Coles’ new security gates cause concerns as they ‘lock in’ shoppers

In the quest to curb theft, Coles, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, has introduced new security gates at multiple stores.

However, these gates—designed to remain closed when unscanned items are detected at the self-checkout—have sparked concerns among shoppers.

The fear? Being trapped inside the store during an emergency, such as a fire.

The security gates, which were rolled out last year, have been met with a mixed response. While some appreciate the supermarket's efforts to combat theft, others are worried about the potential safety risks.

The gates have been described as 'extreme' security measures, with some customers opting to shop elsewhere due to their concerns.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 083807.png
Some shoppers are worried about the self-checkout gates at Coles supermarket. Image: TikTok/@cocobod

One customer took to social media to voice her concerns about the gates, which have also been introduced by Woolworths.

'Doesn't this increase risk as a fire hazard? What if they malfunction in the event of a fire?' she asked in a video posted on social media. Her concerns were echoed by many others in the comments section.

Another shopper shared a video of an elderly couple waiting for the gates to open. The gates are designed to 'lock in' customers until they are allowed to exit, raising concerns about what would happen in an emergency situation.

'What if there is a fire and it slows down evacuation,' one commenter asked.

‘I wonder if it would be a fire hazard or if they open automatically in the event of a fire,’ said another.

Meanwhile, a third said they ‘have questions about [whether] these things meet workplace health and safety’.

Despite these concerns, building fire safety expert Associate Professor Kate Nguyen reassured that the gates are likely not a fire hazard.

She explained that such gate systems are common in buildings and are designed to deactivate automatically in the event of an emergency.

Furthermore, staff members are usually trained to manually unlock the gates if necessary.

Coles' Commitment to Safety and Security

Coles has reiterated its commitment to the safety and security of its customers and staff. The supermarket chain has stated that the security gates are just one of many measures implemented to reduce theft and ensure a safe shopping environment.

In addition to the security gates, Coles has also introduced other security measures such as overhead cameras to monitor shoppers' movements, body cams for staff in select stores, and a lock mechanism on shopping trolleys to prevent them from being taken away from the supermarket.

While these measures may seem extreme to some, they are part of Coles' ongoing efforts to provide a safe and secure shopping experience for all customers.

The supermarket chain has also assured customers that it is continually reviewing and updating its security measures to ensure they are effective and do not pose a risk to customers.

While the security gates at Coles may initially seem alarming, they are designed with safety in mind. As with any new technology, it's important to understand how it works and what it's designed to do.

You can watch a customer’s full video of the security gates below:

Source: TikTok/@cocobod​

Key Takeaways
  • Coles' new security gates have raised concerns among shoppers regarding safety in emergency situations, such as a fire.
  • Customers have expressed their frustration and worry on social media platforms, where they discuss the potential risks involved with the gates that lock in shoppers.
  • An expert in building fire safety assured that such gates are usually not fire hazards and are designed to open easily or be manually operated by staff during emergencies.
  • Coles has reported that the introduction of security gates has contributed to a reduction in theft, and these measures are part of a broader initiative to enhance security, which also includes body cams for staff and other technological features.

What are your thoughts on these security measures? Have you had any experiences with these security gates? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
My experience with these gates at my local Coles is that they are VERY mobility scooter unfriendly. I must use a mobility scooter when shopping and even though I've paid for my purchases these gates insist on closing when I'm less than half way through the exit, trapping me and meaning that at least two customer service representatives have to help me continue to leave the store! I am sooo OVER these gates assuming that I'm a thief merely because I take longer than some to get through them!

Has anybody noticed that we are being photographed whilst at the self serve checkout? I was shocked to see myself being filmed in the top righthand corner of the screen. When I asked the staff member what that was about she had no idea and said it was company policy. Well I dud nit give permission for my image to be filmed, especialky when I'm paying that bill by credit card. How do I know whether ny security has been compromised?

Coles. What is the reason or have your checkouts been hacked?

In the quest to curb theft, Coles, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, has introduced new security gates at multiple stores.

However, these gates—designed to remain closed when unscanned items are detected at the self-checkout—have sparked concerns among shoppers.

The fear? Being trapped inside the store during an emergency, such as a fire.

