Chinzambees, Finger Moles, and Window Screamers: Grandparents Share Their Grandchildren's Adorable Mispronunciations!

When it comes to helping raise the little ones in our lives, there's no doubt that our grandchildren hold a special place in our hearts. In a recent discussion on the UK forum, GransNet, members shared their experiences with hearing very cute mispronunciations from their grandchildren, sparking a fun and heartfelt conversation about the endearing errors youngsters make when trying to navigate the complexities of the English language! And honestly, who can blame them. Let's explore some of the delightful mispronunciations our readers have encountered.

shutterstock_1753928948.jpg
Do your grandchildren mispronounce words? Image source: Shutterstock.

GransNet's original poster posed the question of whether or not it's endearing when grandchildren get words mixed up or mispronounce things, using a specific example of a bright, 8-year-old granddaughter who couldn't say ‘Chimpanzee’ but instead calls it ‘Chinzambee.’ Fellow forum members quickly chimed in with their own gorgeous stories.

One reader shared their heartwarming experience of being called ‘gan-ma’ by their grandchild who can't yet pronounce their ‘r's’ and wrote, ‘I shall be devastated when I stop being gan-ma.’

Another forum user recalled a story from 40 years ago when their young daughter was given a plush hippopotamus toy and adorably mispronounced the animal's name as ‘Hit a pom a tus.’ These early memories continue to make them smile, how could they not?

Other GransNet users shared their grandchildren's creative mispronunciations: ‘Andulblance’ instead of ‘ambulance,’ ‘blom bloms’ for ‘pylons,’ ‘Dicker decker bus’ for ‘double-decker bus,’ and even ‘nanny and branddad’ for ‘nanny and grandad’. These mispronunciations are not only amusing but also endearing and show the unique ways in which children perceive and interpret the world around them.

Several users shared instances of everything and anything being renamed by their little ones, such as one grandson who calls ‘propellers’ ‘wella pellas,’ and another who refers to ‘flamingos’ as ‘Finger Moles.’ One member recounted the story of their daughter making a best friend at school named ‘Abigail,’ whom she adorably called ‘HappyGal.’

On the topic of reading and pronunciation, one user shared the amusing tale of their three-year-old grandson reading ‘Kentucky Fried Chicken’ as ‘Kenf***y Fried Chicken’ on a billboard.

Some GransNet users also mentioned slightly more embarrassing but equally treasured mispronunciations that their grandchildren uttered. One user wrote that their granddaughter loved Christmas and its ‘titty lights’ instead of ‘twinkle lights,’ while another shared that their three-year-old granddaughter said ‘boobies’ instead of ‘blueberries.’

Apart from the innocent humour woven throughout this discussion, what becomes apparent is the deep love and appreciation many grandparents have for their grandchildren's genuine attempts to communicate and the sincere joy they derive from witnessing their learning process. As one GransNet user beautifully put it, ‘My 5-year-old Grandson says beaufital instead of beautiful. Melts my heart every time.’

While you can gently correct your grandchildren’s mispronunciations as they continue to learn and grow, it is equally valuable to appreciate and cherish these sweet memories. All in all, the forum has provided a space for grandparents to come together and share their delight and love for their grandchildren's unique and memorable attempts at communication.

So, what's your take on the topic? Do your grandchildren's amusing mispronunciations warm your heart or make you laugh? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. We’d love to hear more sweet mispronunciations, too!

Sponsored
When it comes to helping raise the little ones in our lives, there's no doubt that our grandchildren hold a special place in our hearts. In a recent discussion on the UK forum, GransNet, members shared their experiences with hearing very cute mispronunciations from their grandchildren, sparking a fun and heartfelt conversation about the endearing errors youngsters make when trying to navigate the complexities of the English language! And honestly, who can blame them. Let's explore some of the delightful mispronunciations our readers have encountered.

