Coles employee accuses mum of ‘stealing’ after stranger’s kind act: ‘It’s so belittling’

Shopping at your local supermarket should be an uneventful task.

But for mum Tara Louise, a trip to Coles with her two sons became an uncomfortable and somewhat humiliating experience after a simple act of kindness led to an unbelievable accusation of theft.

The Coles Builders Pokémon Edition promotion launched on 7 February, where Coles will give away free Pokémon toys to customers who spend $30 or more in one transaction.

The event unfolded as Tara, accompanied by her two sons, went through the checkout only to realise they had met the criteria to get one Coles Builders collectible.

photo (1).jpg
Tara Louise shared her frustration over a Coles employee. Credit: @taralouisesmartsavings / TikTok

‘We were only entitled to one, so I knew there was going to be arguments coming,’ Tara said in her video online.

Tara's concern was unexpectedly relieved when a kind couple offered their own receipt, enabling her to claim a second collectible.

However, instead of a smooth transaction, Tara was met with an unforeseen accusation.

She approached the Coles employee with both receipts in hand.

‘I handed her the two receipts, [and] she then started to go through my groceries, looking in my bag and said, “Which was your receipt because there's two here?”’ she recounted.

Upon hearing the explanation that one was hers and the other was from the couple in front, the checkout staff flatly denied the transaction.

‘She said, “No, you can't have that, that's stealing. You're not allowed that, you're only allowed your own receipt,”’ Tara said.

Tara was taken aback and was ‘p***ed’ off by the employee’s attitude.

‘For them to call me a thief is so belittling and embarrassing in front of other people,’ she said.

‘Isn't that why they sign over the receipt so that you know that those cards have been collected?’ she asked.

Coles responded to the complaint, saying their team is ‘currently working to contact the customer to gift her with some of our collectible cases and a few additional Pokémons’.

‘We know how much our customers and their kids [love] collecting our unique Coles Builders Pokémon Edition and are aware of what the age-old sibling rivalry can be like in households,’ they said.

After Tara shared her experience online, several users agreed with Tara and shared their stories.

‘Couldn’t agree more, that’s disgraceful and worth the rant!’ one commented.

‘I did the same at Woolies, I asked the lady behind me with children if she was collecting whatever it was at the time, and the cashier said to me, “I don’t want to hear that, I can’t know that you are giving these away,”’ another said.

‘So I collected them, and as she came out, I gave them to her, and we were both so confused.’

You can watch Tara’s video below:

Credit: @taralouisesmartsavings / TikTok

When reviewing the Coles Builders terms and conditions online, it appears that there is no stipulation prohibiting individuals from giving away their collectibles.

It is understood that staff retain discretion when examining receipts.

Key terms and conditions include:
  • Coles will provide customers one Coles Builders Pokémon Edition for every $30 spent in a single transaction ‘after any applicable discounts and exclusions’.
  • The promotional campaign is effective from 7 February to 26 March.
  • The acquisition of a Coles Builders Pokémon Edition is ‘subject to stock availability and is at the sole discretion’ of Coles.
  • Redemption of the collectible must be at the point of purchase and during the relevant transaction.
Key Takeaways

• A frustrated Coles customer claimed she was accused of theft by staff after a kind act from strangers allowed her to obtain an additional Coles Builders Pokémon Edition collectible.
  • The customer, Tara Louise, had received an extra receipt from a couple to avoid sibling rivalry between her sons over the Coles Builders promotion.
  • Coles responded to the incident by offering to gift Tara some collectable cases and additional Pokémon items.
  • Despite the misunderstanding, Coles' terms and conditions do not appear to prohibit the giving away of collectibles, and staff can use discretion when reviewing receipts.
Have you had a similar experience? How was it resolved? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Quite a while ago, I was in Coles Neutral Bay and my wife and I were treated rudely by an employee.
She was talking with another employee and had no concern as to what she was doing.
As we finished going through the checkout, I looked at the receipt and showed her.
She then said "You must see the funny side of this" and "To get over it" and continued to serve the next customer.
When I asked for a refund she said "In a minute!" as che continued to put put other products through her register.
I asked to see the manager to which she told me she WAS the Customer Service Manager,
I was so humiliated and embarrassed by the incident that I called Coles head office direct and told them what had happened and also informed them that their employee had the customer skills if a 4 year old.
If you have a problem at Coles, ring their Head Office and complain. If enough people do this, Coles just might do something about it.
P.S.
After my complaints and a few others from customers, that employee no longer works at that store.
Maybe Coles could do better staff training or at least counselling for their employees that just don't seem to get customer service.
Total agree

Good grief what a storm in. a teacup by the Coles employee. We have enough issues trying to keep our heads above water with the rising cost of living and these "freebies" are the "dangling carrot" to get customers into the stores and spending more. I've gotten extra Woolworths reward points from people who don't have a rewards card but are happy for me to scan my card to get theirs. Also gave some of the "freebies" to parents who want them. All this does is antagonise customers. These people who are employed by the supermarkets need a real lesson in customer service and what is and isn't acceptable and then is should be publicised on every web site and in 6 foot letters on the wall of every supermarket. I don not believe it is stealing if someone who had paid for their groceries and has an entitlement of a "reward" gives that "reward" to someone else
Exactly it's up to me who I give rewards to not Woolworths

Reactions: maherdj
No patience with this nonsense.
I have an absolute abhorrence of this type of promotion.
These supermarkets bleat they are environmentally friendly, but then come out with these rubbish promotions which just add to the disaster of our environment.
Ridiculous!

