Coles and Woolworths offer a secret free service – But why are some customers unsatisfied?

If you regularly shop at Coles or Woolworths, chances are that you've seen the shelves filled with whole loaves of gourmet bread such as sourdough and Pane di Casa.

These days, you can get almost any kind of bread you can think of in supermarkets, but many of us don’t know that those same supermarkets offer a free service to go with them.

Recently, an eagle-eyed customer shared a neat little tip on Facebook: you can take that loaf of bread you intend to purchase to a staff member in the in-store bakery, and they'll be more than happy to slice it for you free of charge.

The shopper recounted her experience with the ’hidden' service at Coles and Woolworths.

'I realised if the bakery in the supermarket is manned, you can ask them to slice whole loaves of bread as a free service,' she wrote.

8de29e94d257555677e1668ee1e1c57d1250a010-4x3-x0y0w1920h1440.jpg

A shopper revealed a secret service being offered in Woolworths and Coles. Credit: Facebook.

However, she wasn't too pleased with her experience at Coles, saying that the staff she encountered wasted a plastic bag in the process of slicing the bread.

'I tried it at Coles and it was a plastic fail as they put my sliced sourdough in a whole new plastic bag,' she said.

On the other hand, she had nothing but praise for Woolworths, claiming that the staff member simply put a new sticker on the same bag the bread came in.

The shopper continued: ‘I don’t know if it was company policy or just the preference of the staff member who served me. I made sure to thank the man in Woolworths for using the same bag and he was grateful for my gratitude.’

After the issue was brought to light, a Coles representative responded and said that the supermarket typically prefers to use the same bag - but if it gets torn or damaged when opening it for slicing, they may use a new one.

The spokesperson said: ‘To provide customers with greater convenience while they shop, we will happily slice Coles bakery loaves of bread on site where there is a bread slicer available.’

They added that the use of new bags is only meant to maintain the freshness of the product.

It is also understood that Woolworths customers can be sure to get their bread slices for free, as long as the store does have a slicer available and a trained team member is present.

However, it should be noted that there are instances where certain types of bread may not be appropriate for slicing using the slicer, and there may be situations where the Bread Slicing Service is not accessible, necessitating that customers slice the bread themselves.

Meanwhile, eco-conscious shoppers shared their own recommendations for minimising plastic waste while shopping at the supermarket.

'For my part, I usually keep the bag in which they put the sliced bread and take it with me the next time to be reused,' one user noted.

Another user said that they make sure they always ask the staff to place whatever they're buying in the same bag.

A third shared: ‘If I buy meat from the deli in either store, I ask them just to put it on the paper and that depends on the staff member serving me.’

Key Takeaways
  • Coles and Woolworths offer a free bread-slicing service to shoppers.
  • The use of new plastic bags is only meant to maintain the freshness of the product, according to a Coles representative.
  • Eco-conscious shoppers can minimise plastic waste by asking staff to place their bread in the same bag.
  • This service can make it easier for individuals with mobility issues to enjoy fresh bread without worrying about the hassle of slicing it themselves.

The availability of a secret bread-slicing service can be an enormous help for individuals with mobility issues.

Slicing bread can be challenging for those with limited mobility or arthritis, making it difficult to handle a knife or operate a bread slicer.

This service can make it easier for them to enjoy fresh bread without worrying about the hassle of slicing it themselves.

Are you aware of this secret service at Coles and Woolworths? Have you used the service yourself? Share your experience and tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you regularly shop at Coles or Woolworths, chances are that you've seen the shelves filled with whole loaves of gourmet bread such as sourdough and Pane di Casa.

These days, you can get almost any kind of bread you can think of in supermarkets, but many of us don’t know that those same supermarkets offer a free service to go with them.

Recently, an eagle-eyed customer shared a neat little tip on Facebook: you can take that loaf of bread you intend to purchase to a staff member in the in-store bakery, and they'll be more than happy to slice it for you free of charge.

The shopper recounted her experience with the ’hidden' service at Coles and Woolworths.

'I realised if the bakery in the supermarket is manned, you can ask them to slice whole loaves of bread as a free service,' she wrote.

A shopper revealed a secret service being offered in Woolworths and Coles. Credit: Facebook.

However, she wasn't too pleased with her experience at Coles, saying that the staff she encountered wasted a plastic bag in the process of slicing the bread.

'I tried it at Coles and it was a plastic fail as they put my sliced sourdough in a whole new plastic bag,' she said.

On the other hand, she had nothing but praise for Woolworths, claiming that the staff member simply put a new sticker on the same bag the bread came in.

