Coles employee reveals what their ‘disappointing’ Christmas gift is from the company

Saying thank you is a gesture that should never be taken lightly; especially when someone has worked hard year-round on our behalf. But that’s not what Coles employees are saying after an internal memo was released online, revealing how little the supermarket giant thought of their hard work and efforts.

The memo revealed frontline supermarket staffers will receive a branded Coles drink bottle and five 'mythanks' points–reportedly worth about $5–as a Christmas gift.

'It’s been a huge year, and we would like to thank you all for your hard work! We have listened to your feedback and are excited to announce that this year’s team member gift is sustainable and personalised!' The memo reads.

'Our elves have been busy making Coles water bottles.'

With the company recording a total sales revenue of $40.5 billion this year—up 5.9 per cent from 2022—there had been a hope among staff that the gift would be a little more generous.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 101250.png
Coles employees are disappointed over the Christmas gift they will receive. Image: Coles Supermarket

'Despite a year of record profits, the executives at Coles decided that the frontline staff who work their a**** off and cop abuse on the daily are only worthy of a Coles branded water bottle. What an absolute joke. Do better, Coles,' the disgruntled employee wrote in their post.

The simple act of thanks has been pulled apart line-by-line by the online community. Even the choice of using the word 'elves' to describe those people within the supply chain responsible for making the products was also questioned—particularly given many of the bottles have been deemed 'landfill fodder'.

Current and past Coles employees, along with other supermarket employees, also joined the discussion.

'Coles managers would place plastic water bottles in the tearooms for staff, but Coles revoked this due to (the) environmental impact just under a year ago, stating they would come up with another solution soon...distributing water bottles is what I expected from them, but not as a Christmas gift,' one person said.

‘I’ve worked for companies that give this sort of thing away for free. They’ll just have a huge box (and) you can take as many as you want. That should give you an idea of the cost businesses pay for these bottles,’ another said.

‘Has anyone ever, ever just considered a bonus in pay for that fortnight?’ another asked.

d68hb2t9v12c1.jpg
A leaked company memo from Coles regarding their Christmas gifts. Image: Reddit

Other motives hidden behind the guise of ‘gift-giving’ were also questioned.

'This is the head office’s way of saying we don’t like the varied types of personal drink bottles you store at your tills. Use this one so you all have no individuality. Just like your uniforms,' one person wrote.

‘I work in one of the Coles distribution centres. We were asked to vote on our Christmas present, a $25 gift card OR a Coles branded umbrella, and were laughing at how pathetic that was, but they’ve really outdone themselves for the supermarket workers,’ another said.

‘Companies give out free branded water bottles everywhere. It is free advertising when people carry it around for them. This is more than a slap in the face,’ another said.

Meanwhile, Coles defended the gift, saying the drink bottle was an 'additional gift' to 'show our appreciation for their work' and it accompanies the in-store and online discounts and increased Flybuy points annually on offer to staff over the holiday months.

‘Each of our stores also have a Christmas gathering, which includes a shared meal to celebrate as a team,’ the company said.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles has faced criticism from staff over its Christmas gift, which consisted of a branded drink bottle and five ‘mythanks’ points worth about $5.
  • The company’s gesture received negative responses online, with some referring to the gift as 'cheap merch' and others questioning whether it was simply a promotional strategy.
  • Disgruntled employees have voiced their disappointment, highlighting Coles’ recent profit increase and suggesting the company should show more appreciation for its frontline workers.
  • Coles responded by stating that the drink bottle was an additional gift, alongside in-store and online discounts and increased Flybuy points offered to staff over the holiday season.

We want to hear your thoughts−especially if any of you have been long-term Coles customers. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
It wouldn’t hurt Coles to give their staff a decent gift at Christmas. Years back I worked at Asda supermarket in the UK and every Christmas we got a voucher for a turkey which really helped with Christmas dinner. My son works for Reece plumbing and their staff get a generous bonus. Where I recently retired from gave a small gift voucher at Christmas. We also used to get a staff Christmas party and a team lunch all paid for but Covid seemed to stop that and it was never reinstated

Saying thank you is a gesture that should never be taken lightly; especially when someone has worked hard year-round on our behalf. But that’s not what Coles employees are saying after an internal memo was released online, revealing how little the supermarket giant thought of their hard work and efforts.

The memo revealed frontline supermarket staffers will receive a branded Coles drink bottle and five 'mythanks' points–reportedly worth about $5–as a Christmas gift.

'It’s been a huge year, and we would like to thank you all for your hard work! We have listened to your feedback and are excited to announce that this year’s team member gift is sustainable and personalised!' The memo reads.