I collect all these supermarket things for my grandkids and send them to WA for them. In the past I have been asked if I’m collecting them, given extra sometimes too. But with this promotion I have to actually ask for them and it seems they are reluctantly given. I did a couple of large shops where the first one I didn’t get any and the second one was short changed where they gave me short. First time ever I actually went back with my receipt and asked for them. Maybe the staff have been told to limit the issue of them for some reason
I spent $58.00 at Coles the other day so the lady gave me one, I told her I have two grandchildren so can I get two and she said NO not allowed, apparently she said Coles treats them like Gold so I said okay and started walking away and she came up behind me and gave me another one and said that's for the other grandchild. I said thank you very much and left happy. Frankly I don't really know what's so good about them.

Quite a while ago, I was in Coles Neutral Bay and my wife and I were treated rudely by an employee.
She was talking with another employee and had no concern as to what she was doing.
As we finished going through the checkout, I looked at the receipt and showed her.
She then said "You must see the funny side of this" and "To get over it" and continued to serve the next customer.
When I asked for a refund she said "In a minute!" as che continued to put put other products through her register.
I asked to see the manager to which she told me she WAS the Customer Service Manager,
I was so humiliated and embarrassed by the incident that I called Coles head office direct and told them what had happened and also informed them that their employee had the customer skills if a 4 year old.
If you have a problem at Coles, ring their Head Office and complain. If enough people do this, Coles just might do something about it.
P.S.
After my complaints and a few others from customers, that employee no longer works at that store.

Maybe Coles could do better staff training or at least counselling for their employees that just don't seem to get customer service.
Have you ever worked in retail, in particular a supermarket?? Because altgough I partly agree with what you are saying you probably weren't the only customer she said/did it too. But then again you have NO IDEA how her day was..you sound quite smug that the person no.longer works there.....oh BTW I have and know the rules..customer service is the worst place to work.in retail due to the amount of abuse we have had to put up with day in and day out...maybe keep.in mind not everyone including yourself is perfect or has perfect days....

First of all the Cole’s employees have no right to search your bags without police presence is it the same employee that made a elderly man reveal his hernia operation and humiliated him with customers and staff watching Tara the staff member and Cole’s location need to be known it is bullying this is why why staff in supermarket now bully people innocent they don’t care even make there own rules Name and shame let others know where these people are working so you can avoid them
Actually you are INCORRECT by entering the store YOU agree to have your bags searched
Snowflake so you are completely comfortable with a stranger going through your bag taking things out believing you are a shoplifter and why not empty your handbag in front of other shoppers ok so you are happy for that fine
Fyi read the story AGAIN OR GO TO SPECSAVERS!

When the word is a public wrongful accusation of criminal behaviour, anyone has the right to be offended.

If you fail to protect the human rights of others you may not find anyone willing to protect yours if you need it.
how do your 2 brain cells even function together after this statement?

Have you ever worked in retail, in particular a supermarket?? Because altgough I partly agree with what you are saying you probably weren't the only customer she said/did it too. But then again you have NO IDEA how her day was..you sound quite smug that the person no.longer works there.....oh BTW I have and know the rules..customer service is the worst place to work.in retail due to the amount of abuse we have had to put up with day in and day out...maybe keep.in mind not everyone including yourself is perfect or has perfect days....

Actually you are INCORRECT by entering the store YOU agree to have your bags searched there is a sign up there and POLICE PRESENCE IS NOT REQUIRED do your research!

Fyi read the story AGAIN OR GO TO SPECSAVERS!

how do your 2 brain cells even function together after this statement?
My 129 IQ and my training in the law is what functioned.

The accusation of 'stealing' in these circumstances is defamatory and therefore unlawful.

Given that the store is, almost certainly, the customer's local store that some her neighbours and friends probably frequent.

Kindly do not reply to me again if all you have to offer is insults.

That is absolutely ridiculous. If a person in front of you does not want the cards, you have the right to ask them if you could have their cards. I have done this many times to collect various free items for my Grandsons. You must ask the person, not the cashier.

Reactions: Grnchar
This is already too much.
And what about the stealing by COLES that is imposed on us buyers every day?!
Today I went to COLES Hurstville Station to buy just two products. After finding the products I needed, I headed to the cash register, only to see a long line of customers with many products in their carts. I looked at the other cash registers but they were empty without a single employee serving customers. When I asked the employee why there were no other employees at the checkout, he just looked at me, smiled and didn't answer. Extremely uncultured. In contrast to the empty counters, one employee directed all customers to the self-checkout counters, saying they would do their work better that way.
What a wonderful invention to legally steal from shoppers!!!
Let me explain why I say this.
We, the shoppers, are not employed by COLES (Woolworths, ALDI, BIG W, Bunnings) and would not want to do the work of the staff behind the tills. In every price of every product, the cost of the employee working at the cash register is also calculated, and therefore if buyers are forced to use self-checkout as an option, every product should and must be discounted by the calculated value. on the work of the cashier employee. So simple.
THAT'S WHY I CALL ALL BUYERS NOT TO USE THE SELF-PAYMENT SERVICE BECAUSE THEY ARE ROBING YOU WITH THAT OPTION!!!

I'm still having issues with the fronting up with 2 receipts. All the times I've taken or given away these "rewards" they were available at the checkout. I didn't have to go anywhere else to get them
AT SELF SERV YOU SHOW YOUR RECEIPT