Cherished dog went missing near Melbourne Airport in the hands of pet transport company

The heart-wrenching tale of a beloved Jack Russell terrier named Milo, who went missing in the vicinity of Melbourne Airport, has recently gripped the local community.

Milo's owner, Jason Whatnall, was preparing for a new chapter in the United Kingdom when the unthinkable happened.

On March 18, while under the care of AeroPets Animal Transport, Milo managed to escape as he was being transferred from his cage.

The incident occurred just as he was about to embark on his journey with Whatnall to their new home overseas.

The escape has been attributed to Milo biting the handler during the transfer, a situation that AeroPets claimed was unforeseen as they were not informed of Milo's fear of people or vehicles.

433136539_794297589265167_5912081269307625794_n.jpg
Jason Whatnall and his pet, Milo. Image source: Jason Whatnall/Facebook

The company's immediate response was to inform the owners and initiate a search, which Whatnall participated in for several hours before his scheduled flight.

‘We advised the owners of what happened immediately, who came in and helped with the search for a few hours. The owners of Milo then took a flight out of Australia,’ the company stated.

Despite the distressing situation, Whatnall had to leave Australia as planned, leaving the search for Milo in the hands of AeroPets and local animal rescuers.

AeroPets has since taken extensive measures to locate the missing dog, including flying in staff from Brisbane, distributing hundreds of flyers, setting up food and cameras, and engaging social media groups to spread the word.

In a unique approach to the search, rescuer Nigel Williamson has been playing recordings of Whatnall's voice over a speaker, hoping to draw Milo out of hiding.

This tactic seemed to bear fruit when Milo was spotted on motion-sensing cameras in a paddock near the airport, albeit not in the area initially searched.

The rescuers have now set up a trap, hoping to lure Milo with treats and his owner's old clothes.

The emotional toll on Whatnall, who is anxiously awaiting updates from the UK, is palpable.

‘I’m feeling helpless, I’m over here in the UK because I couldn’t change my flights,’ he said.

He expressed his feelings of helplessness but also his satisfaction with AeroPets' response to the situation.

‘Our pets are like our babies, and we really expect that they’re going to be looked after and safely transported when we’re passing on our pets into care,’ he said.

434263882_794297615931831_8130883269340462265_n.jpg
Milo was last seen around Mareno Road and Lambeck Drive, Tullamarine. Image source: Jason Whatnall/Facebook

The community's support has been overwhelming, with Whatnall's mother, Jenny Kling, driving from Bendigo to Melbourne in the hope that her dog, Milo's mother, could track down her son based on scent.

The local community's involvement has been a silver lining for the family, with strangers offering help and keeping the hope alive that Milo will be found safe and sound.

‘I’ve just had people just randomly pull me up on the street now and say, “Are you looking for Milo?” It’s just wonderful community help,’ Kling expressed.

‘That’s been amazing, and it’s kept me hopeful that he’s going to be all right,’ Whatnall shared.

Whatnall also posted on social media, emphasising that a ‘reward is being offered for the safe return’ of his beloved dog.

‘Please contact 0432 222 474 if you have seen Milo or know of his whereabouts!’ his post read.

He added: ‘If you see Milo, please do not approach, whistle, call out or chase as he is in survival mode/terrified and will run. Try to take a photo and note the time/location.’

You can watch the interview with Whatnall here:

Source: The Project/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • A man's Jack Russell terrier named Milo escaped while in the care of AeroPets Animal Transport near Melbourne Airport.
  • The transport company responded to the incident by hiring animal rescuers and distributing flyers in the Tullamarine area.
  • The owner's mother and other community members are actively involved in the search for Milo, with reports of sightings near the airport.
  • The owner, who had to fly out to the UK, expressed his anxiousness but satisfaction with the transport company's efforts to locate his missing dog.
Our thoughts are with Milo and his owner, and we hope that they are reunited very soon.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Do you have tips to ensure your pet’s safety during transport? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I saw on the news yesterday that Milo has been found.
I can understand how distressed his owner would be.
It is unfortunate that the owner didn't warn them of the dogs timid nature.
Yes they should have been in an enclosed area, but we all make mistakes and the
company definitely did everything they possibly could to find Milo
All's well that ends well as they say.

I am very pleased that the dog has been found safe. No thanks to the Company responsible for Milo's transport. Their employees should be properly trained and Rule No 1 should be that no dog is allowed out of the crate unless it is in a very secure escape proof location. You would think that common sense would dictate that - but apparently not!! And all owners should have Identity Items on the dog - name tag etc and an Air Tag should be mandatory which can locate the dog. This should be a lesson to all people who want to transport dogs. Thankfully this one had a safe and happy ending.

I am very pleased that the dog has been found safe. No thanks to the Company responsible for Milo's transport. Their employees should be properly trained and Rule No 1 should be that no dog is allowed out of the crate unless it is in a very secure escape proof location. You would think that common sense would dictate that - but apparently not!! And all owners should have Identity Items on the dog - name tag etc and an Air Tag should be mandatory which can locate the dog. This should be a lesson to all people who want to transport dogs. Thankfully this one had a safe and happy ending.
Have transported my three dogs and cat interstate on six separate occasions.never had a problem. They were always picked up at the door and dropped off at the door.
I think this was just a very unfortunate incident which the owner should accept some of the responsibility for not telling them that his little dog had a timid and nervous disposition and that he might bite.
We always advised them of any little idiosyncrasies out pets had, especially if they may bite.

I saw on the news yesterday that Milo has been found.
I can understand how distressed his owner would be.
It is unfortunate that the owner didn't warn them of the dogs timid nature.
Yes they should have been in an enclosed area, but we all make mistakes and the
company definitely did everything they possibly could to find Milo
All's well that ends well as they say.
I’m so glad to hear Milo has been found. I know for sure if my dog had gone missing I wouldn’t have got on that plane. The owner must have been beside himself.

Reactions: Liz
I am so glad Milo has been found, this is why I don't get pet sitters to come into my home for my cat. I would rather pay the money for her to stay at the vet or cattery who are experienced and keep her in her crate. I would be beside myself if I was in Milo's owner's position. Unfortunately, people do make mistakes and even at the vets there are chances for escape.

No trouble with my German Shepherd pup .l suppose if a dog bit you your reaction would be to let it go.Dogs that bite should have a muzzle on to protect the handlers or the handlers should wear thick gloves.No way would l have got on that plane and leave my dog they are like your babies and the poor thing must have been so scared. They should have given the guy another flight date after all as it's the airlines fault.

Why the hell was he not in a cage or room with the door closed to stop him getting out the pet company are idgits

Reactions: Caron
Milo was found after eighteen days, taken to a vet for a check over, and will join his family in UK soon.

Reactions: Caron