Coles customer outraged over shocking checkout demand

The modern shopping experience is constantly evolving, with technology and customer service practices continually adapting to new standards and expectations.

However, sometimes these changes can lead to unexpected confrontations and customer dissatisfaction.

This was recently the case with a Coles shopper in Sydney's Waterloo suburb.

The incident, which has sparked a broader discussion about the nature of self-service checkouts and the autonomy of shoppers, occurred when a regular customer was taken aback by a staff member's insistence on a specific bagging order for their items.

This approach to customer service raised eyebrows and prompted an apology from the supermarket giant.

compressed-shutterstock_1760955710.jpeg
A Coles shopper shared their experience with an employee telling them there is a correct way to scan their items in the self-service checkouts. Credits: Shutterstock

The shopper, who was scanning and bagging their grocery haul, was interrupted by a Coles employee.

‘Went through Coles Waterloo (in Sydney) for the thousandth time with a basket of groceries and two 24-packs of Pepsi Max,’ the customer narrated.

‘This isn't an unusual shop for me—the soft drink was on “special”, and the girlfriend is a Pepsi Max fiend.’

‘I started scanning the way I always do: Bag the loose groceries first, since the Coles self-serve checkouts tend to chuck a fit if you add your own BYO (Bring Your Own) bag midway through a purchase. I'm a few items in when the assistant swoops in and informs me that I'm self-serving the wrong way,’ they continued.

The shopper also claimed that they were told by an employee, ‘the drinks needed to be scanned first’, then ‘proceeded to swipe her card, and void the groceries I had already scanned myself’.

‘Then [they] said I needed to enter the two Pepsi Max cartons.’

‘“Fine,” I thought, and picked up the first carton to put over the scanner. “No,” she says, and forces my hand down, “Let me enter them for you.” She then proceeded to painstakingly enter my drinks, one by one, through the manual menu,’ the shopper added.

According to the customer, on the way out, they ‘asked the supervisor if that was standard policy’. Apparently, it was.

‘You must scan the big items first,’ she said. ‘That's the way Coles says you have to do it now.’

‘Forcing us to use self-serve checkouts by taking staff off the regular checkout was one thing. Installing those ridiculous automatic exit gates was another. But now, we can't even scan our own groceries in the order we want at the self-serve checkout?! This has gotten completely out of hand,’ the customer lamented.

Coles has since responded to the incident, stating that while staff are encouraged to assist with bulky items to expedite the checkout process, they should not override the customer's actions without good reason.

The spokesperson for Coles extended an apology to the affected customer, and clarified that there is no official policy dictating the order in which items must be scanned.

The incident at Coles Waterloo is not an isolated one. Last year, there were similar incidents in Coles stores in Melbourne and Western Australia.

This has led to speculation and theories, ranging from loss prevention to the optimisation of the self-service experience.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper experienced a new demand at a self-serve checkout where they were told products must be bagged in a specific way.
  • The shopper was instructed by a Coles employee to scan bulky items first, which is a claim that has rekindled discussion about Coles' self-service policies.
  • Coles apologised for the incident where the customer had already scanned items voided by a staff member and the inconvenience caused.
  • The Coles spokesperson explained that while staff are encouraged to assist with scanning bulky items first, customers should not have their scanning process voided if they have already started.
Have you encountered similar issues at self-service checkouts? Do you prefer the traditional cashier-led checkouts, or have you embraced the self-serve revolution? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Seriously how much of a numpty is this customer?? Big items are always scanned by staff in selfserve and on checkouts in woollies and Coles.. if you have a problem go through a normal check out! Why may you ask do they do that? Because of theft as silly as it seems ...
you might just cover it with your groceries I've seen it happen so many times or it's put on the bottom of the trolley like dog food...if having a staff member help you offends you so much ...online ahopping might be the answer!!...this person needs to seriously GET A DAMN LIFE!!
How rude.

Reactions: Macarj
No way. When she discontinued my scanning I would have left the store and she could replace the items in the trolley to the shelf. Outrageous and rude. Where are the signs telling g you how to scan.? Next we will all have to go to scanning cLass. Go to Aldi. Yes self serve has invaded there as well unfortunately.
I would have told her what to do with it and walked out too. Aldi doesn’t have a busy body looking over your shoulder telling you how to do THEIR job either.