Cleaning 101: the ultimate guide to keeping your air fryer spotless

If you’ve recently hopped on the air fryer train, then you know how extremely convenient it is to use… Until it’s time to clean it. While cleaning an air fryer may be tedious, doing it regularly and properly is a must if you want to maximise your appliance’s lifespan.

Don’t fret! The job isn’t as dreadful as it seems if you brush up on the basics and remember these tips:

• How often should I clean my air fryer?
You should lightly rinse or wipe away leftover food residue from your air fryer after every single use. Every week, it’s due for a good scrubbing – and that includes thoroughly washing the cooking basket, pan, and trays.

But of course, this fully depends on how often you use the appliance and the types of dishes you cook with it.

GD4oBnBlbbcLEXdHUtd4Lb2O-FQx9YofgMvfXGE9Ksh_mF9c4HrDkILNtwsDM4PnLW2wjHcq2I5z95gibooGr684S5PGVvJLWRJT_svn7-fhiLwo44wubKIURjH99GCWc6vMSP9zY4_ByiBuCDImFw

Your guide to a sparkling air fryer in no time! Source: Taste of Home

A great example would be if you typically use your air fryer to cook meat. In this case, you need to give it a thorough clean after every single use to prevent cross-contamination with other foods and avoid food poisoning. The same rule applies to meat fats such as pork belly and bacon.
  • Which parts of the air fryer need to be cleaned?
Both the interior and exterior parts deserve some tenderness, love, and care. However, steer clear of using water to clean the main unit – which includes the casing, fans, and the main heating device.

Wipe these areas down with a damp cloth to disinfect them instead. Make sure to concentrate on the areas that may have any food build-up or grease splashes. But before doing that, make sure that the unit is unplugged!

On the other hand, the air fryer accessories, which include the air frying basket or rack, any mesh grills, and the tray, should be soaked in warm, soapy water or a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar.

Source: @zannigibbsxo

You may also opt to pop the accessories in a dishwasher (depending on your air fryer model) or clean them manually in the kitchen sink. If you’re washing them manually, reach out for a non-abrasive sponge to effectively remove the grease and leftover food residue without leaving scratches or removing the non-stick coating.

To avoid injuries, it’s best to let your air fryer cool down for a few minutes before grabbing the removable parts – but don’t leave it sitting on top of your cupboard for too long as doing so is counterproductive.

This may lead to food particles drying up completely, making it harder to clean and potentially wearing down the parts.

• Are air fryers dishwasher safe?
To cut to the chase, it depends.

Most air fryers come with removable parts that are dishwasher safe but the only way you can know for sure is to check the manufacturer’s recommendation through the instruction manual that it typically comes with.

6rwGVImEGbcbNc8uz9R_yyIlSW8SKZOSyISC-n-d6E1RYRK_mSp4E2tExpMBbcHB-_GmgeT7FgQFQdv5Qwe9GJoxKYMISwYcduTbahVk5PbXCn3Ad4X5ETV_XiyUx3pk5PpRPYCnaAOD9TwJPHFf0Q

Read your air fryer’s instruction manual first! Source: The Kitchn

Please don’t ever submerge the whole appliance in water as it contains electrical components.
  • What’s the easiest way to clean an air fryer?
We don’t know about you, but having to deal with an air fryer that’s covered in grime is the last thing we’d want after indulging in a delicious meal. If you can relate, give these hacks a go to make the job a lot easier!

1. To get rid of unpleasant odours, cut a lemon in half, and rub it all over the basket before turning your air fryer on low for five minutes. Then, rinse it off. The lemon extract will leave a fresh, citrus smell that will neutralise any lingering funky smells.

2. Squeeze a bit of liquid dish soap and water into the basket and turn your appliance on low for three minutes. Then, pour the soapy water out and give the removable parts a quick rinse. Just make sure that the water doesn’t get anywhere near the mechanics of the machine as this could cause some damage. So, before trying this one out, consult with the manufacturer/manual first!

Source: @kingbcouve

3. Last but not least, use a mixture of baking soda and water to form a paste. Apply it all over the removable accessories and give them a good scrub with a clean toothbrush. After that, wipe them down with a cloth to remove any residue.

Just like that, your air fryer will be sparkling in no time. Happy air frying, everyone!

What are your thoughts on this article? Better yet, do you have any air fryer cleaning tips up your sleeve? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm onto my 3rd air fryer and my kids use that more than the microwave.

I don't cook main meals in it.

My kids cook eg chicken schnitzel.
I have always chosen an airfryer with shelves rather than the draw.

We clean after every use and thoroughly every Friday.

A also place half a lemon in a bowl of water and cook for 5 minutes I also do this in the microwave , after I have cleaned it

If you’ve recently hopped on the air fryer train, then you know how extremely convenient it is to use… Until it’s time to clean it. While cleaning an air fryer may be tedious, doing it regularly and properly is a must if you want to maximise your appliance’s lifespan.

