Change to essential Coles offering is under fire: 'Very poorly designed'

Changes are part and parcel of the Aussie consumer experience.

Every once in a while, something comes along that has many people thinking about how advancements truly serve to make our lives better.

And then there are the ones that leave customers shaking their heads in dismay.

Supermarket giant Coles is in trouble with their shoppers because of a big change the supermarket chain recently made to a service offered in their stores across Australia.

Sharing on social media, disgruntled shoppers have spoken out about the grocery store's introduction of the so-called 'Sustainability Baskets'.

These handy hand baskets are very different from the traditional baskets we're used to seeing in the store.

Unlike the usual plastic baskets that Coles uses, these special ones are made in Australia from 100% recycled plastic as part of the retailer’s push towards sustainability.

30d27ddab9ff32ab8e776163db55b490a857078f-4x3-x130y0w2120h1590.png
Coles’ new Sustainability Baskets have some shoppers displeased over its design. Image Credit: Coles

But while it's great to hear that Coles is doing its part to promote a greener and more sustainable way of life, some shoppers have taken issue with the design of the baskets — it appears they’re too large!

Outraged customers have said that the baskets are many times bigger than the existing versions, making it 'very difficult' and even 'impossible' to carry.

It's not just the size that's the problem. Apparently, the new baskets also feature just one large handle, instead of two smaller ones.

‘It was good to see that the baskets are now made from a percentage of recycled bottles. Unfortunately, the baskets are larger and very difficult to carry,’ one customer said.

Another customer was so irked that she posted a message to Coles on Facebook.

‘Just dropping by to say I hate — and that’s a word I don’t often use — your new red baskets,’ she said.

‘Seriously, just one handle on them? I have to hold it over my arm as a lot of people do, I can’t hold the basket with my hands and fingers due to osteoarthritis.’

‘Everything in them due to gravity goes to one end, because of that, it’s impossible to carry and the basket leans out further than close to me…’

‘As you are going around the aisles one has to be careful not to knock into anyone or disturb the end displays, I really think a man must’ve designed the new baskets.’

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 1.20.38 PM.png
It is unclear if Coles has plans to phase out its old basket designs. Image Credit: Instagram/@recipe_tin

‘What the h*** have you done with the baskets?’, another irate shopper told Coles. ‘The new design is just awful. Did you have anyone in the team look at ergonomics?’

‘They’re awful to carry, large, clunky, and now the widest part sticks out from your body as you carry it causing issues manoeuvring around the store.’

‘WTF were the design team thinking?! Smaller people are going to have great difficulty carrying them. Very poorly designed.’

Meanwhile, other shoppers were unmoved by the complaints.

‘So use a trolley,’ one said in response.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket is facing criticism from customers over its new 'Sustainability Baskets'.
  • Critics claim the new baskets are larger than the existing versions, and feature just one large handle.
  • Customers have complained that the single handle makes the new baskets 'very difficult' and 'impossible' for them to carry.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the new baskets have undergone stringent testing and have been 'largely well received'.
  • Nonetheless, the retailer has also indicated it's taking note of feedback on their new baskets.
Coles caught wind of the negative feedback on their new baskets and assured shoppers that they were tested before release.

‘The baskets have undergone rigorous testing and have been largely well received, with some customers describing them as a stronger and more durable option,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Our Sustainability Baskets are an example of our Together to Zero waste ambitions and proof we are committed to working with industry partners to find sustainable solutions and move towards a circular economy.’

‘Our Sustainability Baskets are Australian-made from 100% recycled milk bottles, saving the equivalent of eighteen 2L milk bottles from landfill for each basket made.’

In a separate response, Coles also said they’re taking note of feedback on their Sustainability Baskets.

pasted image 0.png
Woolworths was also criticised last year when one shopper noticed their local store wasn’t cleaning their baskets properly. Image Credit: Twitter

Hopefully, some tweaks are made especially for our seniors who may find the new design hard to use!

On a related note, this isn’t the first time a supermarket has come under fire for in-store services.

Just months ago Woolies was criticised by one shopper whose local branch had been lacking in the hygiene department.

In images they uploaded on social media, the baskets they came across were smeared with some sort of reddish-brown residue and looked like they hadn’t seen a proper wipe in a long time.

For their part Woolies took note of the shopper’s nasty discovery and said they would investigate the matter.

If you have time, you might want to find out why one famous Aussie chef was in stitches after an incident also involving Coles’ shopping baskets.

You could also find out what the real purpose of those odd hooks on the backs of shopping carts is. Clue: it’s not for a roast chook!

So, what are your thoughts on Coles’ new Sustainability Baskets? Have you had the chance to try them out? How would you compare it to their old baskets?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Sponsored
Your dammed if you don't and dammed if you do.

Personally I hated the 2 handles and wished it was one.

It might be bigger but I'm guessing it's no heavier and for those whingeing you only have to put as much in it as you want, put the same amount as you would in the smaller version.
There is always the smaller size trolley that you just have to push.

There is far more worst things to whinge or worry about in life.

At least the supermarkets supply choices for us to use

Every once in a while, something comes along that has many people thinking about how advancements truly serve to make our lives better.

Supermarket giant Coles is in trouble with their shoppers because of a big change the supermarket chain recently made to a service offered in their stores across Australia.

Sharing on social media, disgruntled shoppers have spoken out about the grocery store's introduction of the so-called 'Sustainability Baskets'.

These handy hand baskets are very different from the traditional baskets we're used to seeing in the store.

Unlike the usual plastic baskets that Coles uses, these special ones are made in Australia from 100% recycled plastic as part of the retailer’s push towards sustainability.

View attachment 12687
Coles’ new Sustainability Baskets have some shoppers displeased over its design. Image Credit: Coles

But while it's great to hear that Coles is doing its part to promote a greener and more sustainable way of life, some shoppers have taken issue with the design of the baskets — it appears they’re too large!

Outraged customers have said that the baskets are many times bigger than the existing versions, making it 'very difficult' and even 'impossible' to carry.

It's not just the size that's the problem. Apparently, the new baskets also feature just one large handle, instead of two smaller ones.

‘It was good to see that the baskets are now made from a percentage of recycled bottles. Unfortunately, the baskets are larger and very difficult to carry,’ one customer said.

‘Just dropping by to say I hate — and that’s a word I don’t often use — your new red baskets,’ she said.

‘Seriously, just one handle on them? I have to hold it over my arm as a lot of people do, I can’t hold the basket with my hands and fingers due to osteoarthritis.’

‘Everything in them due to gravity goes to one end, because of that, it’s impossible to carry and the basket leans out further than close to me…’

‘As you are going around the aisles one has to be careful not to knock into anyone or disturb the end displays, I really think a man must’ve designed the new baskets.’

View attachment 12689
It is unclear if Coles has plans to phase out its old basket designs. Image Credit: Instagram/@recipe_tin

‘What the h*** have you done with the baskets?’, another irate shopper told Coles. ‘The new design is just awful. Did you have anyone in the team look at ergonomics?’

‘They’re awful to carry, large, clunky, and now the widest part sticks out from your body as you carry it causing issues manoeuvring around the store.’

‘WTF were the design team thinking?! Smaller people are going to have great difficulty carrying them. Very poorly designed.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket is facing criticism from customers over its new 'Sustainability Baskets'.
  • Critics claim the new baskets are larger than the existing versions, and feature just one large handle.
  • Customers have complained that the single handle makes the new baskets 'very difficult' and 'impossible' for them to carry.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the new baskets have undergone stringent testing and have been 'largely well received'.
  • Nonetheless, the retailer has also indicated it's taking note of feedback on their new baskets.
Coles caught wind of the negative feedback on their new baskets and assured shoppers that they were tested before release.

‘The baskets have undergone rigorous testing and have been largely well received, with some customers describing them as a stronger and more durable option,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Our Sustainability Baskets are an example of our Together to Zero waste ambitions and proof we are committed to working with industry partners to find sustainable solutions and move towards a circular economy.’

‘Our Sustainability Baskets are Australian-made from 100% recycled milk bottles, saving the equivalent of eighteen 2L milk bottles from landfill for each basket made.’

In a separate response, Coles also said they’re taking note of feedback on their Sustainability Baskets.

View attachment 12688
Woolworths was also criticised last year when one shopper noticed their local store wasn’t cleaning their baskets properly. Image Credit: Twitter

Hopefully, some tweaks are made especially for our seniors who may find the new design hard to use!

On a related note, this isn’t the first time a supermarket has come under fire for in-store services.

Just months ago Woolies was criticised by one shopper whose local branch had been lacking in the hygiene department.

In images they uploaded on social media, the baskets they came across were smeared with some sort of reddish-brown residue and looked like they hadn’t seen a proper wipe in a long time.

For their part Woolies took note of the shopper’s nasty discovery and said they would investigate the matter.

If you have time, you might want to find out why one famous Aussie chef was in stitches after an incident also involving Coles’ shopping baskets.

You could also find out what the real purpose of those odd hooks on the backs of shopping carts is. Clue: it’s not for a roast chook!

So, what are your thoughts on Coles’ new Sustainability Baskets? Have you had the chance to try them out? How would you compare it to their old baskets?

these types of baskets have been used in many other shops around Australia over the years - I for one don't care what they look like as long as they are Australian made and made out of recycled materials

View attachment 12687

View attachment 12689

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12688

The new baskets are hard to balance the contents with just one handle also making it difficult to carry

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 12687

View attachment 12689

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12688

Use a smaller troller.

Here's a thought

Why cant the basket have 2 or 4 little wheels & a lift up extendable handle so the basket can be pushed/dragged around then left at the checkout just like we do with the mini baskets now.

• Love
Reactions: Bunyip57
I think it is about time we adopted the Chinese way of using trolleys. That is a bare metal frame that you add 1 or two baskets. I know that this works well from my time in China where everybody seems to buy every day for the freshest food possible. In our shopping centre, we have Coles, Woolies & Aldi & also a Korean groceries that uses this type of trolley. I would use this type of trolley to stop me from filling up a normal trolley." Light bulb moment" That is why our regular stores have these large trolleys so you can spend past your limit!

Here's a thought

Why cant the basket have 2 or 4 little wheels & a lift up extendable handle so the basket can be pushed/dragged around then left at the checkout just like we do with the mini baskets now.
I doubt you could design this, and keep manufactoring simple, and keep the stackable function.

Here's a thought

They already exist! My WW has a deeper trolley on wheels with an expandable handle that you leave at the checkout.

Reactions: Wendy M

View attachment 12687

View attachment 12689

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12688

I can't believe that Coles has said these were tested and were 'ergonomic'. A child would know that a one-handled basket of this style would be difficult to cope with once it had some contents.
Coles can emphasise the 'sustainabilty' benefits as much as they like. A 'not fit for purpose' basket is NOT sustainable if customers cannot use it effectively.

Very INefficient process, Coles.