Coles' compensation for a $5 overcharge mistake confuses customer: ‘How is this okay?’

Navigating the world of online shopping can be tricky, especially when unexpected charges pop up on your bill.

One Coles customer recently found themselves in such a predicament, being overcharged by $5 for a service that was advertised as free.

Though the supermarket's response to this error has left the customer—and the wider public—scratching their heads.

The customer had opted for the Click and Collect service for their online order.

This service, as advertised by Coles, was supposed to be free. However, the customer found a $5 'rapid fee' added to their bill.

Photo_20240126_084701_0000.png
A confused customer about Coles’ refund through a ‘spend $50 and get $5 off’ coupon. Credit: @Bubblegum9992 / Reddit

In response to the error, Coles sent an email apologising and offering a $5 credit on the customer's next shop, but with a catch—the credit would only be applicable if the next purchase exceeded $50.

This unusual refund policy left the customer perplexed and seeking advice on social media.

'This just confused me, but am I reading this email I got from Coles correct?' the customer asked.

'I went back to my last receipt, and yep, I got charged $5 even though I only clicked “Click and Collect” because it said it was free.’

'Is this even allowed? Like if a regular shop overcharged you and then told you you need to spend over $50 to get your money back. I don't get how this is okay.'

They added that they had previously received small refunds for missing items ‘straight away’.

The customer's post sparked a flurry of comments, with many agreeing that the email and the refund policy were indeed strange.

'That's gotta be up there with Maccas 'sorry a burger was missing and your order was cold, here's a voucher for a free ice cream with any meal purchased,' one said.

'They offer this kind of stuff first and just hope people accept it,' another said.

'Same as if they mess up your online delivery order, they will first offer you money back on your Coles account so you can use it on more orders instead of a direct refund.'

One user speculated that the email might have been poorly worded.

'Check your bank statement. I am withholding my pitchfork because it sounds like they fixed the issue and are giving you the extra $5 as an apology,’ they said.

This incident comes at a time when the Australian government has announced a year-long inquiry into supermarket prices led by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

The inquiry will focus on the price differences between what major supermarkets pay farmers for fresh produce and what customers are charged in-store.

The supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have been accused of price gouging on fruit, vegetables, and meat.

'When farmers are selling their product for less, supermarkets should charge Australians less,' Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said.

'The ACCC has significant powers, and it is the best and most effective body to investigate supermarket prices.'

The inquiry will also examine the impact of online shopping, loyalty programs, and technology on competition in the industry.

The government plans to provide additional funding to the consumer group CHOICE to offer information to shoppers on supermarket prices.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer was unexpectedly charged an extra $5 'rapid fee' for using the Click and Collect service advertised as free.
  • The supermarket tried to rectify the situation by offering a $5 voucher, but only to be used on a future purchase of over $50, which confused and frustrated the customer.
  • Shoppers and commentators on Reddit discussed the oddity of the compensation offer, with some suggesting Coles was hoping customers would simply accept such vouchers.
  • Amidst public concern over supermarket pricing, the Australian government has announced an inquiry into supermarket prices, particularly focusing on the gap between farmer's prices and in-store prices for consumers.
What are your thoughts on this incident, dear readers? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Navigating the world of online shopping can be tricky, especially when unexpected charges pop up on your bill.

One Coles customer recently found themselves in such a predicament, being overcharged by $5 for a service that was advertised as free.

Though the supermarket's response to this error has left the customer—and the wider public—scratching their heads.

The customer had opted for the Click and Collect service for their online order.

This service, as advertised by Coles, was supposed to be free. However, the customer found a $5 'rapid fee' added to their bill.

View attachment 39988
A confused customer about Coles’ refund through a ‘spend $50 and get $5 off’ coupon. Credit: @Bubblegum9992 / Reddit

In response to the error, Coles sent an email apologising and offering a $5 credit on the customer's next shop, but with a catch—the credit would only be applicable if the next purchase exceeded $50.

This unusual refund policy left the customer perplexed and seeking advice on social media.

'This just confused me, but am I reading this email I got from Coles correct?' the customer asked.

'I went back to my last receipt, and yep, I got charged $5 even though I only clicked “Click and Collect” because it said it was free.’

'Is this even allowed? Like if a regular shop overcharged you and then told you you need to spend over $50 to get your money back. I don't get how this is okay.'

They added that they had previously received small refunds for missing items ‘straight away’.

The customer's post sparked a flurry of comments, with many agreeing that the email and the refund policy were indeed strange.

'That's gotta be up there with Maccas 'sorry a burger was missing and your order was cold, here's a voucher for a free ice cream with any meal purchased,' one said.

'They offer this kind of stuff first and just hope people accept it,' another said.

'Same as if they mess up your online delivery order, they will first offer you money back on your Coles account so you can use it on more orders instead of a direct refund.'

'Check your bank statement. I am withholding my pitchfork because it sounds like they fixed the issue and are giving you the extra $5 as an apology,’ they said.

This incident comes at a time when the Australian government has announced a year-long inquiry into supermarket prices led by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

The inquiry will focus on the price differences between what major supermarkets pay farmers for fresh produce and what customers are charged in-store.

The supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have been accused of price gouging on fruit, vegetables, and meat.

'When farmers are selling their product for less, supermarkets should charge Australians less,' Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said.

'The ACCC has significant powers, and it is the best and most effective body to investigate supermarket prices.'

The inquiry will also examine the impact of online shopping, loyalty programs, and technology on competition in the industry.

The government plans to provide additional funding to the consumer group CHOICE to offer information to shoppers on supermarket prices.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer was unexpectedly charged an extra $5 'rapid fee' for using the Click and Collect service advertised as free.
  • The supermarket tried to rectify the situation by offering a $5 voucher, but only to be used on a future purchase of over $50, which confused and frustrated the customer.
  • Shoppers and commentators on Reddit discussed the oddity of the compensation offer, with some suggesting Coles was hoping customers would simply accept such vouchers.
  • Amidst public concern over supermarket pricing, the Australian government has announced an inquiry into supermarket prices, particularly focusing on the gap between farmer's prices and in-store prices for consumers.
What are your thoughts on this incident, dear readers? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.
BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!!!!

Article didn't state how much she spent.

I think if you spend under a certain ammount you get charged $5 ,

I also believe if you choose the rapid option then you are charged , it's so you can get your click n collect within an hour it's the same as home delivery, you can have it delivered in up to 1 1/2 hours but it does cost $15 instead of $8 or free

I think there is more to this story, I don't think she has told the whole story.

I think she clicked on Rapid click n collect and, of course, she would be charged. Mist people know this, and if you want the groceries quicker, of course, you have to pay more

Last edited:

View attachment 39988

Key Takeaways

This is so typical of supermarkets

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
I am always in awe of the fact that someone will do the shopping for me and then I can pick it up for free. Haven’t checked but there must be a minimum amount spend. How lucky we are!!!! Woolworths charges way too much for delivery and Coles is great and cheap. No doubt the costs of all these services are included in the prices and those not using them are subsidising those that are smart enough to get $10 off for every 2000 points etc. with the loyalty card discounts. Use comparison sites for the specials. . If you are counting the dollars and have the time it’s like being paid an hourly rate whilst scrolling

Reactions: MummaD

View attachment 39988

Key Takeaways

What will the Accc do to price gouging, I purchased a item from coles when in 2022 it was $3.95 not it’s $5.00 . The Accc is just a waste of time nothing will come out of price gouging at supermarkets

My god, chill out!!🙄
It's not like she is not going to do another online shop in the next 12 months....
Maybe she paid with a giftcard and they couldn't reimburse the monies into that mode of payment!

I always pay for my deliveries (Woolworths) with egiftcards (5% off with Seniors discount plus staff discount) and I get a code (for items not available, weights, etc) which I can use within the next 12 months on my online shopping.

Last edited:
I am always in awe of the fact that someone will do the shopping for me and then I can pick it up for free. Haven’t checked but there must be a minimum amount spend. How lucky we are!!!! Woolworths charges way too much for delivery and Coles is great and cheap. No doubt the costs of all these services are included in the prices and those not using them are subsidising those that are smart enough to get $10 off for every 2000 points etc. with the loyalty card discounts. Use comparison sites for the specials. . If you are counting the dollars and have the time it’s like being paid an hourly rate whilst scrolling
You do pay $5 for rapid click n collect. And minimum spend $50

Reactions: MummaD
She must not have been bothered reading the cost, it's free for click n collect but if you want it fast ( rapid) then it's $5. Coles was pretty upfront about the cost. This lady was too lazy to read it.
Even at checkout it shows you click n collect or delivery cost
Screenshot_20240127_102144_Samsung Internet.jpg

View attachment 39988

Key Takeaways

by offering the refund they accepted blame. to put rules on it is disgusting.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
Maybe confused with rapid order like Door Dash fee.
I have always found Coles to be very fair with online home delivery.
Never a problem with refunds or out of stock replacements

View attachment 39988

Key Takeaways

If the ACCC has significant powers , why do they wait so long and after so many people complaining before they start investigating issues? They are another waste of tax payers money. Maybe they need to be changed.

Reactions: maherdj

View attachment 39988

Key Takeaways

It's definitely one for legal eagles . A lot law firms are moving towards, smaller claims and issues 😐 , they usually get bigger but don't let them bully you 😤.

For crying out loud! It’s five freaking dollars! They’ve offered a resolution,if you don’t like it,ask for something that’s acceptable but run to the ACC?? Over five bucks? Life’s too short.
If you see a $5 note laying in the gutter, do you walk on by? I BET YOU NOT! You would be like a seagull to a hot chip at the beach....

Reactions: maxesmum
What Coles did was TOTALLY normal and if you, SDC, hadn't been seeking faux outrage from people then you would know that! There has always been a minimum spending requirement for online orders ... for Coles it is $50 and for Woolworths it is $75. Coles have offered her the $5 refund on her next online order and have simply reminded her of the minimum spend! Move along folks ... absolutely no news here, just a sad attempt at sensationalism which sadly some gullible people will fall for. We may be older but we are not stupid so please stop treating us like we are.