Chaos at Coles as shoppers go wild over new store opening

Few can tolerate standing in a queue in anticipation of an exclusive deal or product launch.

But this week, hundreds of frenzied shoppers stood in line as they waited for the grand opening of Coles’ new branch at Highpoint in Melbourne.

Images taken at the shopping centre showed a huge turnout of people waiting by the supermarket’s doors – all anticipating the opening of the first-ever Coles at Highpoint last Friday.

It was reported that eager customers queued as early as 6 am because of the supermarket’s promotion: Coles had announced that the first 100 customers would receive a ‘free Christmas gift bag’, which was filled with boxes of chocolate and fruit mince pies.

coles1.jpg
Hundreds lined up for the store’s grand opening. Credit: Facebook

When 9 am rolled around, the crowd allegedly erupted into a stampede as people tried to burst through the store’s doors the moment they opened. Many were left stuck in line even after the goodie bags were snapped up.

This led to angry shoppers venting their frustrations online because they felt crowd control was ‘non-existent’ at the time.

‘The opening of your new Highpoint store was disgusting! So many lovely customers were lined up orderly for hours and when the time came to walk in – it was a massive push around,’ someone wrote.

Another said that people arrived at 7 am and were in line as directed, with only 20 customers in front of them and still missed out on the promotional goodie bag.

‘The allowed stampede was an absolute disgrace,’ shared another.

coles2.jpg
Many flocked to the entrance as soon as the gates opened. Credit: Facebook

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters at the time that they were ‘overwhelmed’ by the shopper’s response to the new store’s opening, but reiterated that the giveaway helped ‘spread the Christmas cheer’.

Despite the chaos, Coles hailed their grand opening a ‘huge success. Many also praised the look of the new Coles store, calling it ‘large and spacious’.

‘We are pleased to hear customers are enjoying the brand-new Coles Highpoint after its highly-anticipated opening. The new store has provided an employment boost for the local area just in time for the busy Christmas rush – creating 130 new jobs,’ said the spokesperson.

The new store is a ‘state-of-the-art’ supermarket, and has a frozen dessert bar complete with mochi and macarons, a ‘squeeze-your-own orange juice’ machine, a ‘scoop and weigh’ pet treat bar, and an open-front bakery with fresh flatbread, sourdough, patisseries, and celebration cakes, as well as a selection of Coles ready-made meals.

Key Takeaways

• Hundreds of shoppers turned up to the grand opening of the Coles supermarket at Highpoint in Melbourne on Friday.
  • The large turnout was revealed to be due to a promotion where the first 100 Coles customers received a free Christmas gift bag of goodies.
  • Despite the retailer's positive outlook, many customers were unhappy with the chaotic scenes and lack of crowd control.
  • Other customers praised the new store because of its spacious interior and the range of new features.
Are you a fan of Coles’ latest store? Did you manage to snag a goodie bag? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I stay away from grand openings like this because of this exact reason.

Did coles even have these goody bags if person no 21 missed out on it.

We received an email for a big members sale tomorrow at flower power and hubby said let's go , we can go as soon as it opens.
He wants to buy indoor plants that work as air purifiers.
Normally I would say 'go by yourself ' but I'm scared with what he will come home with 🤔

Few can tolerate standing in a queue in anticipation of an exclusive deal or product launch.

But this week, hundreds of frenzied shoppers stood in line as they waited for the grand opening of Coles’ new branch at Highpoint in Melbourne.

Images taken at the shopping centre showed a huge turnout of people waiting by the supermarket’s doors – all anticipating the opening of the first-ever Coles at Highpoint last Friday.

It was reported that eager customers queued as early as 6 am because of the supermarket’s promotion: Coles had announced that the first 100 customers would receive a ‘free Christmas gift bag’, which was filled with boxes of chocolate and fruit mince pies.

View attachment 10735
Hundreds lined up for the store’s grand opening. Credit: Facebook

When 9 am rolled around, the crowd allegedly erupted into a stampede as people tried to burst through the store’s doors the moment they opened. Many were left stuck in line even after the goodie bags were snapped up.

This led to angry shoppers venting their frustrations online because they felt crowd control was ‘non-existent’ at the time.

‘The opening of your new Highpoint store was disgusting! So many lovely customers were lined up orderly for hours and when the time came to walk in – it was a massive push around,’ someone wrote.

Another said that people arrived at 7 am and were in line as directed, with only 20 customers in front of them and still missed out on the promotional goodie bag.

‘The allowed stampede was an absolute disgrace,’ shared another.

View attachment 10736
Many flocked to the entrance as soon as the gates opened. Credit: Facebook

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters at the time that they were ‘overwhelmed’ by the shopper’s response to the new store’s opening, but reiterated that the giveaway helped ‘spread the Christmas cheer’.

Despite the chaos, Coles hailed their grand opening a ‘huge success. Many also praised the look of the new Coles store, calling it ‘large and spacious’.

‘We are pleased to hear customers are enjoying the brand-new Coles Highpoint after its highly-anticipated opening. The new store has provided an employment boost for the local area just in time for the busy Christmas rush – creating 130 new jobs,’ said the spokesperson.

The new store is a ‘state-of-the-art’ supermarket, and has a frozen dessert bar complete with mochi and macarons, a ‘squeeze-your-own orange juice’ machine, a ‘scoop and weigh’ pet treat bar, and an open-front bakery with fresh flatbread, sourdough, patisseries, and celebration cakes, as well as a selection of Coles ready-made meals.

Key Takeaways

• Hundreds of shoppers turned up to the grand opening of the Coles supermarket at Highpoint in Melbourne on Friday.
  • The large turnout was revealed to be due to a promotion where the first 100 Coles customers received a free Christmas gift bag of goodies.
  • Despite the retailer's positive outlook, many customers were unhappy with the chaotic scenes and lack of crowd control.
  • Other customers praised the new store because of its spacious interior and the range of new features.
Are you a fan of Coles’ latest store? Did you manage to snag a goodie bag? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Stampede for a goodie bag, for goodness sake. I know times are hard but is it worth someone possibly getting hurt in the rush!! You make enough money Coles, why not give each Customer that comes through within the first 2 hours, a smaller goodie bag. No stampede then.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
A few years ago, I lined up early outside Aldi on a Saturday morning to get a Phillips TV.
I'd tried the Aldi Bauhn brand 5 times, all of them were faulty.
So, here I was, first in line, ever hopeful.
When the doors opened, the stampede went over the top of me, pushed me aside on my 2 elbow crutches, and I missed "my" TV.
Consequently, I still don't have a TV.
And Aldi hasn't had the Philips TVs again.
They've had Bauhn ones at a price I could afford, but I'm not trying them again.
Crowds.....beware!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci