Chances are you aren't deep-cleaning your toilet enough, according to a professional cleaner

Are you one of those people who think that simply giving your toilet a daily once-over with a scrub brush is enough to keep it clean?

We hope not because one professional cleaner has shared what could be hiding in your toilet – and shared why you should deep clean it now to stop smells, dirt, and grime from filling up the porcelain bowl.

Kacie, a professional cleaner who runs The Big Clean Co, said the first thing she recommends to new homeowners or those who move into a new rental is to deep clean the toilet.

‘I always say you need to do it when you move in because no one does it on a move-out clean,’ Kacie shared in a video she uploaded on Instagram.

According to the cleaner, the reason why toilets smell bad can be attributed to the ‘little and big boys’ in the house, who may sometimes miss the toilet bowl.

clean1 (1).jpg
Kacie shared how she deep cleans a toilet bowl. Credit: Max Rahubovskiy/Pexels

‘Here’s how a professional deep cleans a toilet,’ Kacie said in the video.

She added: ‘If you have little boys in the house or even big boys, and your toilet always smells like a urinal even after you clean it, this one is for you.’

Kacie started by undoing the nuts underneath the toilet on both sides. Then, she put them to the side, advising you should leave them somewhere where you can disinfect them.

‘Next, we're just going to lift the whole seat off and see why it smells so bad,’ Kacie said before removing the toilet seat from the bowl.

Once she did, she revealed the underside of the toilet seat was a disgusting shade of yellow. ‘Yes, that is what you think it is,’ she said.

To clean the toilet seat, Kacie suggested submerging it in hot water and bleach – ideally in the bath or a bucket – before scrubbing until stains and discolouration are removed. She also said that the easiest way to do this is to clean it with detergent while wearing gloves.

Kacie also said to think about cleaning your toilet brush right after.

Then, she recommended deep cleaning the toilet bowl at least once a week to ensure that bacteria doesn’t linger long on the bowl.

You can watch Kacie’s video below:

Thousands of people who saw the video quickly shared how 'disgusting' they found the toilet deep clean.

‘I have been noticing a smell and was wondering where it came from! Ew! Now I want to clean it, but I‘m also totally grossed out too,’ one said.

Someone added: ‘My apartment came like this when we first got it, and I remembered you immediately. I do this once a month now.’

‘Okay, but how should we clean that,’ one stated before adding how excited they were to clean but also hesitant to face what they might find.

‘Because of you, I'm doing this strategy every fortnight,’ another explained.

Someone said they’d rather ‘throw the whole thing away’ instead, while one said they’d just ask their ‘boys’ clean the toilet instead.

‘They are cleaning it themselves, couldn’t pay me to do that,’ one more shared.

Aside from that, Kacie also shared her top cleaning secrets. :
  • Use a non-scratch sponge with Gumption or Bar Keepers Friend to clean soap scum from a shower screen with ease.
  • Always use a squeegee to remove water and then 'polish' or dry the glass with a microfibre cloth for sparkling results.
  • Use the $39 Sabco window cleaning kit from Bunnings to clean her windows. This comes with a 12.5-litre bucket with a lid and handle. Pair it with a microfibre window washer, stainless steel squeegee and a microfibre cloth for the perfect finish.
  • Dishwashing liquid and water work well to clean windows.
  • The number one Kmart product for cleaning is the 2-piece pack of Microfibre Glass Cloth (they are hidden in the car section).
Speaking of cleaning hacks, one mum recently discovered a ‘brilliant cleaning product’ that removes toilet bowl stains. The best part? It only costs $3. You can read the whole story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A professional cleaner has shared the disgusting truth behind toilets and why and how you should deep clean them.
  • To clean the toilet seat, you need to submerge it in hot water and bleach it before scrubbing until stains and discolouration are removed.
  • People have shared their success stories of deep cleaning their toilets after seeing the video by the professional cleaner.
  • Cleaning windows effectively and easily is possible with a combination of a squeegee, microfiber cloth, water, and dishwashing liquid.
Members, are there any other tips or cleaning strategies you use to keep your bathroom sparkling? Did you know the seat could be removed for cleaning? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Are you one of those people who think that simply giving your toilet a daily once-over with a scrub brush is enough to keep it clean?

We hope not because one professional cleaner has shared what could be hiding in your toilet – and shared why you should deep clean it now to stop smells, dirt, and grime from filling up the porcelain bowl.