The security gates, which were rolled out last year, have been met with a mixed response. While some appreciate the supermarket's efforts to combat theft, others are worried about the potential safety risks.

The gates have been described as 'extreme' security measures, with some customers opting to shop elsewhere due to their concerns.

View attachment 38604
Some shoppers are worried about the self-checkout gates at Coles supermarket. Image: TikTok/@cocobod

One customer took to social media to voice her concerns about the gates, which have also been introduced by Woolworths.

'Doesn't this increase risk as a fire hazard? What if they malfunction in the event of a fire?' she asked in a video posted on social media. Her concerns were echoed by many others in the comments section.

Another shopper shared a video of an elderly couple waiting for the gates to open. The gates are designed to 'lock in' customers until they are allowed to exit, raising concerns about what would happen in an emergency situation.

'What if there is a fire and it slows down evacuation,' one commenter asked.

‘I wonder if it would be a fire hazard or if they open automatically in the event of a fire,’ said another.

Meanwhile, a third said they ‘have questions about [whether] these things meet workplace health and safety’.

Despite these concerns, building fire safety expert Associate Professor Kate Nguyen reassured that the gates are likely not a fire hazard.

She explained that such gate systems are common in buildings and are designed to deactivate automatically in the event of an emergency.

Furthermore, staff members are usually trained to manually unlock the gates if necessary.

Coles' Commitment to Safety and Security

Coles has reiterated its commitment to the safety and security of its customers and staff. The supermarket chain has stated that the security gates are just one of many measures implemented to reduce theft and ensure a safe shopping environment.

In addition to the security gates, Coles has also introduced other security measures such as overhead cameras to monitor shoppers' movements, body cams for staff in select stores, and a lock mechanism on shopping trolleys to prevent them from being taken away from the supermarket.

While these measures may seem extreme to some, they are part of Coles' ongoing efforts to provide a safe and secure shopping experience for all customers.

The supermarket chain has also assured customers that it is continually reviewing and updating its security measures to ensure they are effective and do not pose a risk to customers.

While the security gates at Coles may initially seem alarming, they are designed with safety in mind. As with any new technology, it's important to understand how it works and what it's designed to do.

You can watch a customer’s full video of the security gates below:

Source: TikTok/@cocobod​

Key Takeaways

• Coles' new security gates have raised concerns among shoppers regarding safety in emergency situations, such as a fire.
  • Customers have expressed their frustration and worry on social media platforms, where they discuss the potential risks involved with the gates that lock in shoppers.
  • An expert in building fire safety assured that such gates are usually not fire hazards and are designed to open easily or be manually operated by staff during emergencies.
  • Coles has reported that the introduction of security gates has contributed to a reduction in theft, and these measures are part of a broader initiative to enhance security, which also includes body cams for staff and other technological features.

What are your thoughts on these security measures? Have you had any experiences with these security gates? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Is it just me, or are we becoming a society of whingers!!
If you don’t like security gates, security cameras, security staff at your Coles or Woolworths store…then stay home, shop somewhere else or get home delivery!!
Supermarkets are in the business to make a profit….we can thank those less honest people for these measures having to be put in place.
That’s life, learn to live with it!!!

If you don’t like security gates, security cameras, security staff at your Coles or Woolworths store…then stay home, shop somewhere else or get home delivery!!
Supermarkets are in the business to make a profit….we can thank those less honest people for these measures having to be put in place.
So we are meant to just accept everything without question, that is where we are headed. The MAJORITY are not thieves, yet we are treated as such. Of course it is for our own good and actually somehow saves us money doesn't it?

Yet again - another decision that inconveniences the majority to appease a minority, like most decisions these days.

My experience with these gates at my local Coles is that they are VERY mobility scooter unfriendly. I must use a mobility scooter when shopping and even though I've paid for my purchases these gates insist on closing when I'm less than half way through the exit, trapping me and meaning that at least two customer service representatives have to help me continue to leave the store! I am sooo OVER these gates assuming that I'm a thief merely because I take longer than some to get through them!
Change where you shop......