Don’t fret! The job isn’t as dreadful as it seems if you brush up on the basics and remember these tips:

You should lightly rinse or wipe away leftover food residue from your air fryer after every single use. Every week, it’s due for a good scrubbing – and that includes thoroughly washing the cooking basket, pan, and trays.

But of course, this fully depends on how often you use the appliance and the types of dishes you cook with it.

GD4oBnBlbbcLEXdHUtd4Lb2O-FQx9YofgMvfXGE9Ksh_mF9c4HrDkILNtwsDM4PnLW2wjHcq2I5z95gibooGr684S5PGVvJLWRJT_svn7-fhiLwo44wubKIURjH99GCWc6vMSP9zY4_ByiBuCDImFw

A great example would be if you typically use your air fryer to cook meat. In this case, you need to give it a thorough clean after every single use to prevent cross-contamination with other foods and avoid food poisoning. The same rule applies to meat fats such as pork belly and bacon.
Both the interior and exterior parts deserve some tenderness, love, and care. However, steer clear of using water to clean the main unit – which includes the casing, fans, and the main heating device.

Wipe these areas down with a damp cloth to disinfect them instead. Make sure to concentrate on the areas that may have any food build-up or grease splashes. But before doing that, make sure that the unit is unplugged!

On the other hand, the air fryer accessories, which include the air frying basket or rack, any mesh grills, and the tray, should be soaked in warm, soapy water or a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar.

You may also opt to pop the accessories in a dishwasher (depending on your air fryer model) or clean them manually in the kitchen sink. If you’re washing them manually, reach out for a non-abrasive sponge to effectively remove the grease and leftover food residue without leaving scratches or removing the non-stick coating.

To avoid injuries, it’s best to let your air fryer cool down for a few minutes before grabbing the removable parts – but don’t leave it sitting on top of your cupboard for too long as doing so is counterproductive.

This may lead to food particles drying up completely, making it harder to clean and potentially wearing down the parts.

Most air fryers come with removable parts that are dishwasher safe but the only way you can know for sure is to check the manufacturer’s recommendation through the instruction manual that it typically comes with.

6rwGVImEGbcbNc8uz9R_yyIlSW8SKZOSyISC-n-d6E1RYRK_mSp4E2tExpMBbcHB-_GmgeT7FgQFQdv5Qwe9GJoxKYMISwYcduTbahVk5PbXCn3Ad4X5ETV_XiyUx3pk5PpRPYCnaAOD9TwJPHFf0Q

Please don’t ever submerge the whole appliance in water as it contains electrical components.
We don’t know about you, but having to deal with an air fryer that’s covered in grime is the last thing we’d want after indulging in a delicious meal. If you can relate, give these hacks a go to make the job a lot easier!

1. To get rid of unpleasant odours, cut a lemon in half, and rub it all over the basket before turning your air fryer on low for five minutes. Then, rinse it off. The lemon extract will leave a fresh, citrus smell that will neutralise any lingering funky smells.

2. Squeeze a bit of liquid dish soap and water into the basket and turn your appliance on low for three minutes. Then, pour the soapy water out and give the removable parts a quick rinse. Just make sure that the water doesn’t get anywhere near the mechanics of the machine as this could cause some damage. So, before trying this one out, consult with the manufacturer/manual first!

3. Last but not least, use a mixture of baking soda and water to form a paste. Apply it all over the removable accessories and give them a good scrub with a clean toothbrush. After that, wipe them down with a cloth to remove any residue.

Just like that, your air fryer will be sparkling in no time. Happy air frying, everyone!

What are your thoughts on this article? Better yet, do you have any air fryer cleaning tips up your sleeve? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: 9509
Cross contamination of bacteria from meats>
The temperature used to kill bacteria depends on the target pathogen and the processed food but a temperature of 165°F (74°C) is sufficient to make foods safe.
So at the usual 150-200C and at least 10 minutes in the frier I think any bacteria will be long dead

Cross contamination of bacteria from meats>
The temperature used to kill bacteria depends on the target pathogen and the processed food but a temperature of 165°F (74°C) is sufficient to make foods safe.
So at the usual 150-200C and at least 10 minutes in the frier I think any bacteria will be long dead
I still wouldn't trust it , better to give it a good clean . It's like a fridge they say storing food in a fridge stops bacteria but we still have to clean it regularly

Well one thing is for sure......I would not be trying to clean my airfryer with a tooth brush....Good grief it would take all night..

• Haha
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I find a squirt of dishwashing liquid and some hot water in the basket as soon as it's emptied then when we've finished eating it just needs a bit of a swirl around, rinse and it's all done, easy.:)

To prevent food from sticking on the inside tray, I use cut waxed baking paper on the tray to hold the food.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I also clean it after every use, plus wipe the element with a damp cloth.
Air fryers cook the best chicken (pieces & whole). I bought an extra large size and I can cook a whole chicken in 1hr.
So much easier to clean than an oven.