Coles employee’s online deal ends in agony: ‘I can't afford to lose it’

Content warning: This article depicts violence against an elderly woman, which may be disturbing for some. Reader discretion is advised.

In the digital age, the convenience of online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace has revolutionised how we buy and sell items.

We can list an item for sale from the comfort of our homes and connect with potential buyers within minutes.

However, as with any online interaction, there is a risk; sometimes, transactions can take a devastating turn.

Rebekah Streader, a grandmother and Coles employee, was in dire financial straits.

Faced with the pressing need to maintain a stable living situation for her family, she made the tough decision to sell her prized Holden ClubSport.

unnamed (14).png
Streader sustained a severe foot injury following a mishap during a car sale. Credit: 7News Australia / YouTube

With hopes of a quick and smooth transaction, she listed her vehicle on Facebook Marketplace.

It wasn't long before a man, who introduced himself as Caleb, showed interest in Streader's car.

They arranged a meeting at her home for him to inspect the vehicle. However, what should have been a straightforward process turned into a harrowing ordeal.

During the meeting, the man requested a test drive, and Streader trusted in the process and handed over the keys.

In a shocking twist, he locked the doors before she could join him, trapping her outside.

‘I was banging on the window asking him to stop because this car is something I bought years ago and I thought, “I don't want to lose it. I can't afford to lose it,”’ Streader pleaded.

In a callous act, he ran over her foot as he sped away, all witnessed by her 15-year-old son.

Streader suffered a shattered foot, requiring two surgeries and leaving her unable to walk, let alone work, for months.

As she began her recovery, Streader turned to the Facebook messages exchanged with the so-called Caleb, only to discover that he had used a fake account, complicating the efforts to track him down.

She described the man as 170 centimetres tall with a medium build and a goatee.

After the incident, Streader called on Facebook to enhance its security measures, stating that ‘it's too easy for people to be scammed and ripped off’.

‘Facebook requires significant changes immediately,’ she added.

You can watch 7News Australia’s coverage below:

Credit: 7News Australia / YouTube

In a similar story, a 76-year-old grandmother from Melbourne experienced a similar ordeal and fell victim to a carjacking crime in broad daylight.

The grandmother was shaken by the ordeal but relieved that her grandchildren were not in the car at the time. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles worker suffered a serious injury after her foot was run over during a car sale gone wrong, facilitated through Facebook Marketplace.
  • The grandmother will be unable to walk for months due to the injury, causing her to be unable to work.
  • The incident occurred after the supposed buyer, using a fake account, drove away with her car while her foot was underneath the vehicle.
  • The victim called for Facebook to increase security on their platform to prevent scams and urged users to be cautious when selling items online.
Our hearts go out to Streader for her speedy recovery.

Have you had a transaction done on a social media platform? How did your experience go? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I would have sat in passenger side first and when he got then hand him the keys. But better still have someone else already in the car as well before the person gets in. If he drove up in a car take his keys. Something of that big a value need others present, not a teen, and in public place, even outside a police station. Chances are they wont bother. Or sell car direct to a dealer, might not get a much but at least shouldn't get ripped off with no payment and no car.
and then be driven off and bashed over the head. No thanks.

if this lady is elderly then I am a walking miracle. Honestly sad for her but really very stupid.

Why do people blame FB for them being ripped off by a criminal?
How do they (FB) decide whether someone buying or selling has criminal intent in mind?
It used to be buyer beware, now it's seller too. Sad. I've been lucky buying and selling. I use FB local groups not the main marketplace, but have had a few suss enquiries. Check their profile. Meet in public if possible, though I read a story of a woman who was robbed by an accomplice, or have other people around if it's at home.

Also why does the headline need to say they are a Coles worker?
Yes why a Cole’s worker what’s that mean and how is it facebook fault

I would have sat in passenger side first and when he got then hand him the keys. But better still have someone else already in the car as well before the person gets in. If he drove up in a car take his keys. Something of that big a value need others present, not a teen, and in public place, even outside a police station. Chances are they wont bother. Or sell car direct to a dealer, might not get a much but at least shouldn't get ripped off with no payment and no car.
The problem is they come in a stolen car so do not care about leaving it . Also if you do a transaction at your address if they hurt themselves can they then sue you for the injury ?

NEVER do any selling alone, NEVER trust online buyers without seeing the cash before handing anything over, NEVER take a bank transfer deposit (this gives them easy access to your bank account because they now have the number), and NEVER, NEVER allow a stranger into your home, or sell anything without another person present.

If possible have someone take covert photos of the buyer - they don’t need to be actually standing there to take a photo; like so many people we see these days with their heads buried in their phones while walking it should not be hard to do. That way you can put a face to the person who may scam you in some way and have it as evidence of the perpetrator for police.

Reactions: pascoevale
NEVER do any selling alone, NEVER trust online buyers without seeing the cash before handing anything over, NEVER take a bank transfer deposit (this gives them easy access to your bank account because they now have the number), and NEVER, NEVER allow a stranger into your home, or sell anything without another person present.

If possible have someone take covert photos of the buyer - they don’t need to be actually standing there to take a photo; like so many people we see these days with their heads buried in their phones while walking it should not be hard to do. That way you can put a face to the person who may scam you in some way and have it as evidence of the perpetrator for police.
If only everyone followed your advice it would be a safer world well maybe

I have never sold anything but I have bought furniture. I didn't go alone and I showed them I had cash as advertised. It is in prefect condition and was only for sale because they were renovating and changing their decor.