Check your receipts, folks! Coles shopper shares the secret to scoring FREE groceries

How often do you scan through your supermarket receipts for any potential errors? Well, it turns out that the habit not only helps you get a good grasp of your expenses, but it can also help you score free grocery items – and we’re here to tell you why and how.

An Aussie mum detailed how she manages to score free items at the supermarket and it all boils down to keeping an eagle eye on your grocery receipts.

The shopper shared her little-known secret on Facebook after she bagged a tin of Milo and a roast chicken completely free of charge last week.

“Is everyone aware of the Code of Scanning Practice 1984 at supermarkets?” she asked.

“If the price on the shelf is lower than the price the item scans, you get it free. Check your receipts before leaving [the] shop. They have to refund [you] and give you [the] item.”

“I usually find two to three items every week!” she continued.

rpACFvJ8Ei6Hn8jYlIFk-6amoS7D7mGM3dk41ikTrftIETQH662H97bWsFw54tC4C2tFS6pMtv4RCN5PtxnyLn345b1ubkEiw0aobRmJksIcNOZHZIOBiOGxxfGwqdl616b9q50_jY31ojyo4dM

Make sure to check your receipts! Image Credit: VideoHive

Several supermarkets including Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, and some IGA’s are signed up to a voluntary code called the Scanning Code of Practice.

It was implemented after a group of consumers raised concerns about being potentially overcharged by bar code scanning, which in turn encourages retailers to improve their procedures to keep their prices accurate.

Under the policy, if an item scans higher than what the shelf price indicates, the customer is entitled to receive the first item for free. Any subsequent items (if you purchased several of the same items) will be charged at a lower price.

However, the code does not apply to tobacco, liquor, third-party gift cards, items without a barcode, and items that retail for over $50.

The policy is well detailed on Coles’ website as part of its ‘promise on price scanning'.

“If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticket shelf price for that item, we will give you that item free,” the supermarket giant said online.

The Aussie mum’s Facebook post has since amassed over 120 comments, with several users sharing the free items they have previously scored thanks to the policy.

“My hubby got a free pack of two pillows because they scanned wrong,” one woman wrote.

“I do this all the time,” another said. “I got a free box of Magnums the other week.”

“I got free stockings for an entire winter when I was a teenager doing this because they refused to update the sign,” a third claimed.

VOQ9eC-OZ0nNPkrKEBOrsExOxyyQYK5W4FLIliUKBGyvTLSw1mRjUZyG4mMuFkoKa_pMKUjzgiCBcoHDeP14SDBFJlQb6LRbz7d9cFXSAbKCF4StdYDbZ4S2TZ9h76XxRjmzc69vjDUgAG0e9Gs

Coles signed up for the voluntary code. Image Credit: Daily Mail

Others encouraged shoppers to stand up for themselves if the cashier refuses to honour the policy.

“A lot of the time they think people don’t know this, and they will try to just change it to the shelf price,” a user explained.

“At the service desk, they have a Code of Scanning Practice brochure,” added another. “ If they try to argue, I whip it out of my purse.”

“I never used to bother saying anything but I got sick of getting ripped off at every shop,” one more commented.

Choice also touched on the policy, urging shoppers to complain to a supervisor or store manager if a staff member fails to comply with the code.

“If the store does not comply with the code, a customer can take their complaint to the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520.” their website read.

Did you know about the Scanning Code of Practice prior to this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

You may read more about the Scanning Code of Practice and your consumer rights by clicking here.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I always check receipts and usually all prices are correct. Sometimes an item with a sticker "reduced for quick sale" scans at the old price and I get a refund of the difference. This is a rarity though as the scanner generally does a good job.

I know about this Scanning Code of Practice & often score free items from Woollies (in particular) as they often left expired special offer price tags on their shelves. So if you go on their price change day, & you know about their last week’s specials, you can often score freebies!

Reactions: Rozzie En and Liz
I have replied to you twice on this subject re ALDIs. I spoke with cashier, supervisor and store manager. They all refused to honour the system. They told me it was not Aldi policy contrary to your information.

I have replied to you twice on this subject re ALDIs. I spoke with cashier, supervisor and store manager. They all refused to honour the system. They told me it was not Aldi policy contrary to your information.
Hi 9509,
I haven't had the pleasure of catching Aldi out, yet!!! I thought the Scanning Code of Practice applied to all Supermarkets!
Maybe you should contact the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520 or read their website and see where you stand with Aldi and if the code, does apply to them!!
Have a nice day 🙂

Hi 9509,
I haven't had the pleasure of catching Aldi out, yet!!! I thought the Scanning Code of Practice applied to all Supermarkets!
Maybe you should contact the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520 or read their website and see where you stand with Aldi and if the code, does apply to them!!
Have a nice day 🙂

I always check my receipts but have found both Woolies and Coles will just give you back the difference, even when I have argued the point. Woolies used to give the whole amount back but not for several years.

