Choosing Holiday Accommodation: The Tech Guy – Dr Al

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member @Doctor Alan.

With Christmas approaching, some of us – the lucky ones – may be planning a holiday. Whether it’s overseas or domestic, one of the areas of concern is accommodation – what do we choose? Your choice could make or mar a holiday.

shutterstock_2091995596 (1).jpg
Planning a holiday? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Types of accommodation:

Hotel/Motel:
This is the standard accommodation we choose. Depending on your budget, you could be getting a flea pit or a touch of luxury.

One of the best hotels my wife and I have used was the Regent Hotel in Beijing. We had a ‘Club’ room on the 17th floor, I believe. On the floor above us was a lounge where food was always available for ‘Club Class’ residents. The room was huge and comfortable, and not that expensive either.

One of the worst was adjacent to a brothel (yes, truly!) in Newcastle, NSW. It was so bad that we actually phoned to cancel after we’d arrived and stayed somewhere else. We eventually got a full refund.

Holiday Cabin: These are usually placed in a caravan park (‘tourist park’) and have quite basic accommodation but sometimes have the advantage of having their own kitchen. The price is on par with that of a standard motel.

Airbnb: This type of accommodation could be a whole house, a self-contained apartment, or just a room in somebody’s home. The price varies widely, but it is generally similar to that of a motel.

shutterstock_2422209289 (1).jpg
Have you booked an Airbnb before? Image Credit: Shutterstock

What to look for:

Beds:
My wife and I prefer to sleep in a King-sized bed or separate (twin) beds. This choice often rules out many motels, etc., because they only have Queen-sized beds. Funnily enough, this preference of ours makes it sensible to ‘pre-plan’ our holidays just to get decent beds.

Sponsored