Changes to driving standards sparks backlash

A new change to the driving fitness standards may potentially fine thousands of drivers more than $9000.

The 2022 Assessing Fitness to Drive standards, a collaboration between Austroads and other groups, includes autism for the first time as a condition requiring an individual assessment–leaving many, like Aussie mum Emily Geraghty, confused and worried.

Geraghty, a 27-year-old mum-of-two who was recently diagnosed with autism, delivered her two cents’ worth to this policy change.

The guidelines state that the ‘overarching requirement’ for persons with certain conditions, which now includes autism, ‘is that a person with a condition that may impair safe driving will need to report and be assessed’.

Unfortunately, the new rules vary from state or territory, leaving Geraghty and others like her in limbo.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 122445.png
Emily Geraghty, a mum with autism, expressed sentiment on new driving laws. Image: TikTok / @emilygeraghty96

In response, Geraghty, who comes from a 'neurodivergent family', ripped into the new changes–adding some of her 'favourite' attempts to explain it.

'I think my favourite reason that they gave for this (change) was autistic people not being able to pick up on the facial cues of other drivers,' she said.

'What?! Who’s facial cues are we picking up when we’re driving? John at the lights next to me having a good dig at his nose?’

Geraghty understood one of the other reasons given for the change–sometimes autism can result in 'meltdowns'. She pointed out a flaw in that; for most autistic people, her included, routines are held in utmost regard no matter changing circumstances. To illustrate her point, she zeroed in on driving habits.

‘I’m telling you, there’d be most of us–including me–we take the same route to places all day everyday. Doesn’t matter if there’s going to be traffic and there’s a shortcut, we’re not doing it. We’re taking the same route because that’s the route we flipping know,' she said.

‘Because, news flash, guess what? Autism comes with this little thing, it’s called cognitive rigidity, so we’re really black and white about following rules. Including road rules.’

'It’s a disability where we’ve got, you know, things with repetitive behaviours,' she added.

Geraghty also pointed out another factor the policy change fails to consider, especially in cases like hers where adults are diagnosed late.

'Like, does the government not realise that for late diagnosed people, we were autistic when we sat the original test,’ she added.

'If I can sit and do a test with a woman literally perceiving me for 35, 40 minutes while I’m taking a test and not have a meltdown, babe we’ll (autistic people will) be right.'

Screenshot 2023-11-27 124626.png
Geraghty blasted the justification for the new driving law against autistic people. Image: TikTok / @emilygeraghty96

As a driver with autism, Geraghty, who is still waiting to hear back from authorities on how she should proceed, is ready to fight for her right to drive–and for others in similar situations.

While most jurisdictions require drivers with a long-term health condition or disability to report it or face a hefty fine that can cost up to $9,288 and cancellation of licence, reports state that vast knowledge gaps still exist when it comes to studies on how autism affects driving.

Occupational therapy driver assessor can perform an on-road assessment that costs around $1,500, but in cases of failure, subsequent ‘driving rehab’ lessons cost between $130-$150 each.

You can watch Geraghty’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • The 2022 Assessing Fitness to Drive standards have, for the first time, listed autism as a condition that should be individually assessed.
  • The guidelines differ in interpretation across states and territories, causing confusion and potentially hefty fines for drivers diagnosed with autism.
  • Emily Geraghty, mum and driver with autism, criticised the changes, claiming her autism does not affect her ability to drive safely.
  • Most jurisdictions require drivers to report long-term conditions, potentially resulting in fines of up to $9,288, cancellation of licences, and additional costs for assessments and lessons.

What do you think of this story? Do you think it’s unfair to people with autism? Share with us your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I agree with standards being put in place to make sure the driver, and other drivers, are safe on the roads.
What I categorically do not agree with is making someone pay so much for something that is so easily gained by booze guzzling, substance abusing, manic, so called normal people.
$1500 for a driving assessment is outrageous. The system manages, yet again, to step all over people who have no control over their situation.
Autism has many and varied levels. If you have an autistic friend or relative you will know what I mean.
The treatment of these innocent folk is outright discrimination.

I’ve had to get a doctor’s assessment for years now because of health issues and I just do it. I don’t even think about it. I can understand this young woman’s frustration though because what she says is true. I honestly don’t see why my condition needs a certificate saying that I’m ok to drive. If there was any possibility of there being a problem I would be in bed and unable to drive anyway! It’s all just bureaucracy gone mad. At my age I just accept the madness and get on with living.

A new change to the driving fitness standards may potentially fine thousands of drivers more than $9000.

The 2022 Assessing Fitness to Drive standards, a collaboration between Austroads and other groups, includes autism for the first time as a condition requiring an individual assessment–leaving many, like Aussie mum Emily Geraghty, confused and worried.

Geraghty, a 27-year-old mum-of-two who was recently diagnosed with autism, delivered her two cents’ worth to this policy change.

The guidelines state that the ‘overarching requirement’ for persons with certain conditions, which now includes autism, ‘is that a person with a condition that may impair safe driving will need to report and be assessed’.

Unfortunately, the new rules vary from state or territory, leaving Geraghty and others like her in limbo.

View attachment 35876
Emily Geraghty, a mum with autism, expressed sentiment on new driving laws. Image: TikTok / @emilygeraghty96

In response, Geraghty, who comes from a 'neurodivergent family', ripped into the new changes–adding some of her 'favourite' attempts to explain it.

'I think my favourite reason that they gave for this (change) was autistic people not being able to pick up on the facial cues of other drivers,' she said.

'What?! Who’s facial cues are we picking up when we’re driving? John at the lights next to me having a good dig at his nose?’

Geraghty understood one of the other reasons given for the change–sometimes autism can result in 'meltdowns'. She pointed out a flaw in that; for most autistic people, her included, routines are held in utmost regard no matter changing circumstances. To illustrate her point, she zeroed in on driving habits.

‘I’m telling you, there’d be most of us–including me–we take the same route to places all day everyday. Doesn’t matter if there’s going to be traffic and there’s a shortcut, we’re not doing it. We’re taking the same route because that’s the route we flipping know,' she said.

‘Because, news flash, guess what? Autism comes with this little thing, it’s called cognitive rigidity, so we’re really black and white about following rules. Including road rules.’

'It’s a disability where we’ve got, you know, things with repetitive behaviours,' she added.

Geraghty also pointed out another factor the policy change fails to consider, especially in cases like hers where adults are diagnosed late.

'Like, does the government not realise that for late diagnosed people, we were autistic when we sat the original test,’ she added.

'If I can sit and do a test with a woman literally perceiving me for 35, 40 minutes while I’m taking a test and not have a meltdown, babe we’ll (autistic people will) be right.'

View attachment 35877
Geraghty blasted the justification for the new driving law against autistic people. Image: TikTok / @emilygeraghty96

As a driver with autism, Geraghty, who is still waiting to hear back from authorities on how she should proceed, is ready to fight for her right to drive–and for others in similar situations.

While most jurisdictions require drivers with a long-term health condition or disability to report it or face a hefty fine that can cost up to $9,288 and cancellation of licence, reports state that vast knowledge gaps still exist when it comes to studies on how autism affects driving.

Occupational therapy driver assessor can perform an on-road assessment that costs around $1,500, but in cases of failure, subsequent ‘driving rehab’ lessons cost between $130-$150 each.

You can watch Geraghty’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• The 2022 Assessing Fitness to Drive standards have, for the first time, listed autism as a condition that should be individually assessed.
  • The guidelines differ in interpretation across states and territories, causing confusion and potentially hefty fines for drivers diagnosed with autism.
  • Emily Geraghty, mum and driver with autism, criticised the changes, claiming her autism does not affect her ability to drive safely.
  • Most jurisdictions require drivers to report long-term conditions, potentially resulting in fines of up to $9,288, cancellation of licences, and additional costs for assessments and lessons.

What do you think of this story? Do you think it’s unfair to people with autism? Share with us your thoughts in the comments below!

Just goes to show the rule makers know almost nothing about autism!!

Every year I have to have the doctor fill out a form letting the registration office know what my health conditions are, they don't change, they are issues I have dealt with for a very long time. However these forms are filled out and sent back in and as long as the doctor fills them in correctly and you are sensible and honest regarding your health issues or disabilities then you just get on with driving as normal. As for the young lady who has autism, I know and have worked with young people who have autism and they do find things very difficult to handle when it comes to change, having said that if this young lady was driving along and suddenly everyone had to detour down a side street due to an accident, burst water pipe or something that means you can not go in the direction you want to go would she be able to adapt quickly to the situation. What would she do in this instance? I am not saying she doesn't have the right to drive, what I am saying is by saying and I quote ‘I’m telling you, there’d be most of us–including me–we take the same route to places all day everyday. Doesn’t matter if there’s going to be traffic and there’s a shortcut, we’re not doing it. We’re taking the same route because that’s the route we flipping know,' could mean she could cause an accident because she isn't willing to follow the signs when needed. So how is that and I use part of her quote again ' we’re really black and white about following rules. Including road rules.’
If you are going to stand up for your rights and you definitely have a right to do that, you also have to realise that you also have to be aware that you are not the only driver on the road and at any time something could happen because there are many people who are not the least bit interested in "following the rules" I am also aware that Geraghty is protesting about the amount of money those with Autism would have to spend to prove that despite being able to drive before being diagnosised with Autism and the lack of acceptance she now receives there wasn't any problems with driving before. I say good luck to Geraghty but I also caution her to realise there are always changes happening when you are driving even short distances.

Who should pay the $1500 for professional assessments for driving fitness in these cases? It certainly is a sliding scale. However, autism accounts for 213,800 (approx 35%) of NDIS participants currently getting, on average, $32,800 pa each. NDIS funding for support services for autism costs taxpayers $7,002,800,000 pa. (rough figures - give or take).

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Well this is of extreme interest to me, having worked with ASD, Asperger's, autistic or whatever today's new term persons for about 20 years, this girl have more than a valid point. Better than the usual "head on a stick" Tik Tok attention seeker.

I have had work colleagues with autism, epilepsy, cerebral palsy and so on, all with full licences. Epilepsy is a tricky one. The girl I knew had to be seizure free after her last seizure before getting her licence back. But she only had ONE instance of a seizure in her life. The day she came to work driving her own car was like all her Christmases had come at once...and more!

Just get all the drug f**ked clowns off the road first!

"Better than the usual "head on a stick" Tik Tok attention seeker. Ya think? Why, because she doesn't have any visible tattoos?

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Absolutely, many excel in fact at lots of different things. Probably due to early diagnosis, understanding and acceptance, and support services available now and also dependent upon where they are on the "scale". I fully support early detection and support strategies for the best outcomes. I am also supportive of identifying any deficits in relation to driving fitness for everyone. Not all are diagnosed and can have unpredictable reactions under certain circumstances - that is undeniable. Anyone being in charge of a 2-ton vehicle should meet strict criteria. Safety can never be understated. These days, parents, teachers and doctors look out for flags. I did not recognise it in my son, he did not display "classic" tell tales, nor did his teachers or GPs. As a result, he missed out on early support and understanding. Understanding and acceptance is everything and the condition does not present in the same ways for everyone. It was and still is, for many, misinterpreted as undisciplined child/bad parenting, but we have come a long way in the last 25 years. Controlling ADHD or Autism or any under the large umbrella is ridiculous and naive. It attracts less judgment when the condition is identified and understood - people can then have empathy and understanding. My son, however, will never be capable of driving a car and should never drive. I know many low functioning and many high functioning and vast in-betweens. I know many who have only been diagnosed in their 30s and 40s be it autism or ADHD. One cannot assume some neurodivergent people are exempt from “drug and/or drunk” drivers - how many do you think are driving around today that never had the opportunity to be diagnosed, understood and supported. I am being objective not subjective. The example of the two females in the respective video clips - different situations, however both display similar thinking yet one is judged as a piece of crap and the other respectable and credible...based on what?