Kacie, a professional cleaner who runs The Big Clean Co, said the first thing she recommends to new homeowners or those who move into a new rental is to deep clean the toilet.

‘I always say you need to do it when you move in because no one does it on a move-out clean,’ Kacie shared in a video she uploaded on Instagram.

According to the cleaner, the reason why toilets smell bad can be attributed to the ‘little and big boys’ in the house, who may sometimes miss the toilet bowl.

View attachment 15689
Kacie shared how she deep cleans a toilet bowl. Credit: Max Rahubovskiy/Pexels

‘Here’s how a professional deep cleans a toilet,’ Kacie said in the video.

She added: ‘If you have little boys in the house or even big boys, and your toilet always smells like a urinal even after you clean it, this one is for you.’

Kacie started by undoing the nuts underneath the toilet on both sides. Then, she put them to the side, advising you should leave them somewhere where you can disinfect them.

‘Next, we're just going to lift the whole seat off and see why it smells so bad,’ Kacie said before removing the toilet seat from the bowl.

Once she did, she revealed the underside of the toilet seat was a disgusting shade of yellow. ‘Yes, that is what you think it is,’ she said.

To clean the toilet seat, Kacie suggested submerging it in hot water and bleach – ideally in the bath or a bucket – before scrubbing until stains and discolouration are removed. She also said that the easiest way to do this is to clean it with detergent while wearing gloves.

Kacie also said to think about cleaning your toilet brush right after.

Then, she recommended deep cleaning the toilet bowl at least once a week to ensure that bacteria doesn’t linger long on the bowl.

You can watch Kacie’s video below:

Thousands of people who saw the video quickly shared how 'disgusting' they found the toilet deep clean.

‘I have been noticing a smell and was wondering where it came from! Ew! Now I want to clean it, but I‘m also totally grossed out too,’ one said.

Someone added: ‘My apartment came like this when we first got it, and I remembered you immediately. I do this once a month now.’

‘Okay, but how should we clean that,’ one stated before adding how excited they were to clean but also hesitant to face what they might find.

‘Because of you, I'm doing this strategy every fortnight,’ another explained.

Someone said they’d rather ‘throw the whole thing away’ instead, while one said they’d just ask their ‘boys’ clean the toilet instead.

‘They are cleaning it themselves, couldn’t pay me to do that,’ one more shared.

Aside from that, Kacie also shared her top cleaning secrets. :
  • Use a non-scratch sponge with Gumption or Bar Keepers Friend to clean soap scum from a shower screen with ease.
  • Always use a squeegee to remove water and then 'polish' or dry the glass with a microfibre cloth for sparkling results.
  • Use the $39 Sabco window cleaning kit from Bunnings to clean her windows. This comes with a 12.5-litre bucket with a lid and handle. Pair it with a microfibre window washer, stainless steel squeegee and a microfibre cloth for the perfect finish.
  • Dishwashing liquid and water work well to clean windows.
  • The number one Kmart product for cleaning is the 2-piece pack of Microfibre Glass Cloth (they are hidden in the car section).
Speaking of cleaning hacks, one mum recently discovered a ‘brilliant cleaning product’ that removes toilet bowl stains. The best part? It only costs $3. You can read the whole story here.
Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner has shared the disgusting truth behind toilets and why and how you should deep clean them.
  • To clean the toilet seat, you need to submerge it in hot water and bleach it before scrubbing until stains and discolouration are removed.
  • People have shared their success stories of deep cleaning their toilets after seeing the video by the professional cleaner.
  • Cleaning windows effectively and easily is possible with a combination of a squeegee, microfiber cloth, water, and dishwashing liquid.
Members, are there any other tips or cleaning strategies you use to keep your bathroom sparkling? Did you know the seat could be removed for cleaning? Let us know in the comments below!

When you remove the seat use CLR to remove the calcium/mineral build up and the stains. Bleach will not remove this. If you use diluted 50/50 bleach solution in a spray bottle and spray the whole toilet and seat with this weekly it will get down into all the nooks and crannies of the toilet bowl and seat where the urine gets. No need to remove seat. Let soak for 10. Use paper towel to wipe off and dry. You can slide the paper towel under the seat flap to soak up the solution with out removing the seat. Wipe the whole toilet seat, even underneath along with the nuts and screws and the whole of the outside of the bowl. Paper towel can be disposed of. Then clean the inside of your bowl. CLR will remove stubborn stains here too. Lastly mop the floor where the diluted bleach solution has dripped as this is also where mis-aimed urine drips to unnoticed.

