For Chocolate Layer
3/4 cup Full fat milk powder
1/2 tbsp + 1/4 tsp Cocoa powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tbsp Ghee
1 tbsp Chopped Pistachio / Almonds optional
Instructions
For White Layer:
Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp of water to the sugar and slowly bring to boil until the sugar has melted.
Once the sugar and water mixture starts to feel sticky (Don’t allow it to become stringy or stiff); add the milk powder to the sugar mixture, stir and add in the milk and ghee.
Mix well and once mixed, turn off the heat. Add the saffron and cardamom powder now. ( Soak the saffron in a tablespoon of hot milk for 5-6 minutes as this gives the barfi the flavour and the colour). Grease a dish with some ghee and turn the barfi mixture onto the dish. Spread the mixture using the back of a spoon and smoothen it.
Allow this mixture to cool until it solidifies. It will take 1-2 hrs. Once the barfi has cooled, it’s time to layer it with the Chocolate layer.
For Chocolate Layer:
Combine milk powder and cocoa powder. Sift it. Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp of water to the sugar and slowly bring to boil until the sugar has melted. Once the sugar and water mixture starts to feel sticky (Don’t allow it to become stringy or stiff); add the milk powder to the sugar mixture, stir and add in ghee. Mix well.
The mixture will be of pouring consistency and will be leaving the sides of the pan.
Pour this mixture over the cooled white layer and let it set. When the chocolate is half set, sprinkle the nuts on top (if using). The chocolate layer may take sometime to set, mine was set in 6-8 hrs. Once it is set, cut in desired shape. The barfis will keep well in an airtight container at room temp for 2-3 days.
Notes
I got 10-12 slices from the above qty.
The original recipe uses cooking chocolate for the chocolate layer. If using cooking chocolate, use 150 gms (milk or dark) cooking chocolate for the above qty. Melt the chocolate using double boiler method and pour it over the cooled white layer. Let it set and then slice and serve.
Since I like a thin chocolate layer, i adjusted the recipe accordingly. However if you like a equal parts of white and chocolate layer, use the same measurements as white layer and use 1 tbsp of cocoa.
Also I wanted my chocolate layer to have a glossy finish, so I didnt use milk and cooked for a lesser time.

Sponsored