With the company recording a total sales revenue of $40.5 billion this year—up 5.9 per cent from 2022—there had been a hope among staff that the gift would be a little more generous.

View attachment 35842
Coles employees are disappointed over the Christmas gift they will receive. Image: Coles Supermarket

'Despite a year of record profits, the executives at Coles decided that the frontline staff who work their a**** off and cop abuse on the daily are only worthy of a Coles branded water bottle. What an absolute joke. Do better, Coles,' the disgruntled employee wrote in their post.

The simple act of thanks has been pulled apart line-by-line by the online community. Even the choice of using the word 'elves' to describe those people within the supply chain responsible for making the products was also questioned—particularly given many of the bottles have been deemed 'landfill fodder'.

Current and past Coles employees, along with other supermarket employees, also joined the discussion.

'Coles managers would place plastic water bottles in the tearooms for staff, but Coles revoked this due to (the) environmental impact just under a year ago, stating they would come up with another solution soon...distributing water bottles is what I expected from them, but not as a Christmas gift,' one person said.

‘I’ve worked for companies that give this sort of thing away for free. They’ll just have a huge box (and) you can take as many as you want. That should give you an idea of the cost businesses pay for these bottles,’ another said.

‘Has anyone ever, ever just considered a bonus in pay for that fortnight?’ another asked.

View attachment 35843

'This is the head office’s way of saying we don’t like the varied types of personal drink bottles you store at your tills. Use this one so you all have no individuality. Just like your uniforms,' one person wrote.

‘I work in one of the Coles distribution centres. We were asked to vote on our Christmas present, a $25 gift card OR a Coles branded umbrella, and were laughing at how pathetic that was, but they’ve really outdone themselves for the supermarket workers,’ another said.

‘Companies give out free branded water bottles everywhere. It is free advertising when people carry it around for them. This is more than a slap in the face,’ another said.

Meanwhile, Coles defended the gift, saying the drink bottle was an 'additional gift' to 'show our appreciation for their work' and it accompanies the in-store and online discounts and increased Flybuy points annually on offer to staff over the holiday months.

‘Each of our stores also have a Christmas gathering, which includes a shared meal to celebrate as a team,’ the company said.

Key Takeaways

• Coles has faced criticism from staff over its Christmas gift, which consisted of a branded drink bottle and five ‘mythanks’ points worth about $5.
  • The company’s gesture received negative responses online, with some referring to the gift as 'cheap merch' and others questioning whether it was simply a promotional strategy.
  • Disgruntled employees have voiced their disappointment, highlighting Coles’ recent profit increase and suggesting the company should show more appreciation for its frontline workers.
  • Coles responded by stating that the drink bottle was an additional gift, alongside in-store and online discounts and increased Flybuy points offered to staff over the holiday season.

We want to hear your thoughts−especially if any of you have been long-term Coles customers. Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Coles/Kmart has not changed since I worked for them over 30yrs ago, I worked for SuperK which was a combination of both stores into one, the Christmas gift.......was a staff party yep that's it no more, don't think they do it anymore

How long were you in your job and why did they put you off , just curious 🤔 I'm 62 and wondering what the job opportunities are now for the over 60s
I applied for and was successful in my application for employment at 64 and now I am 66 and told I can stay as long as I want.

Reactions: DrivingGirl

View attachment 35842

View attachment 35843

Key Takeaways

What a company scumbag Coles is billion's in profits 📈 and you give them a drink bottle how pathetic well workers next year should be a doozey give them nothing the arseholes

ha ha when I look back at office jobs I had I don’t see any Christmas gifts Now retired I give small gifts and cards to delivery people chemist girl cleaning lady etc chocolates or this year local special biscuits. And hand made card. Just a small gift but I appreciate their services
I’m certain they appreciate your thoughtfulness very much 👏🏻

Reactions: wendell
I applied for and was successful in my application for employment at 64 and now I am 66 and told I can stay as long as I want.
Wow lucky you!
I worked until I was 72 full time running a department- until one day they decided I was too old and took my clients that I had brought into the company and established there - then they reneged on the deal we made so I lost over $20,000.
Nothing I could do, when you’re old you really don’t matter!

I worked in the same job for 30 years.
Bonus? What's a bonus? Christmas or otherwise.
Sales people received commission as well as weekly wage, management received monthly and annual bonus payments, office staff and blue collar staff received a pay every week, that's it.
As far as Xmas bonus went, Naaaah ... never heard of such a thing. Never expected .. never received. At the time, quite frankly, I was happy that I had a job at all.
My oldest boy gets a leg ham at Xmas ... now that would be welcome.

Reactions: Beauty28
always give our garbo drivers a six pack of beer at Christmas to either drink themselves or share with others they work with........

