Cleaning up nicely: Mums share top ‘low-tox’ cleaning tips for sparkling safe home

In the quest for a clean home, many Australians are turning away from harsh chemicals and seeking out gentler, more environmentally friendly options.

It's not just about the sparkle; it's about safety and sustainability, too.

And who better to trust for advice on this topic than the savvy mums of Australia, who are always on the lookout for effective and safe cleaning solutions for their families?

The trend towards low-tox living has gained momentum, and it's no surprise that many mums are leading the charge, sharing their favourite non-toxic cleaning products that pack a punch without harmful side effects.

In a social media group, a savvy mother asked members to share their favourite low-toxicity cleaning products, and the responses may be unexpected.

‘I want to change my cleaning chemicals to lower toxins,’ she asked. ‘I'm just wondering what everyone’s favourite brand is.’

Group members wasted no time in sharing their preferred eco-friendly cleaning products, and you might pick up a few tips yourself.

compressed-shutterstock_1723107856.jpeg
Many mums favour low-toxic cleaning products and have shared their top DIY and store-bought options. Credits: Shutterstock

The most popular suggestion among mums was to create your own DIY (do-it-yourself) natural household cleaners.

This approach not only saves money but also gives you complete control over the ingredients you're using in your home.

Below are some homemade recipes that other mums shared.

Vinegar and water: The classic duo

‘I literally just make my own with water and a bit of vinegar! It works on stainless steel, glass, etc. You can put a dash of essence in it if you want it to smell nice,’ one member shared.

Essential oils: Nature's disinfectant

‘The best low-tox is to make your own. You literally just need water, a squeegee, and a cloth to clean mirrors/windows. You can make a cleaning solution with eucalyptus oil and water,’ another mum suggested.

Citrus power: From peels to potent cleaners

Another excellent choice involved creating an all-purpose spray using leftover citrus peels.

‘Soak orange peels in vinegar for a couple of weeks, then strain and mix 50/50 with water. Put in a spray bottle,’ one savvy mum advised.

You can also check out these seven lemon tips that could transform your cleaning routine.

Washing soda: The heavy-duty cleaner

Another shared, ‘I make my own cleaning spray using this Lectric Washing Soda. It is brilliant for cleaning all surfaces and bathrooms.'

Citric acid: The bathroom's best friend

‘Citric acid is great at cleaning the bathroom and grout,’ one member recommended.

Citric acid is an inexpensive and efficient cleaning agent that can be used for various areas around the house.

Ready-made non-toxic cleaning products

For those who aren't keen on DIY, there are plenty of ready-made low-tox cleaning products that come highly recommended by other mums:

• Young Living Thieves: ‘Young Living is my go-to & they have a starter kit for cleaning,’ one said.
  • Koala Eco: ‘Young Living and Koala Eco are beautiful products,’ suggested another.
  • Earth Choice: ‘Earth Choice. Biodegradable and works well,’ another mum recommended.
  • For All: ‘For All is amazing and can be used for all cleaning needs,’ someone else shared.
  • Norwex: ‘Norwex is great. Microfibre lasts years, enzyme-based cleaners,’ another commented.
  • Bosistos: ‘Bosistos, their bathroom cleaner is great,’ one mum added.

As more Australians seek to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals, non-toxic cleaning products have become increasingly popular.

With simple ingredients like vinegar, bicarb soda, and citric acid, you can keep your home sparkling clean without compromising your health.

However, it's crucial to understand the risks of mixing certain substances, as one woman discovered when she inadvertently created a deadly gas in her home.
Key Takeaways
  • Many mums favour low-toxic cleaning products and have shared their favourite DIY and ready-made options that effectively clean their homes.
  • DIY cleaning solutions such as combinations of water with vinegar or essential oils, as well as utilising leftover citrus peels, were popular among the group members.
  • Washing soda and citric acid were recommended for creating homemade cleaning sprays and tackling tough bathroom stains.
  • For those preferring to buy products, brands like Young Living, Koala Eco, Earth Choice, For All, Norwex, and Bosistos were highlighted for their non-toxic and effective cleaning products.
Have you tried any of these low-tox cleaning methods? Do you have any secret recipes or favourite products? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored