Coles draws flak for beefed-up security at stores. Is the supermarket really going too far?

While it's crucial to enhance security measures in supermarkets to reduce theft and shoplifting, it's equally important to strike a balance.

An excessive focus on security can unintentionally create an unwelcoming atmosphere, making innocent shoppers feel like 'criminals' as they go about their routine grocery shopping.

Coles recently experienced this firsthand when the supermarket giant announced a series of intense security changes.

These included the installation of more overhead surveillance cameras and the introduction of body cameras for workers.

Unfortunately, these security enhancements fueled customer resentment, especially after Coles faced accusations of price gouging and revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the last financial year.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 10.43.46 AM.png
Customer dissatisfaction is growing as Coles stands firm on its beefed-up security measures. Credit: Shutterstock.

Social media is buzzing with dissatisfied customers discussing Coles' recent crackdown on theft, which has led to noticeable changes in customers' shopping experiences at their stores.

Amidst shoppers sharing their experiences and engaging in online debates about this controversy, one customer drew a vivid comparison, likening the new checkout security gates to something akin to a gate used for herding sheep.

Another customer even expressed feeling somewhat 'untrusted' and 'ostracised' throughout their shopping trip.

They elaborated on their experience, describing how they approached the self-checkout area where an assistant was wearing a camera on their vest, giving off a somewhat authoritative aura—like a police officer.

'Then I start scanning my stuff, and I notice there is a camera pointed directly at me and also down at what I'm scanning,' they added.

'I go to leave, and I show the guy my receipt, and he opens up a security barrier.'

Coles had also implemented an anti-theft measure where trolley wheels would be locked up if the trolley contained alleged stolen items.

One shopper took to the internet to share his experience and warned other customers to exercise caution when leaving the store.

The man said he was pushing his toddler in a trolley—with nothing but empty reusable bags in it—out of a Coles store when an alarm was suddenly triggered. As the alarm began to beep, he realised the trolley wheels had locked up and could not move.

'Trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register,' said a Coles spokesperson.

Coles emphasised the significance of implementing these new measures to reduce theft alongside considerations for staff safety.

A spokesperson from Coles acknowledged that most of their customers follow the rules, but there is a small minority that does not. They then went on to outline the recently introduced security measures.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has faced criticism over new, intense security measures which leave many customers feeling like criminals.
  • The security changes include increased overhead surveillance cameras, the introduction of body cams on workers, and new checkout security gates.
  • Coles has seen a backlash against these changes on social media, with customers stating it makes them feel untrusted and ostracised.
  • Despite the customer dissatisfaction, Coles defended the measures as necessary to minimise theft and ensure staff safety; they did not comment on the negative feedback.

We have written about this topic before, and the reactions and responses from members have been really varied. While some were in support of these security changes, others think the supermarket is going too far.

'That's really very invasive technology…' said member @Rey, with member @chinkapook agreeing and adding, 'What an invasion of privacy.'

Member @elaine41 also commented: 'Another good reason never to use self-checkout. I refuse to do the job of a checkout operator & do not want to see my picture up on a screen.'

Meanwhile, member @GsGirl argued: 'If you aren't a thief, then you will have nothing to worry about.'

'I think it is such a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but anything to stop theft is okay in my books,' member @Liz went on to say.

'I am sure they have to warn you that these cameras and sound are in place under the privacy act.'

What about you? What are your thoughts on these security changes at Coles? Do you think these will prove effective in preventing theft and shoplifting in supermarkets? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
While it's crucial to enhance security measures in supermarkets to reduce theft and shoplifting, it's equally important to strike a balance.

An excessive focus on security can unintentionally create an unwelcoming atmosphere, making innocent shoppers feel like 'criminals' as they go about their routine grocery shopping.

Coles recently experienced this firsthand when the supermarket giant announced a series of intense security changes.

These included the installation of more overhead surveillance cameras and the introduction of body cameras for workers.

Unfortunately, these security enhancements fueled customer resentment, especially after Coles faced accusations of price gouging and revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the last financial year.

View attachment 31031
Customer dissatisfaction is growing as Coles stands firm on its beefed-up security measures. Credit: Shutterstock.

Social media is buzzing with dissatisfied customers discussing Coles' recent crackdown on theft, which has led to noticeable changes in customers' shopping experiences at their stores.

Amidst shoppers sharing their experiences and engaging in online debates about this controversy, one customer drew a vivid comparison, likening the new checkout security gates to something akin to a gate used for herding sheep.

Another customer even expressed feeling somewhat 'untrusted' and 'ostracised' throughout their shopping trip.

They elaborated on their experience, describing how they approached the self-checkout area where an assistant was wearing a camera on their vest, giving off a somewhat authoritative aura—like a police officer.

'Then I start scanning my stuff, and I notice there is a camera pointed directly at me and also down at what I'm scanning,' they added.

'I go to leave, and I show the guy my receipt, and he opens up a security barrier.'

Coles had also implemented an anti-theft measure where trolley wheels would be locked up if the trolley contained alleged stolen items.

One shopper took to the internet to share his experience and warned other customers to exercise caution when leaving the store.

The man said he was pushing his toddler in a trolley—with nothing but empty reusable bags in it—out of a Coles store when an alarm was suddenly triggered. As the alarm began to beep, he realised the trolley wheels had locked up and could not move.

'Trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register,' said a Coles spokesperson.

Coles emphasised the significance of implementing these new measures to reduce theft alongside considerations for staff safety.

A spokesperson from Coles acknowledged that most of their customers follow the rules, but there is a small minority that does not. They then went on to outline the recently introduced security measures.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has faced criticism over new, intense security measures which leave many customers feeling like criminals.
  • The security changes include increased overhead surveillance cameras, the introduction of body cams on workers, and new checkout security gates.
  • Coles has seen a backlash against these changes on social media, with customers stating it makes them feel untrusted and ostracised.
  • Despite the customer dissatisfaction, Coles defended the measures as necessary to minimise theft and ensure staff safety; they did not comment on the negative feedback.

We have written about this topic before, and the reactions and responses from members have been really varied. While some were in support of these security changes, others think the supermarket is going too far.

'That's really very invasive technology…' said member @Rey, with member @chinkapook agreeing and adding, 'What an invasion of privacy.'

Member @elaine41 also commented: 'Another good reason never to use self-checkout. I refuse to do the job of a checkout operator & do not want to see my picture up on a screen.'

Meanwhile, member @GsGirl argued: 'If you aren't a thief, then you will have nothing to worry about.'

'I think it is such a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but anything to stop theft is okay in my books,' member @Liz went on to say.

'I am sure they have to warn you that these cameras and sound are in place under the privacy act.'

What about you? What are your thoughts on these security changes at Coles? Do you think these will prove effective in preventing theft and shoplifting in supermarkets? Let us know in the comments below!
Yep going WAY to far. I'm going to start putting a cover on those damn cameras on the DIY checkouts - i have to use them as they lather themselves in antibacterial at the regular checkouts and my family is allergic to it so am forced to use it or none of us would be able to touch a thing we buy. They use gloves when stocking the shelves so safe there.
But those damn cameras are a pain - i hate how i look in the mirror so why would i wanna see myself on the screen at the checkout - plus why do they need to capture what we all look like? what do they do with it? how long do they keep it? how do they dispose of it? Do they sell it onwards to any other business or some government agency? Why shouldn't they have to have a pop-up on the screen asking permission to record it and use it for whatever they do with it? Where is their privacy statement about it?
No one seems to have thrown these questions at them.
I resent being treated like a thief when i do unpaid service work for them by using one of their DIY's and i do not steal - if i put it in a basket or trolley it comes out at the checkout and gets scanned or at least counted and put through by the attendant if it is multiples.
If they are worried about people stealing why not put more staff on to work that area so things are kept in check.

Reactions: Leenie and weezza
After working at Woolworths in Melbourne for ten years I saw theft every day sometimes trolley fulls trays of meat up jumpers and down pants, saw it all and even from staff. It only pushes the price up for everyone and then staff cuts too. Very sad. I say if you haven't got anything to hide. Retired to Sunshine Coast Queensland and don't see any theft while shopping. Thank goodness.

Reactions: Leenie and Observer