View attachment 17363

GransNet's original poster posed the question of whether or not it's endearing when grandchildren get words mixed up or mispronounce things, using a specific example of a bright, 8-year-old granddaughter who couldn't say ‘Chimpanzee’ but instead calls it ‘Chinzambee.’ Fellow forum members quickly chimed in with their own gorgeous stories.

One reader shared their heartwarming experience of being called ‘gan-ma’ by their grandchild who can't yet pronounce their ‘r's’ and wrote, ‘I shall be devastated when I stop being gan-ma.’

Another forum user recalled a story from 40 years ago when their young daughter was given a plush hippopotamus toy and adorably mispronounced the animal's name as ‘Hit a pom a tus.’ These early memories continue to make them smile, how could they not?

Other GransNet users shared their grandchildren's creative mispronunciations: ‘Andulblance’ instead of ‘ambulance,’ ‘blom bloms’ for ‘pylons,’ ‘Dicker decker bus’ for ‘double-decker bus,’ and even ‘nanny and branddad’ for ‘nanny and grandad’. These mispronunciations are not only amusing but also endearing and show the unique ways in which children perceive and interpret the world around them.

Several users shared instances of everything and anything being renamed by their little ones, such as one grandson who calls ‘propellers’ ‘wella pellas,’ and another who refers to ‘flamingos’ as ‘Finger Moles.’ One member recounted the story of their daughter making a best friend at school named ‘Abigail,’ whom she adorably called ‘HappyGal.’

On the topic of reading and pronunciation, one user shared the amusing tale of their three-year-old grandson reading ‘Kentucky Fried Chicken’ as ‘Kenf***y Fried Chicken’ on a billboard.

Some GransNet users also mentioned slightly more embarrassing but equally treasured mispronunciations that their grandchildren uttered. One user wrote that their granddaughter loved Christmas and its ‘titty lights’ instead of ‘twinkle lights,’ while another shared that their three-year-old granddaughter said ‘boobies’ instead of ‘blueberries.’

Apart from the innocent humour woven throughout this discussion, what becomes apparent is the deep love and appreciation many grandparents have for their grandchildren's genuine attempts to communicate and the sincere joy they derive from witnessing their learning process. As one GransNet user beautifully put it, ‘My 5-year-old Grandson says beaufital instead of beautiful. Melts my heart every time.’

While you can gently correct your grandchildren’s mispronunciations as they continue to learn and grow, it is equally valuable to appreciate and cherish these sweet memories. All in all, the forum has provided a space for grandparents to come together and share their delight and love for their grandchildren's unique and memorable attempts at communication.

So, what's your take on the topic? Do your grandchildren's amusing mispronunciations warm your heart or make you laugh? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. We’d love to hear more sweet mispronunciations, too!

fractional finger instead of fractured finger, rec-crew-it instead of recruit

I used to say Amalance for Ambulance as a child and my son said Helichopters for Helicopters. My daughter who had a learning difficulty referred to any kind of water (bath, river, ocean, swimming pool etc) as Drink.

Granddaughter - “jam mamma” for grandma, “frebbles” for the Incredibles, and “tittens” for kittens at age 2. She’s almost 21 now. Her younger brother by 4 years used to say “amblience” for ambulance.

Granddaughter - “jam mamma” for grandma, “frebbles” for the Incredibles, and “tittens” for kittens at age 2. She’s almost 21 now. Her younger brother by 4 years used to say “amblience” for ambulance.
My all time favourite would have to be a child calling a Rhinocerous (sorry about the spelling) a Battle Unicorn, seemed like a better name for that wonderful animal to me.

My best mate's kids were always very amusing at this. The youngest one when she was an ultra cute 2-year-old blonde would sidle up to the kitchen bench and when asked what she would like she was very specific in advising "something for eat". The phrase is now part of the family and friends' normal conversation when referring to any meal or food item. Cracks me up.

View attachment 17363

My precious granddaughter never used to call me anything but 'that lady ' as she couldn't say, granny. So I became Nana & I still answer to that today now she is 24.

