Cleaning expert warns not to try out this washing machine hack – seriously, don't do it!

Here at the SDC, we like to do our research first to check if a DIY tip is safe before sharing them with all of our members. After all, we don’t want a repeat of what happened to this woman when she combined two cleaning chemicals that should never be mixed. You can read more details about that here.

And videos of ‘little-known’ cleaning hacks or tricks go viral all the time, and we know you’ve seen some of them, too. But here’s a reminder to take every ‘tip’ you read online with a grain of salt until you’ve done further research, especially if the hack involves taking expensive household appliances apart.

Such was the case for one TikTok user named Jessie, who decided to share a video of her pulling off a part of her washing machine to show what was hidden underneath. What she uncovered is pretty gross: dank, brown gunk!

In a follow-up video, Jessie said she thinks the gunk is the build-up from fabric softener, which is known to leave behind residue in washing machines.

You can watch Jessie pull apart her washing machine below:

Jessie then took the cover part off, cleaned it by removing the residue, and then soaked the pieces in soapy water. After soaking, she scrubbed them with a brush, and then cleaned what was behind the cover inside the washing machine drum. Watch the process below:

While it may make you want to inspect your own washing machine for hidden dirt and grime, you might want to think twice.

Ann Russell, known to many of her followers as 'TikTok Auntie', warned her fans not to randomly pull apart their washing machines.

This could cause irreparable damage to the appliance, meaning you could be out of pocket at the repair shop or left without a washing machine altogether.

In her own TikTok video, Ms Russell carefully explained: ‘If something is removable by the user, it will say so in the manual.’ She added that people should be careful not to pull things off their washing machines just because they’ve seen someone online do it.

wash.jpg
Ms Russell said to be wary of pulling apart our washing machines. Credit: Ekaterina Belinskaya/Pexels

She added that if you accidentally remove parts that aren’t supposed to be removed, you’ll mess up your machine ‘beyond all repair’.

Ms Russell explained that she looked at the same part in her own washing machine, but discovered that hers wasn’t designed to come off and be cleaned.

‘If it isn’t, don’t do it, alright? Check your manual, check online, and see from there,’ she said. Ms Russell’s warning garnered a positive reaction from her viewers, who either thanked her for the advice or admitted that they wanted to ask her for advice first.

‘I was going to do it until Ann turned up,’ said one viewer.

Another agreed and said they ‘definitely needed’ to hear Ms Russell’s advice.

‘This came up on my FYP (‘For You’ Page on TikTok), and I was going to tag you. Am sort of relieved but also disappointed mine doesn’t have this!’ A third shared.

‘Same with an oven, especially doors. Did it, been there…had to call service,’ one admitted.

Another viewer wrote: ‘I was so close to getting the screwdriver and trying but I've been told no by my fairy godmother Ann Russell.’

You can watch Ms Russell’s reminder below:

Ms Russell’s advice comes after her own viral moment when she replied to a TikTok user’s basic question about her washing machine.

The woman asked: ‘Can I just confirm that nobody knows which one to put the washing detergent in?’ Before pointing to her front-loader washing machine’s detergent tray. Ms Russell’s response – as well as what detergent you should use to clean your clothes – can be found here.

Tampering with household appliances to clean or repair them can have serious consequences. Attempting to remove or repair parts of a washing machine can void warranties and can lead to further damage and costly repairs. In some cases, it can even be dangerous, as faulty wiring or wiring not up to code can lead to a risk of fire or electric shock.

To properly care for your washing machine, we recommend following your manufacturer’s instructions. If in doubt, call a professional to help you out.
Key Takeaways
  • A TikTok user named Jessie opened up a part of her washing machine to reveal the gunk inside.
  • Cleaning guru Ann Russell warned people not to randomly remove parts of their washing machine as it can cause irreparable damage.
  • Letting people know to check the manual before taking an appliance apart was well-received by fans.
Do you know of any other easy ways to keep a washing machine clean and well-maintained? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored