Channel Nine journalist loses $1200 to tricky concert scam: 'I felt sick to the stomach'

The world of online ticket sales can be a minefield, and even the most savvy among us can fall prey to scams.

Case in point, a Channel Nine journalist and presenter recently found herself $1200 out of pocket after falling for a fake ticket scam for Taylor Swift's highly anticipated The Eras Tour.

Deborah Knight was simply trying to secure the perfect gift for her daughter.

'A really good friend, who I’ve known all my life, contacted me and said, “Do you still want Taylor Swift tickets?”' Deborah recalled.

'It was my daughter’s eighth birthday, and getting my hands on these tickets would be the best present ever.'

'My friend put me in contact with her friend who had the tickets—or so I thought.'

SDC 11.png
Deborah Knight was scammed out of $1200 for a ticket to Taylor Swift’s highly anticipated The Eras Tour. Image source: Instagram/@deborah_knight.

The friend's cousin was reportedly selling tickets, and Knight jumped at the opportunity.

However, unbeknownst to both Knight and her friend, the friend's Facebook account had been hacked.

The 'cousin' selling the tickets was, in fact, a scammer.

Knight agreed to pay half the ticket cost upfront, with the rest to be paid upon receipt of the tickets.

The tickets she received looked 'unbelievably legitimate,' she said. But there was a crucial difference.

'The difference is a genuine Taylor Swift ticket in an Apple Wallet right now does not have that barcode,' Tech Expert Trevor Long explained.

By the time the scammer claimed the payment hadn't come through, it was too late.

Despite contacting her bank immediately, Knight was left $1200 short and without any Taylor Swift tickets.

'I realised I'd been scammed. I felt sick to the stomach, absolutely humiliated. I also felt embarrassed and ashamed,' Knight confessed.

'I was reluctant to speak publicly about this, but I think we’ve got to.'

Knight decided to speak out to help normalise the conversation around scams and reduce the stigma victims often feel.

'It happens to everyone, even Deb Knight—it's disgusting, what's happening, so something needs to be done,' she said.

The Eras Tour, which will see Swift perform three concerts in Melbourne from February 16 to 18, and four in Sydney from February 23 to 26, has been a hotbed for ticketing scams.

Victoria Police reported over 250 instances of ticketing scams for the tour since tickets went on sale in June last year.

Authorities urged fans to only purchase tickets from authorised sellers such as the Ticketek marketplace.

If you're considering buying tickets from friends on social media, it's advised to contact the friend independently of social media to verify the sale and ensure their account hasn't been compromised.
Key Takeaways
  • Channel Nine Journalist and Presenter Deborah Knight was tricked into paying $1200 for counterfeit Taylor Swift tickets.
  • A friend's Facebook account, unbeknownst to them, had been hacked and used to facilitate the scam.
  • Technology experts warn that genuine tickets in Apple Wallet do not have a barcode, which was a key indicator of the scam.
  • Victoria Police have reported over 250 cases of ticket scams related to the Eras Tour, and they advise purchasing tickets only from authorised sellers and verifying ticket offers with friends outside of social media to prevent being hacked.
Have you, or anyone you know, ever been a victim of a ticket scam? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Once again sympathy whatsoever!
Only way to make sure you’re not scammed is to buy the tickets through the correct source.
If you don’t then you deserve to be scammed!

Reactions: Jennie
Anone supporting US Psyop Taylor Swift are supporting the Satanists currently running the World, Her Mother ran a Satanic Church these Entertainers are all part of whorshipping LUCIFER BAAL MOLOCK trafficking young Children , Pedophilia,Adrenachrome harvesting of young Children, stop giving them your Money

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
The price you pay for wanting to see a talentless American hack.

Next stop....TAYLOR FOR PRESIDENT!!
I'm not a fan of Tay Tay but she must have something going for her if she can $1200 for a ticket, good on her. She has sold out concerts and people are paying top dollar to see her (the parents are paying for their kids to go). I would like to see my mother shelling out that much for a ticket for me when I was under 10, no way. That is price gouging to the max!

Quote:'I was reluctant to speak publicly about this, but I think we’ve got to.' Unquote

Deborah Knight, reluctant to speak? Pull the other one!
This one comes from the ACA "Quick! We need a filler because Legal have killed our main story" file.

I must be so out of touch; I don't know how many tickets she bought, but $1200 for a show? Way beyond my league.......
For $1200, I'd want more than a show. I'd want it videoed so I could sell it to the highest bidder, ala Pamela Anderson style. Get more than my money back!!

Anyway, I could pick up something better looking than Taylor Swift in the carpark of Dandenong Plaza! For free!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: DLHM and Nichola
My friends cousin is selling tickets. Ding Dong, alarm bell is ringing scam. Why would you but ticket from your friends cousin. Where did they get these tickets in the first place.
Scam alert !!!!!!

Reactions: Nichola
Anone supporting US Psyop Taylor Swift are supporting the Satanists currently running the World, Her Mother ran a Satanic Church these Entertainers are all part of whorshipping LUCIFER BAAL MOLOCK trafficking young Children , Pedophilia,Adrenachrome harvesting of young Children, stop giving them your Money
Whatever you are smoking, it should be outlawed in the known universe. I have NEVER read such a conspiratorial piece of hogwash in my time on SDC!

And I can't stand Taylor Swallow....

• Haha
Reactions: Nichola
For $1200, I'd want more than a show. I'd want it videoed so I could sell it to the highest bidder, ala Pamela Anderson style. Get more than my money back!!

Anyway, I could pick up something better looking than Taylor Swift in the carpark of Dandenong Plaza! For free!
Frankston, surely Veggie! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Holy cow...... spending $1,200 on an eight-year-old...... they deserve to be scammed....

Time to watch the Icelandic news. Hopefully they haven't heard of Taylor Swift or Superbore.

I'm sick of this head on a stick Swift commanding the media airwaves at the expense of other news. She wouldn't be fit to clean P!nk's toenails after she trod in dog shit barefooted.

I couldn't name OR recognize a "Tay-Tay" song. And proud of it!