I fully agree with you, Bullwinkle. A commenter on this site has asked if we are expected to accept everything without question even suggesting that we are all being treated like thieves. I wonder if he/she expects Coles/Woolworths to allocate one (or more) queues/checkouts to thieves with signs above those queues stating such and other queues to the honest. If I was a regular thief, and I’ve NEVER stolen in my 78 years, I would never go into one of the signed queues. I’d go into the regular queue and still steal, if I could, to prove to the business that separate queues do not work. It is a lack of upbringing that is the real reason for people thieving and assaulting. With a good upbringing comes a good conscience.

Come on, get real. If people stopped thieving we would not be in this situation. It is not the result of higher prices as so many suggest - it is the regular thieves who have no conscience whatsoever and do so much damage by their actions, even assaulting people for the fun of it or a ‘dare’, that is causing these measures to be taken. Elderly people and those who cannot afford to live on low wages/pensions do not steal in this manner. They most often go without when necessary.

We are all paying the cost of theft by higher prices and more security measures, and that is a fact. It is not an easy situation and ALL businesses are trying to do their best by implementing better/different security.

I fully agree with you, Bullwinkle. A commenter on this site has asked if we are expected to accept everything without question even suggesting that we are all being treated like thieves. I wonder if he/she expects Coles/Woolworths to allocate one (or more) queues/checkouts to thieves with signs above those queues stating such and other queues to the honest. If I was a regular thief, and I’ve NEVER stolen in my 78 years, I would never go into one of the signed queues. I’d go into the regular queue and still steal, if I could, to prove to the business that separate queues do not work. It is a lack of upbringing that is the real reason for people thieving and assaulting. With a good upbringing comes a good conscience.

Come on, get real. If people stopped thieving we would not be in this situation. It is not the result of higher prices as so many suggest - it is the regular thieves who have no conscience whatsoever and do so much damage by their actions, even assaulting people for the fun of it or a ‘dare’, that is causing these measures to be taken. Elderly people and those who cannot afford to live on low wages/pensions do not steal in this manner. They most often go without when necessary.

We are all paying the cost of theft by higher prices and more security measures, and that is a fact. It is not an easy situation and ALL businesses are trying to do their best by implementing better/different security.
Unfortunately the focus here should really be on more stringent punishments for those caught shoplifting. As long as these people know that, in the unlikely event that they are caught, all they will get is a warning or be banned from the store, there really is nothing to deter them from thieving. I'm not suggesting that they be put into the stocks or have their fingers lopped off (though that would certainly make them think twice) but, being sensible, start imposing fines again, with the reality of jail time or even good behaviour bonds for repeat offenders.
As the old saying goes: "An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure!" 😇

I often find there is no alternative to self service. The only checkouts open are the self service, and on asking for an operator get told they are eitheron a lunch break or the store is short staffed because of sickness.
Leave the trolley and walk out give them a message we expect better service after all we are paying for it with high prices, they can’t have it both ways.

I have been viewing this with interest.
There is a point to be made when it is suggested that we shop elsewhere if we don't like it.
I get that, however, there is no real message when the situation is handled in this way.
If one is desperately unhappy with the way a provider is doing business, then it is our right to make this disapproval known. Yes, don't shop there, however, power of the people is more effective than many of us realise.
We will not get a message across to anyone if it is not being sent. Write to Coles customer relations and let them know why you are unhappy. Tell them you are not interested in public relations fob off, you want solutions. Added to that, if you feel strongly enough about this, then make sure you tell them you will not be shopping there any longer, and, you will let all your friends and and relatives know about the problem.
As is the case with any change, it starts with a ripple. Like a pebble in a pond. You drop the pebble in, it makes a little splash, however the ripples that follow are getting wider and wider.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
If you enter these stores knowing that Security Cameras are used in an effort to beat stealing, you are agreeing to being filmed.

This is no different to knowing that you may be asked to open your bag when exiting. This is a condition of entering their domain, is it not?

Reactions: Bullwinkle
Agree.

Reactions: Bullwinkle
I was in a supermarket this week & there was a mother with a pusher & the grandmother holding the baby. They had a large trolley of expensive products ( baby formula, meat etc. They stood behind a pole & the grandmother shielded the mother while she loaded the goods into the pusher & covered it over. They went through the checkouts with the grandmother paying for a couple of items. I couldn't alert anyone as I am on crutches & not quick enough. This is why stores have to instigate more security measures & we are paying the price for these scumbags.

Reactions: Ezzy