Clare Nowland case escalates to manslaughter after alleged police taser incident

Content warning: This story discusses themes some members may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

An officer's duty is to ensure the safety and security of every citizen, but a recent turn of events in the case of Clare Nowland, a 95-year-old woman allegedly tasered by a police officer, has cast a shadow of concern over this principle.

The case of the woman, who died from her injuries allegedly caused by the tasering of a police officer in her aged care home, has taken a dramatic turn.

The officer involved, Senior Constable Kristian White, has now had his charges upgraded to manslaughter.

This comes months after the incident, which allegedly led to the death of the elderly woman in a hospital.

SDC 1.jpg
An elderly woman who was allegedly tasered has passed away. Image source: Shutterstock.

On the night of May 17, Clare Nowland, a resident of the Yallambee Lodge aged care home in Cooma, was reportedly suffering from an episode related to her dementia.

She was found wandering around the facility, holding two kitchen knives. She allegedly wheeled her walking frame towards the rooms of three residents and reportedly even leaned over their beds.

The staff, alarmed by her behaviour, called the police for assistance.

Senior Constable White, a 33-year-old officer, and his female colleague were called out of bed to attend to the situation.

Upon their arrival, they found Mrs Nowland in an office, holding a knife and a torch.

Police allege that Mrs Nowland even threw a knife at one of the carers, which landed on the ground.

Despite their attempts to persuade her to drop the knife, Mrs Nowland allegedly raised her hand and pointed the knife at them.

According to police documents, Constable White activated the Taser’s warning device and pointed it at the chest of the frail woman, who weighed just 43kg.

He allegedly warned her, 'Clare, stop now, see this, this is a Taser. Drop it now, drop it, this is your first warning. See, you are going to get tased.'

When Mrs Nowland raised the knife, Constable White allegedly discharged the stun gun into her chest. The elderly woman fell backwards, hitting her head heavily on the wooden floor.

She sustained an inoperable bleed on her brain and reportedly passed away a week later at Cooma Hospital.

Initially, Constable White was charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and common assault over the incident.

However, following advice from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and State Crime Command’s homicide squad, the charges were upgraded to manslaughter on Wednesday.

Constable White has been suspended from duty with full pay and is on bail in the Cooma community.

He is prohibited from interacting with any of Mrs Nowland’s eight children, 24 grandchildren, or 30 great-grandchildren.

His next court appearance is scheduled for December 6 at Cooma Local Court.

While Mrs Nowland was still fighting for her life in hospital, her family filed a civil case against the state of NSW for negligence and trespass to a person.
Key Takeaways
  • The charges against a police officer who allegedly tasered a 95-year-old woman at an aged care home have been upgraded to manslaughter.
  • The officer, Senior Constable Kristian White, had originally been charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault.
  • The incident occurred in May when Clare Nowland, who suffered from dementia, was allegedly tasered at her nursing home, leading to her death.
  • Constable White, who remains suspended with full pay, will appear at Cooma Local Court on December 6.
Our thoughts are with Clare Nowland’s family during this difficult time, may she rest in peace.

Members, what are your thoughts on this case? Let us know in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Sierra040
Sponsored
How can we be judgemental of something we were not witness to, going on what was in the media doesn’t give us the right as we don’t know all the circumstances surrounding this incident. I doubt any of us know what we would do in the same situation. People can be so unpredictable in these circumstances, so maybe we should 😎 our heels and let the law do it’s job.

All the cops are good for is booking people for speeding, theft and the similar. This cop is a murderer and I hope the bastard goes to jail for life. It might make these dickheads think before they act. No excuse whatsoever to tazer and elderly person or anyone for that matter. Tazers should be banned from use. Too many people have been killed by these gadgets. Cattle prods were banned years ago so why are cops aloud to use them is beyound me. Cops are nothing but idiots at best and should be locked in their pig pens and not allowed in public. The local cops in my town are the biggist f.....g morons I have ever seen and as Useless as tits on a bull. An example should be made of this murdering pig who calls himself a police officer.
How disrespectful you are of the police force. Why would you talk of your local police like that, it sounds like you obviously have lot to do with them, why would that be??
My eldest son has the same opinion of police, and the courts for that matter, and dribbles the same sort of rubbish. But then he's a brain addled drug addict who has spent years on the wrong side of the law, although never his fault, always the f***ing cops, of course
Just saying.

How disrespectful you are of the police force. Why would you talk of your local police like that, it sounds like you obviously have lot to do with them, why would that be??
My eldest son has the same opinion of police, and the courts for that matter, and dribbles the same sort of rubbish. But then he's a brain addled drug addict who has spent years on the wrong side of the law, although never his fault, always the f***ing cops, of course
Just saying.
My son - in - law has just left the police force after 14 yrs of dealing with low life scum and putting his life on the line for what , unless you walk a mile in their shoes , don’t insult the decent ones who are there for you in your need ,just appreciate the decent ones as there are bad in every walk of life.

I doubt that she would have done much damage. 43kg isn't. a lot of weight. Frail is what I call it. One person on each side (as the other constable had already offered to get the knives off her) probably would have done the job. Also what about lateral thinking. All they had to do was throw a blanket over her hands. Unless it was a steak knife it would be hard for a person like that to stab anyone. Reality meeting excessive fear me thinks
Agree ,100 %

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Just saying.
Well said 👏

All the cops are good for is booking people for speeding, theft and the similar. This cop is a murderer and I hope the bastard goes to jail for life. It might make these dickheads think before they act. No excuse whatsoever to tazer and elderly person or anyone for that matter. Tazers should be banned from use. Too many people have been killed by these gadgets. Cattle prods were banned years ago so why are cops aloud to use them is beyound me. Cops are nothing but idiots at best and should be locked in their pig pens and not allowed in public. The local cops in my town are the biggist f.....g morons I have ever seen and as Useless as tits on a bull. An example should be made of this murdering pig who calls himself a police officer.
There are good and bad in all fields of work.
Most police officers put their lives on the line daily.
Most of the time they are first on the scene at car accidents , what they see and deal with would break most people.

This police that tazzered and killed this lady needs to be dealt with. Maybe he was rash and didn't think or just wanted a quick end to it. Now he needs to suffer the consequences and he should be off without pay.

How would our society be without these people who protect us.

My nephew hates police but that's because he is always in trouble including now being locked up in jail at Cessnock . He did the crime now he pays in time

I don’t think he should be charged, as she had a knife and she was threatening residents and the police, no one knew what she was capable of doing. She had to be stopped it was extremely sad for her family and I think the nursing home has lot to answer for. Her wing should have been locked leaving access to the kitchen impossible and more staff to monitor residents would have prevented the situation
Fair go anyone could have walked away from her, there was no way she was a threat to any normal person. I'm in my 80's and could hop along faster than someone who needed to use a walking frame!

How sad
I don’t understand why the aged care facility could not have handled the situation and calling in the police.

Police obviously unsure of or not trained on how to deal with the elderly.
I think it is so sad the policeman doing the job to the best of his ability/training now on charges.

I would not want to nor want my children to be in the police force.
The only staff working at nights in aged care facilities are right at the bottom end of the scale of competence.