• Love
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Had a blast reading these, thanks for sharing, everyone! 😊

While technically not a mispronunciation, my niece had a phase where she would randomly say 'my eagle', and all of us have absolutely no idea where she got it from! :LOL: (And no, we don't own any eagles, much less know of one around!)

My Grandson used to say “Wed Wooster” (Red Rooster), “Agusting” (disgusting), he is now 20 and we often laugh about his funny pronunciations. My Granddaughter couldn’t say “Grandma” so her word was “Mama” and even to this day she calls her other Grandmother this name and she is 18. I inherited the name of “Bubble Nanna” which her and her Brother still call me, they are 18 and 16. My Daughter was telling her Grandmother that “Mummy is going to buy some “shitted feets” (fitted sheets), she was about 8 at the time, she is now almost 53!! Another Grandson used to call my late Mum “Nanny Popcorns”, her surname was “Watkins”, she used to giggle when he called her that.

My daughter used to say veg-bittles instead of vegetables, and hostibble instead of hospital.

When I was young, I won an Australia-wide Bible knowledge competition through the local church. They were so proud, they made a huge fuss and had a special service to acknowledge the achievement. At the last minute, they asked me to do a reading during the service so I did not have the chance to practice. The reading contained the word "iniquities", which I had never heard of, and I pronounced it "in-quin-ities". Everyone laughed and I was mortified. That was the end of me ever reading in church again. :) And the moral of the story is, don't laugh at kids when they mispronounce words (no matter how cute it is) as it can have a profound effect on them.

View attachment 17363

Reactions: Jarred Santos
My Grandson used to say “Wed Wooster” (Red Rooster), “Agusting” (disgusting), he is now 20 and we often laugh about his funny pronunciations. My Granddaughter couldn’t say “Grandma” so her word was “Mama” and even to this day she calls her other Grandmother this name and she is 18. I inherited the name of “Bubble Nanna” which her and her Brother still call me, they are 18 and 16. My Daughter was telling her Grandmother that “Mummy is going to buy some “shitted feets” (fitted sheets), she was about 8 at the time, she is now almost 53!! Another Grandson used to call my late Mum “Nanny Popcorns”, her surname was “Watkins”, she used to giggle when he called her that.
I do think these kids' innocent mistakes like 'shitted feets' are a good way to suss out adults with naughty brains (like me!) haha had more than a few chuckles reading this :LOL:
My daughter used to say veg-bittles instead of vegetables, and hostibble instead of hospital.

When I was young, I won an Australia-wide Bible knowledge competition through the local church. They were so proud, they made a huge fuss and had a special service to acknowledge the achievement. At the last minute, they asked me to do a reading during the service so I did not have the chance to practice. The reading contained the word "iniquities", which I had never heard of, and I pronounced it "in-quin-ities". Everyone laughed and I was mortified. That was the end of me ever reading in church again. :) And the moral of the story is, don't laugh at kids when they mispronounce words (no matter how cute it is) as it can have a profound effect on them.
Surely everyone else understood, and it wasn't a bad pronunciation at all! I'd have melted on the spot if I ever was made to pronounce that word :LOL:

But all the same, I agree @MotherGoose! No one can go wrong with a bit of compassion 😊

A Lebanese family moved in across the road when my son was a kid. When he came home from playing at their house he informed me he had just ate Lesbian food lol. My grandson when he was little would say “Tutu” for thank you. No one would correct him cos it was so damn cute.

My 2 year old granddaughter calls me gam-ma (grandma). My daughter when about 8 and reading a sign when we were driving past: O look, a chiporactor. Nearly correct!!!

I love all the cute sayings from children but as an adult, it doesn't sit so well. My late father-in-law was a cockney & he seemed to be the original Mr Malaprop. There wasn't a single word that he could say without messing it up somehow either by malaproping it or converting it to rhyming slang. We were always going to catalogue all his malapropisms but of course, never did. It became a source of annoyance in the end.