View attachment 35842

View attachment 35843

Key Takeaways

Coles are scum. If this is the way they are going to treat their staff for all the hard work they have put in for this company and the million's Coles has received from patrons and staff purchases, then I will take my business elsewhere. Lift your game Coles. You have made more than enough profit for this year. It wouldn't hurt you to reward those who have made it possible getting you there, and also the customers. Absolute scum bags.

There are so many companies that do not give any gifts to staff. So many people work at Christmas and no thanks is given. Try just losing your job now without any Christmas cheer. People are concerned with what Cole's is giving staff.. Please focus on other important things
Well said and also remember that the people actually paying for this are the Coles customers.

Reactions: Gsr and Beauty28
I have worked most of my life since I was 16, in nursing, motel receptionist, aged care, for a health fund, now in a Bunnings. In all those years I received 1 gift from 1 aged care provider I spent 10 years with, 1 pamper afternoon from another aged care provider I spent 5 years with, this was hairdressers, massages, a manicure and nail polish, and a few other nice things, a nice lunch and small gift organised at the facility by our manager. It was a wonderful afternoon. My motel manager gave me a small cash bonus each Christmas. Now I’m at Bunnings, we get a nice, usually useful gift every year, and a Bunnings gift card for a decent amount. I know we have to spend it at Bunnings, but who doesn’t shop there. I have never expected to get a Christmas gift from any employer. I think the Coles workers should be grateful they got anything and learn to be more appreciative.

The staff discounts they get, not only Coles itself but insurance, liquor stores, etc is more than you might expect. Too many staff to provide bonus at Christmas. They do ok.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
what a load of shit. the elves have been busy. get real coles and up your anti.
Exactly. With a $40.5 billion total sales revenue, up 5.9 per cent from 2022, $5 worth of points & a company branded water bottle possibly made in China for 50 cents is an insult in today's world.

Companies l worked for in the past put on a Christmas party or gave us a party & half a day off as one example. Without employees doing the hard yards, investors wouldn't have a bonus.

Reactions: siameezer
Exactly. With a $40.5 billion total sales revenue, up 5.9 per cent from 2022, $5 worth of points & a company branded water bottle possibly made in China for 50 cents is an insult in today's world.

Companies l worked for in the past put on a Christmas party or gave us a party & half a day off as one example. Without employees doing the hard yards, investors wouldn't have a bonus.
And without people prepared to put their money on the line and go into. business and shareholders prepared to risk their money on the stock exchange the workers would have no jobs.
And as a once small business owner I can tell you that a very large percentage of workers do not do the
hard yards, in fact many of them are outright bludgers.
I was ever so glad to sell my business and swore I would never emplöy anyone ever again. Out of 12 workers I had two that were worth their weight in gold and I made sure they got a very generous bonus st Xmas.

• Angry
And without people prepared to put their money on the line and go into. business and shareholders prepared to risk their money on the stock exchange the workers would have no jobs.
And as a once small business owner I can tell you that a very large percentage of workers do not do the
hard yards, in fact many of them are outright bludgers.
I was ever so glad to sell my business and swore I would never emplöy anyone ever again. Out of 12 workers I had two that were worth their weight in gold and I made sure they got a very generous bonus st Xmas.
Don't you think you have to have money to make an investment in the first place? Sometimes people with too much money who can afford to lose some. I worked for one such person who had Coles shares & was also a self funded retiree. Too much money, perhaps?
Companies l worked for never seemed to have your problems. A fair days work for a fair days wage. We always had a reasonable daily quota at one organisation. I too was in business at one time for myself.

• Love
Well of course you do and some people work very hard for that money and whose to say how much money is too much money . Many investors are just ordinary people, with not a lot of money, just trying to get ahead in life
I started work at 15 after studying at business college and worked as a stenographer. I always worked overtime if asked to, including Saturdays and Sundays. Over the years I worked my way up to.
become executive assistant to the Human Resources Manager of a large mining company and none of this was by luck, but by hard work.
My main problem in business was I treated my workers too well, paid them in excess of their award, let them have time off for their kids school assemblies, never docked their pay even though they would be
two hours late for work, picked up duty free things and gifts for them all when going overseas, never got so much as a thank you from most of them .
I learnt my lesson the hard way that when you are in business you need to be the boss, otherwise you are taken advantage of
Looking back J recall I always had great respect for every boss I had, but I never forgot that they were the boss. Probably my own fault that n
my workers did.

Yes. In life there is always an opportunity to learn something & some of our lessons are learnt easily & some the hard way. A night school teacher once said, "If you make a mistake once it's called a google & twice is a googleplex'.

I guess the biggest lesson one can learn whether in business or not is not to let people take advantage of you.

Reactions: IAN3005