detection technologies. And let's not forget those alarms at store exits.

Coles is now installing ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ devices at its stores across the country.

The ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ releases a thick fog over shelves, check-outs, and store registers when an alarm is triggered after hours, making it difficult for thieves to see within the premises.

View attachment 35297

However, a 'technical mishap' at one store made people witness the ‘smoke cloak’ in action—the fog began to be released during store hours.

They said they went grocery shopping at Coles’s Melbourne late at night when the smoke filled the front of the store.

‘Not sure exactly what happened as I was wearing my headphones and zoned out in my own world, but I stopped by my local Coles to grab something for dinner on my way home around 10:20 pm last night,’ they said.

'As I was walking to the checkout, I heard a loud pop and smoke gradually filling the store (there was no burning smell, and everyone in the store was relatively calm, however, the firm alarm did go off).’

'The smoke eventually went away after two to three minutes. Does anyone know what it may have been?'

‘They're meant to go off if the store is broken into/ram raided after closing time as it’s nearly impossible to steal stuff when you can't see s***,’ another said.

‘Thank you to everyone who took the time to clarify that it’s a security/anti-theft mechanism,” they said.

It’s also understood that there are no health risks associated with fog technology.

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience, that as he was pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

‘I had no idea Coles had tech to lock up your trolley,’ he told his shocking experience.

According to Coles, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at several of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Coles also confirmed that they employ plain-clothes 'loss prevention officers' and use other anti-theft measures, such as product protection and target hardening, to ensure their customers’ safety and the security of goods.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is installing 'Anti-Theft Fog' devices in stores around Australia to deter robbery attempts.
  • The technology works by discharging a heavy fog, hindering visibility, when a break-in is detected after hours.
  • A 'technical mishap' at a Melbourne store allowed customers to witness the device in action.
Members, do you think anti-theft fog devices are an effective tool for catching thieves? Let us know in the comments below!

This is a very "foggy" idea which will not work, especially if after 2-3 minutes it dissipates. Employing plain clothes security throughout the day and having proper CCTV cameras, is much simpler. Supermarkets should be open only until 9pm end of story. My hate is to see people "tasting" fruits, nuts and soft drinks (without paying) whilst pushing the trolley to buy other products they may need.

Reactions: Ezzy
What is the chemistry of that fog? Asbestos was once deemed safe, as was 2-4-5T as sprayed on Vietnam from aeroplanes. As was once the DDT thrown over British servicemen when being landed in Taranto and which was also rubbed into their blankets to kill lice.

View attachment 35297

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience, that as he was pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

Key Takeaways

Coles management are really into it with this anti-theft measures in their stores. How about in the management offices? The management had for a long while underpaid their staff until they were found out. Perhaps anti-theft measures would do wonders in their offices too.

Coles management are really into it with this anti-theft measures in their stores. How about in the management offices? The management had for a long while underpaid their staff until they were found out. Perhaps anti-theft measures would do wonders in their offices too.
That is an excellent point.......the buck stops at Management level.

Done my shopping in Coles shop in Joondalup. That was a last visit to this shop. Support local business and move on. The slowest possible cashiers. No training whatsoever. On the end they took my photo to. Where is this photo going to? What about some privacy? Yesterday Coles held a Christmas party. They do not invite me. They should. After all they are employing me. All the people working there as cashiers before are gone. Thank you Coles. I am going to boycott your shop from now on. I hope more people will follow the trend. It is intimidating to shop in your stores.

I would be concerned about any smoke that might affect one’s breathing especially if persons has asthma or COPD. Breathing is difficult enough without extra irritants.