When you remove the seat use CLR to remove the calcium/mineral build up and the stains. Bleach will not remove this. If you use diluted 50/50 bleach solution in a spray bottle and spray the whole toilet and seat with this weekly it will get down into all the nooks and crannies of the toilet bowl and seat where the urine gets. No need to remove seat. Let soak for 10. Use paper towel to wipe off and dry. You can slide the paper towel under the seat flap to soak up the solution with out removing the seat. Wipe the whole toilet seat, even underneath along with the nuts and screws and the whole of the outside of the bowl. Paper towel can be disposed of. Then clean the inside of your bowl. CLR will remove stubborn stains here too. Lastly mop the floor where the diluted bleach solution has dripped as this is also where mis-aimed urine drips to unnoticed.
Thank you for the information ..... will definitely try this one. Yes, I do have a 'big boy' here (in his late 60's).

I would rather clean the toilet than do the ironing!! Yes you did read that correctly, No I don't actually like to clean the toilet but given the choice between the two chores, I am happier to put my rubber gloves on and grab the Domestos and disinfectant, than get the ironing board out. My pet hate as far as cleaning any Loo is Toilet brushes, they are the foulest thing ever invented, they breed untold germs and why anyone would have one has always amazed me. People scrub away with them then just put them back on the holder. Ewww, disgusting.

I would rather clean the toilet than do the ironing!! Yes you did read that correctly, No I don't actually like to clean the toilet but given the choice between the two chores, I am happier to put my rubber gloves on and grab the Domestos and disinfectant, than get the ironing board out. My pet hate as far as cleaning any Loo is Toilet brushes, they are the foulest thing ever invented, they breed untold germs and why anyone would have one has always amazed me. People scrub away with them then just put them back on the holder. Ewww, disgusting.
Yes, some people are grubs. I've always used a toilet brush and clean it with disinfectant, or if shabby I buy a new one. If you don't use a brush, do you scrub with your rubber gloves?

Reactions: Kgee and Disismoo
I’m with you 😱

There was an article just recently saying ”Do Not use bleach on your toilet seat as it yellows it.” No bleach for me.
I have a white toilet seat and I spray it and everything else with diluted bleach. It hasn't discoloured in over 10 years. Maybe its the vinyl ones.... :unsure:

Yes, some people are grubs. I've always used a toilet brush and clean it with disinfectant, or if shabby I buy a new one. If you don't use a brush, do you scrub with your rubber gloves?
I Apply Domestos starting from under the rim, it is a thick liquid and as it slowly makes its way down the bowl it takes any stains with it. I then wipe the bowl etc. with a cloth only used for that purpose.Yes I use gloves, would not subject my hands to undiluted bleach. I know that some people either do not like the smell of bleach or think that it is bad for the environment but I don't think that my loo(S) are clean enough if I don't use Domestos, each to their own I guess.

There was an article just recently saying ”Do Not use bleach on your toilet seat as it yellows it.” No bleach for me.
Yes, the toilet in the demo looks yellowish and i was thinking the same.

I Apply Domestos starting from under the rim, it is a thick liquid and as it slowly makes its way down the bowl it takes any stains with it. I then wipe the bowl etc. with a cloth only used for that purpose.Yes I use gloves, would not subject my hands to undiluted bleach. I know that some people either do not like the smell of bleach or think that it is bad for the environment but I don't think that my loo(S) are clean enough if I don't use Domestos, each to their own I guess.
Thanks for that info. Domestos is a good one. Whichever product works for people is the best. For all over the toilet seat I use a spray bottle filled with disinfectant, then wipe with toilet paper and flush it. Your cloths for the bowl would be good as you can wash it, plus have spare ones for the job if needed.

Reactions: Gaena
I had hubby and 3 boys, 1 girl, taugh my boys to pee properly not all over the place, when they got older they all were taught to clean the toilets and bathrooms properly, no need for a sticky loo .

I had hubby and 3 boys, 1 girl, taugh my boys to pee properly not all over the place, when they got older they all were taught to clean the toilets and bathrooms properly, no need for a sticky loo .
Experience has taught me that not enough mothers of boys have taught them to pee in the actual bowl and not the sides or floors. I have an older boy that was not taught that the floor is not actually part of the toilet, hence my perpetual mopping of the floor, that he has no idea how to do properly. GGRRR