Hi 9509,
Have a nice day 🙂

I have contacted that A N R A a number it says incorrect or deleted. I got on the web and looked for it tIt was A QLD no rang it 3 times twice it said incorrect then they answered but it was the N R A. Anyway I got onto Aldi.com.au and got a message to say wrong address after the message told that so after 3 hrs I gave up. I hope you follow it up

Hello, @9509 !

According to ALDI's website, "If a regular product scans at a price higher than that displayed, you are entitled to receive the first item free. All subsequent items will be charged at the lower price."

You may read more about this by clicking this link here: https://help.aldi.com.au/s/article/...t-have-been-incorrectly-scanned-Are-they-free

This confirms that they are indeed signatories to the Scanning Code of Practice along with Woolworths and Coles.

If the store refuses to comply with the policy, you may opt to contact the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520.

How often do you scan through your supermarket receipts for any potential errors? Well, it turns out that the habit not only helps you get a good grasp of your expenses, but it can also help you score free grocery items – and we’re here to tell you why and how.

An Aussie mum detailed how she manages to score free items at the supermarket and it all boils down to keeping an eagle eye on your grocery receipts.

The shopper shared her little-known secret on Facebook after she bagged a tin of Milo and a roast chicken completely free of charge last week.

“Is everyone aware of the Code of Scanning Practice 1984 at supermarkets?” she asked.

“If the price on the shelf is lower than the price the item scans, you get it free. Check your receipts before leaving [the] shop ladies. They have to refund [you] and give you [the] item.”

rpACFvJ8Ei6Hn8jYlIFk-6amoS7D7mGM3dk41ikTrftIETQH662H97bWsFw54tC4C2tFS6pMtv4RCN5PtxnyLn345b1ubkEiw0aobRmJksIcNOZHZIOBiOGxxfGwqdl616b9q50_jY31ojyo4dM

Several supermarkets including Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, and some IGA’s are signed up to a voluntary code called the Scanning Code of Practice.

It was implemented after a group of consumers raised concerns about being potentially overcharged by bar code scanning, which in turn encourages retailers to improve their procedures to keep their prices accurate.

Under the policy, if an item scans higher than what the shelf price indicates, the customer is entitled to receive the first item for free. Any subsequent items (if you purchased several of the same items) will be charged at a lower price.

However, the code does not apply to tobacco, liquor, third-party gift cards, items without a barcode, and items that retail for over $50.

The policy is well detailed on Coles’ website as part of its ‘promise on price scanning'.

“If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticket shelf price for that item, we will give you that item free,” the supermarket giant said online.

The Aussie mum’s Facebook post has since amassed over 120 comments, with several users sharing the free items they have previously scored thanks to the policy.

“My hubby got a free pack of two pillows because they scanned wrong,” one woman wrote.

“I do this all the time,” another said. “I got a free box of Magnums the other week.”

“I got free stockings for an entire winter when I was a teenager doing this because they refused to update the sign,” a third claimed.

VOQ9eC-OZ0nNPkrKEBOrsExOxyyQYK5W4FLIliUKBGyvTLSw1mRjUZyG4mMuFkoKa_pMKUjzgiCBcoHDeP14SDBFJlQb6LRbz7d9cFXSAbKCF4StdYDbZ4S2TZ9h76XxRjmzc69vjDUgAG0e9Gs

Others encouraged shoppers to stand up for themselves if the cashier refuses to honour the policy.

“A lot of the time they think people don’t know this, and they will try to just change it to the shelf price,” a user explained.

“At the service desk, they have a Code of Scanning Practice brochure,” added another. “ If they try to argue, I whip it out of my purse.”

“I never used to bother saying anything but I got sick of getting ripped off at every shop,” one more commented.

Choice also touched on the policy, urging shoppers to complain to a supervisor or store manager if a staff member fails to comply with the code.

“If the store does not comply with the code, a customer can take their complaint to the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520.” their website read.

Did you know about the Scanning Code of Practice prior to this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

You may read more about the Scanning Code of Practice and your consumer rights by clicking here.
I've had Coles honour this policy but never Woolies. I'll take it further if it happens again at Woolies. I wasn't sure until now if it differed at various shops. Like to get my hands on a brochure about it though. I'm not aware if Woolies offer "rain checks" as Coles do either.

“If the price on the shelf is lower than the price the item scans, you get it free. Check your receipts before leaving [the] shop ladies. They have to refund [you] and give you [the] item.”

This is taken from the Choice website. Looks to me like a case of having to read the fine print as when it says Woolies, Coles etc have signed up to the policy it may not be every individual store, they will have signage if they go by the policy. I believe the signage may be at the smoke counter.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 5

Kmart does not follow this rule. I brought a blouse ticket price $12 reduced from $15 at the checkout it was $15:. I called the lady to check it. I asked her is it for free, because the ticket price diffrent to the original price. She told me no its not like that in Kmart only Coles and Target do that maybe Bunnings.

I never use to read my dockets, but a lady who was working at the store said make sure you check your receipt before you get home. So I do all the time now and I have gotten freebies everynowagain. But it saves time and money if you check your receipts.

Last edited: