Cleaning hacks to save you time and energy

Weekends are for running errands, outings, quality time with family and friends, and really for doing whatever you like, just not cleaning. So here are some clever tricks to keep your home in tip-top shape without killing your time and energy on the weekends.

1. Keep a window wiper/squeegee in the shower

By keeping a window wiper in the shower you can make sure to wipe away soap suds and water droplets from your shower screens before stepping out of it. This will prevent soapy scum from developing and keep your glass cleaner for longer. Plus, it only takes a few seconds and will save you from endless scrubbing! You can buy squeegee super cheap too. Woolies has one for $4.50 and Kmart has one for only $4.

2. Avoid white grout

When it comes to tiled floors, we highly recommend opting for a darker shade of grout like grey, rather than white. This will disguise the dust and dirt far better than a bright white, leaving you with a cleaner floor for longer.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 3.05.38 pm.png
Clean smarter, not harder! Image source: Pexels.

3. Try a bronze basin

We know that white is a classic choice when it comes to bathroom aesthetics, but it’s painful to keep it looking fresh and clean. A bronze basin on the other hand does a far better job at hiding that little bit of dust or dirt you might miss with cleaning. Plus, it’s a little addition that’s different to everyone else’s house. What’s not to love?

4. Keep an old towel under the basin

If you’re a big fan of white, we aren’t going to make you change your basin! Instead, why not try keeping an old hand towel or a bath towel under the sink (or hidden away elsewhere) and pull it out and use it whenever you want to quickly clean up the dirty sink in your bathroom (or kitchen for that matter)?

5. Place a shoe rack by the front door

Do your family and guests a favour and encourage them to take off their shoes and put them on the designated shoe rack as soon as they walk in the door. This will help you save time and energy on vacuuming constantly. Go for something that's aesthetically pleasing so it's easy to see and utilise.

6. Designate a ‘dumping zone’ for everyone living in the house

For each family member, identify a hook, or storage basket so they have a spot to store their items, like jackets, keys, bags, and anything that they use daily. This way they can easily find their items in the morning but they're kept out of the way of the hustle and bustle at night and on the weekends.

7. Eat at the dining table

This is one I need to stick to! Try eating at the dining room table at all times. Eating while sitting on a bed, floor, couch, or table will keep crumbs in one spot. Plus, you can easily clean up after every meal without the crumbs spreading throughout your home.

8. Clean out your fridge before your grocery shop

Okay, this might sound like a bit of work, but trust us, it’s worth it. Before heading to the supermarket, take a few minutes to check the contents of your fridge. Get rid of anything that's expired or no longer edible, so that you don't find a mouldy banana or sticky leftovers later on. Also, you'll already have a good idea of what to buy and how much room fresh food will take up when you go back home after the trip.

10. Put your oven racks in the dishwasher every week

Okay, if this was news to you too, you’re not alone. I had no idea you could put your oven racks in the dishwasher and I feel like this is going to be a game changer for me. Oven mishaps happen quite often in my household (I’m a little clumsy) and they would be a lot easier to clean if they were caught early on. If you pop your oven racks in the dishwasher once a week, you won’t have to spend all that time and energy scrubbing away those tough, baked-on stains!

11. Peel and grate your vegetables effectively

We don’t know what it is, but vegetable peels always seem to escape a surface wipe down. So why not beat them at their own game by peeling straight over your bin or into the compost? Not to mention, when it comes to grating, do it straight into the bowl you are serving in or the recipe you are concocting. No bench top contact, please!

12. Bath at bedtime

If you’re a morning shower person, you should switch your habit to a night-time shower person or up your dose to two showers a day. If you’re clean before bed, you won’t have to wash your sheets as often! And for the love of laundry, use a top sheet so you can wash your quilt less… Unless you’re like me and hate the top sheet, just wash your quilt along with your bottom sheet!

So, what did you think of these time-saving cleaning tips? Are you going to try to implement any of these in your home? Or maybe you have some tips you’d like to share with us? We’d love to hear them!

Sponsored
I take two showers a day in summer, but in winter only one. I tell myself that I don't sweat in winter.
Someone once told me to use a tissue to wipe my vanity top to remove hair and dust before wet wiping. It is certainly an easy way to clean.
I try to never go shopping on an empty tum, as I come home with too many snack foods and impulse buys.

Weekends are for running errands, outings, quality time with family and friends, and really for doing whatever you like, just not cleaning. So here are some clever tricks to keep your home in tip-top shape without killing your time and energy on the weekends.

By keeping a window wiper in the shower you can make sure to wipe away soap suds and water droplets from your shower screens before stepping out of it. This will prevent soapy scum from developing and keep your glass cleaner for longer. Plus, it only takes a few seconds and will save you from endless scrubbing! You can buy squeegee super cheap too. Woolies has one for $4.50 and Kmart has one for only $4.

2. Avoid white grout

When it comes to tiled floors, we highly recommend opting for a darker shade of grout like grey, rather than white. This will disguise the dust and dirt far better than a bright white, leaving you with a cleaner floor for longer.

View attachment 6622

3. Try a bronze basin

We know that white is a classic choice when it comes to bathroom aesthetics, but it’s painful to keep it looking fresh and clean. A bronze basin on the other hand does a far better job at hiding that little bit of dust or dirt you might miss with cleaning. Plus, it’s a little addition that’s different to everyone else’s house. What’s not to love?

If you’re a big fan of white, we aren’t going to make you change your basin! Instead, why not try keeping an old hand towel or a bath towel under the sink (or hidden away elsewhere) and pull it out and use it whenever you want to quickly clean up the dirty sink in your bathroom (or kitchen for that matter)?

Do your family and guests a favour and encourage them to take off their shoes and put them on the designated shoe rack as soon as they walk in the door. This will help you save time and energy on vacuuming constantly. Go for something that's aesthetically pleasing so it's easy to see and utilise.

For each family member, identify a hook, or storage basket so they have a spot to store their items, like jackets, keys, bags, and anything that they use daily. This way they can easily find their items in the morning but they're kept out of the way of the hustle and bustle at night and on the weekends.

This is one I need to stick to! Try eating at the dining room table at all times. Eating while sitting on a bed, floor, couch, or table will keep crumbs in one spot. Plus, you can easily clean up after every meal without the crumbs spreading throughout your home.

Okay, this might sound like a bit of work, but trust us, it’s worth it. Before heading to the supermarket, take a few minutes to check the contents of your fridge. Get rid of anything that's expired or no longer edible, so that you don't find a mouldy banana or sticky leftovers later on. Also, you'll already have a good idea of what to buy and how much room fresh food will take up when you go back home after the trip.

Okay, if this was news to you too, you’re not alone. I had no idea you could put your oven racks in the dishwasher and I feel like this is going to be a game changer for me. Oven mishaps happen quite often in my household (I’m a little clumsy) and they would be a lot easier to clean if they were caught early on. If you pop your oven racks in the dishwasher once a week, you won’t have to spend all that time and energy scrubbing away those tough, baked-on stains!

We don’t know what it is, but vegetable peels always seem to escape a surface wipe down. So why not beat them at their own game by peeling straight over your bin or into the compost? Not to mention, when it comes to grating, do it straight into the bowl you are serving in or the recipe you are concocting. No bench top contact, please!

12. Bath at bedtime

If you’re a morning shower person, you should switch your habit to a night-time shower person or up your dose to two showers a day. If you’re clean before bed, you won’t have to wash your sheets as often! And for the love of laundry, use a top sheet so you can wash your quilt less… Unless you’re like me and hate the top sheet, just wash your quilt along with your bottom sheet!

So, what did you think of these time-saving cleaning tips? Are you going to try to implement any of these in your home? Or maybe you have some tips you’d like to share with us? We’d love to hear them!
I do most of those things but I have a cane square basket outside the front door for shoes or thongs, it always looks messy but keeps everything together. I'm sure if I put a shoes rack outside the front door, mine would be the only ones in it

Reactions: TheBear

2. Avoid white grout

View attachment 6622

3. Try a bronze basin

12. Bath at bedtime

I Love the suggestion of putting oven racks in the dishwasher. It is something I never thought of. Cleaning the oven is my most disliked activity. I am also happy to hear that you don't use a top sheet. I hate getting tangled in the sheet and my husband always manages to pull the bottom of the sheet out and getting tangled so I stopped putting one on years ago, When I mention it to others they look at me strangely LOL

Reactions: TheBear
I tried to clean my oven racks in the dishwasher, but they were not really clean.
I read a hint somewhere, maybe here, about cleaning the racks using fabric softener. I was sceptical, but tried it on one rack.
I mixed the fabric softener with hot water in my laundry trough, put it in and surprisingly, after soaking for about half an hour, using a stainless steel ball and with very little effort it came out bright and shiny. The only problem was that my trough isn't quite long enough to completely immerse the racks, so I just turned it over and repeated the process.

The hint didn't say how much softener to use, or whether to mix it in water or appy it directly onto the racks, but I was fairly liberal.

I was extremely happy with the result.

I have everyone come in through the back door I have a sign on the front do saying use side entrance with an arrow, that way no dirt it walked through the house. Only my family need to remove their shoes which I have a nice rack at my back door. Would never ask guest to.

I clean my bathroom vanity and toilet every day and bath n shower every second day and a top to bottom clean once a week.

Everyone needs to take their belongings straight to their room . As I have a very large family everything needed to be put away pretty much straight away. One if my favourite phrases are Everything Has A Home

I shower twice a say. In the morning to wake up and at night I like to feel fresh and relaxed.

My fridge I clean out every Friday morning I empty completely and then shopping arrives early afternoon. I hate putting shopping away in a messy fridge.

We always try to eat at the table I love the quality time with my kids while eating. My one thing I ask us for phones to be put on silent and not answered , I ask for this 30 or so minutes

2. Avoid white grout

View attachment 6622

3. Try a bronze basin

12. Bath at bedtime