Coles’ cheeky response to customer after VERY unusual discovery in her bag of salad

A Coles shopper was left stunned after discovering something unusual in her sealed packet of pre-packaged salad.

Ann from Perth purchased a packet of Coles Kitchen Veggie Shreds Family Mix, but was shocked when she took a closer look at what was inside.

The packaging states that it contains “lettuce, cabbage, and carrots”; however, Ann did not expect to find a halved raw potato in there as well.

“Not sure the half of a potato should be in my sealed packet of salad,” she wrote on her Facebook post.

Ann said she would be returning the item for a refund and an explanation.

xer0TH-231JXFqoYETzwbk742vbQuPpyM_Xk9mea9ZHPVgLDhpDd0H8yXlDYrs_au4jE9SvKPk9v463pBBejuot-x1fbhVnpkBq0p1LyD_p3RgvatBbUccXz-RzyvoeoATJYPKb0

Ann said she purchased the item from a Coles store she usually didn’t frequent. Photo from Facebook.

A spokesperson for Coles has reached out and humorously addressed the incident.

“We’re all in favour of saving time in the kitchen, but chips and salad should probably stay apart until dinner’s ready,” they said.

“We’ll look into it with the customer and try to make sure that the spuds stay in their own lane from now on.”

“As always, we encourage customers to return any product that doesn’t meet their expectations for a full refund or replacement.”

Yikes, this looks like a worrying slipup from Coles! If you experience a situation similar to this one, don’t hesitate to contact their Customer Service!

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540
Sponsored
Coles’ cheeky response to customer after VERY unusual discovery in her bag of salad

A Coles shopper was left stunned after discovering something unusual in her sealed packet of pre-packaged salad.

Ann from Perth purchased a packet of Coles Kitchen Veggie Shreds Family Mix, but was shocked when she took a closer look at what was inside.

The packaging states that it contains “lettuce, cabbage, and carrots”; however, Ann did not expect to find a halved raw potato in there as well.

“Not sure the half of a potato should be in my sealed packet of salad,” she wrote on her Facebook post.

xer0TH-231JXFqoYETzwbk742vbQuPpyM_Xk9mea9ZHPVgLDhpDd0H8yXlDYrs_au4jE9SvKPk9v463pBBejuot-x1fbhVnpkBq0p1LyD_p3RgvatBbUccXz-RzyvoeoATJYPKb0

Ann said she purchased the item from a Coles store she usually didn’t frequent. Photo from Facebook.

“We’re all in favour of saving time in the kitchen, but chips and salad should probably stay apart until dinner’s ready,” they said.

“We’ll look into it with the customer and try to make sure that the spuds stay in their own lane from now on.”

“As always, we encourage customers to return any product that doesn’t meet their expectations for a full refund or replacement.”

Yikes, this looks like a worrying slipup from Coles! If you experience a situation similar to this one, don’t hesitate to contact their Customer Service!
Rather a spud than a snake or cockroach 😂😂

The listed ingredients state
"Lettuce, cabbage & carrots".
Potato is not any of those, therefore it's foreign to that package, thus the contamination.
Potato was a surprise bonus. Either accept it or return it. Contaminants can be harmful to our health, but not potato, unless you have a particular allergy. Why all the drama?

This lady has too much time on her hands. If you’re not into potato (a free bonus), just return the item and shut up!
As funny as this is, my daughter has an allergy to potatoes among other foods, could of had serious consequences for the wrong person.

That's my approach, too, being sensible
Where had the potato been?
It may have been in with other foods the customer is allergic too, eg onion, from the allium family of vegetables.
Take time to understand another's perspective!

PS Bob B.....play nice, disrespect and rudeness gets you nowhere.

Last edited:
Yeah...its only a half a potato....I can't get over seeing a bottle of pickles with a poor little frog in it 🤮 guess he didn't 'hop' out the way in time at harvest....

Reactions: Joydie
I looked at this salad pack and thought how wonderful it is to be able to buy salads pre prepared like this. I spent 60 years cutting up salad vegetables and I loathe cooking and everything involved with it.

Had I bought this pack, I would have simply taken the potato out and cooked it or thrown it away. I worked in medicine for 42 years and I never once heard of or met anyone with a potato allergy or any other food in that family. They must be rare.

It’s my view that the best reaction to this would have been to simply photograph the pack and email Coles with the picture attached. I’ve done that many times, including with salad packs and I’ve always had a favourable response. I’ve only done it though when the product was absolutely unable to be eaten or used.

Well I would be thrilled, as I'm addicted to spuds!:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540