The shopper continued: ‘I don’t know if it was company policy or just the preference of the staff member who served me. I made sure to thank the man in Woolworths for using the same bag and he was grateful for my gratitude.’

After the issue was brought to light, a Coles representative responded and said that the supermarket typically prefers to use the same bag - but if it gets torn or damaged when opening it for slicing, they may use a new one.

The spokesperson said: ‘To provide customers with greater convenience while they shop, we will happily slice Coles bakery loaves of bread on site where there is a bread slicer available.’

They added that the use of new bags is only meant to maintain the freshness of the product.

It is also understood that Woolworths customers can be sure to get their bread slices for free, as long as the store does have a slicer available and a trained team member is present.

However, it should be noted that there are instances where certain types of bread may not be appropriate for slicing using the slicer, and there may be situations where the Bread Slicing Service is not accessible, necessitating that customers slice the bread themselves.

Meanwhile, eco-conscious shoppers shared their own recommendations for minimising plastic waste while shopping at the supermarket.

'For my part, I usually keep the bag in which they put the sliced bread and take it with me the next time to be reused,' one user noted.

Another user said that they make sure they always ask the staff to place whatever they're buying in the same bag.

A third shared: ‘If I buy meat from the deli in either store, I ask them just to put it on the paper and that depends on the staff member serving me.’

Key Takeaways

• The use of new plastic bags is only meant to maintain the freshness of the product, according to a Coles representative.
  • Eco-conscious shoppers can minimise plastic waste by asking staff to place their bread in the same bag.
  • This service can make it easier for individuals with mobility issues to enjoy fresh bread without worrying about the hassle of slicing it themselves.

The availability of a secret bread-slicing service can be an enormous help for individuals with mobility issues.

Slicing bread can be challenging for those with limited mobility or arthritis, making it difficult to handle a knife or operate a bread slicer.

This service can make it easier for them to enjoy fresh bread without worrying about the hassle of slicing it themselves.

Are you aware of this secret service at Coles and Woolworths? Have you used the service yourself? Share your experience and tips with us in the comments below!

I use this facility at coles in lake haven at least 4 times a week, the staff are so helpful and have always used the original wrapper to put the cut bread in, unfortunately some of the loafs of bread are not suitable for the machine to cut due to the shape and hight eg. white cob, but overall a great services.

Key Takeaways

It's not a free service it's part of the service for selling bread. Any bakery slices bread as part of their service.

Key Takeaways

I usually do my shopping on a weekend and it is very difficut to find anyone in the bakery section.

I have been as

Key Takeaways

Are you aware of this secret service at Coles and Woolworths? Have you used the service yourself? Share your

For years I have been asking our great Woolies Bakery to slice unsliced loaves if that is all that is left on the shelf.They are always happy to do it...I love their bread, especially Tiger Bread!
Great with oysters, prawns and a glass of white!

It's not a free service it's part of the service for selling bread. Any bakery slices bread as part of their service.
Not every bakery slices bread, and particularly sourdough breads - they apparently blunt the blades much quicker. Our local baker won't slice sourdough and a not quite so local specialty bread shop doesn't slice any of their loaves. One chain bakery has stores that will only slice sourdough to toast slices and not sandwich, but a couple do. I guess it depends on the store owner I bought myself an electric knife for the occasions when I need it.

Not every bakery slices bread, and particularly sourdough breads - they apparently blunt the blades much quicker. Our local baker won't slice sourdough and a not quite so local specialty bread shop doesn't slice any of their loaves. One chain bakery has stores that will only slice sourdough to toast slices and not sandwich, but a couple do. I guess it depends on the store owner I bought myself an electric knife for the occasions when I need it.
me too!

Reactions: Jenny07
l had a supermarket slice a sour dough loaf for me and when l went to use it, it was almost hollow right the way through. l mentioned it to the staff member next time l went in and she just said “ oh was it?”

• Sad
Reactions: Jenny07

Key Takeaways

They will also cut a chicken in half but will cost you more. $6 half $11 full.

Coles and Woolworths - Hmm, both in the Tuncurry/Forster areas of ours can do better, especially Woolworths in Tuncurry, and bread, hmm, stopped buying bread long time ago, as only my wife and I eat it on occasion and we like to to have it fresh, but the half loaves aren't usually kept up in the shelves in the Tuncurry Woolies. Both can pull their socks up, as Aldi are on your heels and we prefer them to the others in what we can buy there, only shop in the other two if we can't get it at Aldi anyway. Besides, we can make tasty bread with "all" the ingredients in the loaves with our ever trusty bread maker.

Key Takeaways

Great thanks for the bread slicing information