Cheese Pies

This recipe is THE recipe if I post that Ive made them on our family what's app all my kids will come home.
26836-Screenshot_20230807_111542_Gallery.jpg
A Little time consuming but really worth it

Ive had a cafe wanting me to make these for them.

Makes around 80 pies

Recipe can be halved but use the same ammount of yeast

I made these last week and took photos of the steps

CHEESE PIES

Recipe is by me
photos are by me.

Prep time around 40 min
cooking time around 20 minutes

Screenshot_20230807_111542_Gallery.jpg

INGREDIENTS

Cheese mixture

500g Australian feta cheese grated
500g ricotta cheese
1 small bunch of mint finely chopped
2 eggs

Dough Mixture

1 kg plain flour

375 g unsalted butter melted

1 Egg extra for glazing

1 small block of fresh yeast around the size of a 50c coin or bit bigger (availableat most continental deli's)

2 cups
of warm water.

METHOD

Cheese.

1. combine in a bowl grated feta, ricotta, eggs and mint and mix until completely combined.
Set aside.
Screenshot_20230807_110153_Gallery.jpg

Dough

1. In a jug add fresh yeast and 1/4 cup of the warm water , mix until yeast is mixed with water.

2. In a large bowl add flour, make a well and pour in melted butter , yeast mixture and remaining water . Mix together with your hands , then start kneading. Mixture will be sloppy but as you continue kneading it will magically form into a ball. Kneading takes about 10 minutes...it's a good workout.

Assembling

keep Dough covered with a clean tea towel, it's normal for it to rise as you a making them .
1. Take pieces of dough , size of a large walnut maybe slightly bigger . Knead slightly then roll with rolling pin to form some what of a circle ..see pictures.

2. Add a tablespoon of cheese mixture to centre of circle and fold over . Using a glass to cut and seal edges ..see picture.

3. place on oven trays lined with baking paper, spread out as they will rise in the oven, lightly brush with the extra egg and cook in preheated oven 180 C or 160 C fan-forced for around 25 minutes

4. remove from oven let cool on tray for 5 minutes then add to a large bowl that is lined with a clean tea towel and cover pies with a tea towel. This will stop them drying out and keep them soft.

Screenshot_20230807_110217_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230809_201450_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230807_110159_Gallery.jpg

Enjoy

Last edited:
Sponsored
This recipe is THE recipe if I post that Ive made them on our family what's app all my kids will come home.
View attachment 26982
A Little time consuming but really worth it

Ive had a cafe wanting me to make these for them.

Makes around 80 pies

Recipe can be halved but use the same ammount of yeast

I made these last week and took photos of the steps

CHEESE PIES

Recipe is by me
photos are by me.

Prep time around 40 min
cooking time around 20 minutes

Screenshot_20230807_111542_Gallery.jpg

INGREDIENTS

Cheese mixture

500g Australian feta cheese grated
500g ricotta cheese
1 small bunch of mint finely chopped
2 eggs

Dough Mixture

1 kg plain flour

375 g unsalted butter melted

1 Egg extra for glazing

1 small block of fresh yeast around the size of a 50c coin or bit bigger (availableat most continental deli's)

2 cups
of warm water.

METHOD

Cheese.

1. combine in a bowl grated feta, ricotta, eggs and mint and mix until completely combined.
Set aside.
Screenshot_20230807_110153_Gallery.jpg

Dough

1. In a jug add fresh yeast and 1/4 cup of the warm water , mix until yeast is mixed with water.

2. In a large bowl add flour, make a well and pour in melted butter , yeast mixture and remaining water . Mix together with your hands , then start kneading. Mixture will be sloppy but as you continue kneading it will magically form into a ball. Kneading takes about 10 minutes...it's a good workout.

Assembling

keep Dough covered with a clean tea towel, it's normal for it to rise as you a making them .
1. Take pieces of dough , size of a large walnut maybe slightly bigger . Knead slightly then roll with rolling pin to form some what of a circle ..see pictures.

2. Add a tablespoon of cheese mixture to centre of circle and fold over . Using a glass to cut and seal edges ..see picture.

3. place on oven trays lined with baking paper, spread out as they will rise in the oven, lightly brush with the extra egg and cook in preheated oven 180 C or 160 C fan-forced for around 25 minutes

4. remove from oven let cool on tray for 5 minutes then add to a large bowl that is lined with a clean tea towel and cover pies with a tea towel. This will stop them drying out and keep them soft.

View attachment 27079View attachment 27080View attachment 27081

Enjoy
Thank you so much - these sound so so good! I will definitely give these a go. I hope that 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast will be the perfect sub for the fresh block yeast. Thanks again.. yum yum

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Thank you so much - these sound so so good! I will definitely give these a go. I hope that 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast will be the perfect sub for the fresh block yeast. Thanks again.. yum yum
If you want to cheat a little you can use the same cheese mixture in filo pastry but I do prefer thus recipe I posted. 😋