Clean your fly screens like a pro with this Kmart product!

Maintaining a clean and comfortable home is important, especially for people in their golden years who appreciate a tidy space.

However, some tasks can feel a bit cumbersome, like fly screen cleaning, which, while necessary, can be tedious and often overlooked.

But, a Kmart shopper has just made the process a whole lot simpler with a cleaning trick that involves a product you might not expect.

The Kmart Spot Cleaner, a $99 gadget typically used for reviving dirty upholstery, rugs, and carpets, has been repurposed by a creative homeowner for a completely different task: cleaning fly screens.

The results are so impressive that it took Kmart fans and social media by storm.

Untitled design.jpg
The shopper showed on social media how well the Spot Cleaner removed dirt from her fly screen. Image: Facebook/Kmart Hacks & Decor Australia

The homeowner shared her ingenious trick in a post: 'Spot cleaner hack! You can clean your fly screens! Just open the window so the water has somewhere to drip outside and go for it—I used the white bristle attachment.'

Accompanying her post were images showing the dirty water collected by the gadget after cleaning one fly screen, and the noticeable difference it made to another.

The post quickly garnered an enthusiastic response from those who were thrilled by the prospect of making this typically tedious task much easier.

One commenter exclaimed: 'So clever! I have some windows with mounted plantations that are in the window frame so I’d have to remove them to remove my fly screens. Now I don’t have to!'

Another added: 'This is usually such an annoying job, this looks like it would make it super easy.'

One wrote: ‘I must try!’

Another remarked: ‘I only got my hands on one of these spot cleaners on Sunday. It is fantastic! Love it. Now I’m on a mission to clean everything.’

The Kmart Spot Cleaner is a compact, portable device designed to deep clean carpets, rugs, and upholstery.

It uses a combination of warm water, cleaning solution, and powerful suction to remove dirt and stains.

The device comes with a white bristle attachment, ideal for scrubbing stubborn dirt and grime.

While the Spot Cleaner is typically used for indoor cleaning tasks, this innovative trick shows that it can also be a game-changer for outdoor cleaning tasks like fly screens.

The device's powerful suction and scrubbing action can effectively remove the dust, dirt, and grime that accumulate on fly screens over time.

This Kmart Spot Cleaner trick is a testament to the ingenuity of homeowners who are always on the lookout for smarter, easier ways to keep their homes clean and fresh.

So, if you're tired of struggling with dirty fly screens, why not give this trick a try?

Remember, though, always to test any new cleaning method on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it doesn't cause any damage.

You can watch a video review of Kmart’s Spot Cleaner below:

Source: TikTok/@theriverscleaning​

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has shared a trick for cleaning fly screens using the Kmart Spot Cleaner.
  • The Spot Cleaner, primarily designed for cleaning upholstery, has been repurposed to effectively clean dirty and dusty fly screens.
  • The post detailing the cleaning hack received an excited response on the Kmart Hacks & Decor Australia social media page.
  • People online praised the trick, noting it makes the typically annoying job of cleaning fly screens much easier.

Have you tried this trick, or do you have any other clever cleaning tips to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm confused by this statement - "open the window so the water has somewhere to drip outside". This would suggest you are cleaning from the inside of the gauze so surely you would have the window open so you have access to the gauze. If, however, you are cleaning from the outside, why would you open the window & let the water go inside over your furniture?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it sounds like a very expensive ($99 for the scrubber) dumb idea.

I take the flyscreens off, put them in the shower and clean them in there with running water. I get to remove all gunk and clean the frames as well. Gently wipe over w chamois, then they drip dry. Yes I get wet but that’s OK - at least I know they are all clean and done. Then just put the back up.
My screens are inside ones as windows are Awning style, except for 2 sliding kitchen windows. I live upstairs.

What a waste of money, time and effort!!
I vacuum my screens weekly with the upholstery brush attachment when cleaning my house. You have the vacuum out, so do your flyscreens at the same time, along with your doors screens! Doesn't take very long and then you only have to wash them a couple of times a year.....take them outside, line them up along a wall, bucket of soapy water and a banister brush, then hose off the suds, drip dry and hang back up....job done!! Oh and I clean my windows before hanging up my nice clean flyscreens too!!

What a waste of money, time and effort!!
I vacuum my screens weekly with the upholstery brush attachment when cleaning my house. You have the vacuum out, so do your flyscreens at the same time, along with your doors screens! Doesn't take very long and then you only have to wash them a couple of times a year.....take them outside, line them up along a wall, bucket of soapy water and a banister brush, then hose off the suds, drip dry and hang back up....job done!! Oh and I clean my windows before hanging up my nice clean flyscreens too!!
I will never be that keen to clean. Taking the vac cleaner outside to clean gauze screens would be impossible for some of my windows. No electricity available to reach them. The last time I took one of my gauze frames of a window I couldn't get it back on. My house moves with the weather & it had moved enough that the frame would not easily go back. I had to beg someone stronger than me to come & fix it for me.

I'm confused by this statement - "open the window so the water has somewhere to drip outside". This would suggest you are cleaning from the inside of the gauze so surely you would have the window open so you have access to the gauze. If, however, you are cleaning from the outside, why would you open the window & let the water go inside over your furniture?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it sounds like a very expensive ($99 for the scrubber) dumb idea.
How many windows wind out. Not mine. So water would run inside!

Reactions: Fanger
I remove the flyscreens, shower them with running water to clean off gunk, and wipe the frames. After gently drying with a chamois, I let them drip dry. Despite getting wet, it ensures thorough cleaning. My screens are mostly indoors as my windows are Awning style, except for 2 sliding kitchen windows. I reside upstairs.