Centrelink has made changes that could suspend your payments - here’s what you need to know

Members, it’s always a good idea to keep up to date with Centrelink advances and changes, so that we can make sure to make the most of them and also keep safe from potential pitfalls.

If you are receiving a Centrelink payment, you should take note that the agency has recently imposed some changes on its payments policy that came into effect on 1st January 2023.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we believe that it's our duty to make sure our members are informed about all relevant changes to your rights and benefits, so we've done a bit of digging into this new policy and wanted to share what we've found.

Services Australia can suspend your Age Pension payment if you receive employment income, and you fail to meet the required payment standards for more than six fortnights in a row.

Age Pension will be reduced to $0 if your fortnightly income is over $2,243.00 for an individual or $3,431.20 for a couple.

1200px-Centrelink_logo_2013-.svg.png

Services Australia imposed a new policy for pension payments that took effect starting January 1, 2023. Credit: Services Australia.

'You don't need to ask us to suspend your payment, we'll do this automatically,' Services Australia said in a statement.

'When this happens, we'll write to you to let you know. We'll tell you the dates of the period we can suspend your payment for, and you won't need to report your employment income while your payment is suspended.'

The payment suspension period can last for up to two years, so be sure to keep an eye on your bank statement and make sure you don't exceed the threshold.

Additionally, pensioners who will be affected by the new policy will not be required to 'reclaim' their payments provided that their earnings have dipped below the cut-off point.

With the start of the New Year also came an increase in the rates for various Centrelink payments. Unfortunately, this did not include the Age Pension.

Due to indexation, over a million young people, carers and students on Centrelink saw their payments rise by roughly $20 a week on January 1st 2023.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said this extra money should help ease the cost of living pressures being experienced around the country.

Key Takeaways

• Pensioners were affected by a major change regarding the suspension of payments. From January 1, 2023, Services Australia will automatically suspend your Age Pension payment if your employment income exceeds its limit.
  • Once this happens, Services Australia will write to you to let you know the dates and the period they will suspend your payment.

What are your thoughts on this article? Better yet, do you think that it’s fair for the government to suspend pensioners’ payments if they earn above a certain amount? Let us know in the comments below!

Amendment: An earlier iteration incorrectly implied seniors saw a pension increase on January 1st. This indexation increase was only applied for youth allowance, ABSTUDY, isolated children assistance, mobility allowance, double orphan pension, carer allowance and pharmaceutical allowance. We apologise for any confusion caused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Members, it’s always a good idea to keep up to date with Centrelink advances and changes, so that we can make sure to make the most of them and also keep safe from potential pitfalls.

If you are receiving a Centrelink payment, you should take note that the agency has recently imposed some changes on its payments policy that came into effect on 1st January 2023.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we believe that it's our duty to make sure our members are informed about all relevant changes to your rights and benefits, so we've done a bit of digging into this new policy and wanted to share what we've found.

Services Australia can suspend your Age Pension payment if you receive employment income, and you fail to meet the required payment standards for more than six fortnights in a row.

Age Pension will be reduced to $0 a fortnight if your monthly job income is over $2,243.00 for an individual or $3,431.20 for a couple.

Services Australia imposed a new policy for pension payments that took effect starting January 1, 2023. Credit: Services Australia.

'You don't need to ask us to suspend your payment, we'll do this automatically,' Services Australia said in a statement.

'When this happens, we'll write to you to let you know. We'll tell you the dates of the period we can suspend your payment for, and you won't need to report your employment income while your payment is suspended.'

The payment suspension period can last for up to two years, so be sure to keep an eye on your bank statement and make sure you don't exceed the threshold.

Additionally, pensioners who will be affected by the new policy will not be required to 'reclaim' their payments provided that their earnings have dipped below the cut-off point.

It's not all bad news though – with the start of the New Year also came an increase in the rates for various Centrelink payments.

Due to indexation, over a million Aussies on Centrelink saw their payments rise by roughly $20 a week. Seniors saw a rise in their pensions of between $27.40 and $40.70 per fortnight.

Similar adjustments were made to the rates for the ABSTUDY, isolated children assistance, mobility allowance, double orphan pension, carer allowance and pharmaceutical allowance.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said this extra money should help ease the cost of living pressures being experienced around the country.

Key Takeaways

• Pensioners were affected by a major change regarding the suspension of payments. From January 1, 2023, Services Australia will automatically suspend your Age Pension payment if your employment income exceeds its limit.
  • Once this happens, Services Australia will write to you to let you know the dates and the period they will suspend your payment.

What are your thoughts on this article? Better yet, do you think that it’s fair for the government to suspend pensioners’ payments if they earn above a certain amount? Let us know in the comments below!
An absolute disgrace.. the Government holding you to ransom of what small amount you can earn... even if you work one day a week..

I have been wanting to retire for the last 15 years and every time I go to apply/apply they keep changing the rules, so I end up having to work. Looks like I'll be working until I'm 80+.

Age Pension will be reduced to $0 a fortnight if your monthly job income is over $2,243.00 for an individual or $3,431.20 for a couple.

It's not all bad news though – with the start of the New Year also came an increase in the rates for various Centrelink payments.

Due to indexation, over a million Aussies on Centrelink saw their payments rise by roughly $20 a week. Seniors saw a rise in their pensions of between $27.40 and $40.70 per fortnight.

Similar adjustments were made to the rates for the ABSTUDY, isolated children assistance, mobility allowance, double orphan pension, carer allowance and pharmaceutical allowance.

Key Takeaways

This applies to New Start payents but I believe this diwsNot su
It's saying if you earn money and for six fortnights in a row your pension is 0 because of your income then your pension will be suspended not cancelled

If there is a fortnight you don't earn money then all you need to do is let them know.

If you stop working or income is under the threshold you let centrelink know and payment will be adjusted.

They have had this system in for years for jobseeker and youth allowance.

To centrelink if you go six fornights ,12 weeks over the threshold then this is permanent work

It actually makes sense
I know this applies to New Start payments but I do not believe this applies to aged pension payments, they have just increased the work credits.

How on earth are they expecting us to live - I am a pensioner who rents, and I struggle from week to week just to find money to pay my bills. On one hand, they are telling us we can go and earn extra money, and then on the other hand they are taking it away. I agree with Cinnamon - let the politicians live on our pension for 6 months and see how they feel. Depression and anxiety are rising in the aged - I wonder why!!!

Reactions: Loren and Sherza

Key Takeaways

Pensioners were affected by a major change regarding the suspension of payments. From January 1, 2023, Services Australiagain.a will automatically suspend your Age Pension payment if your employment income exceeds its limit.

Once this happens, Services Australia will write to you to let you know the dates and the period they will suspend your payment.

What are your thoughts on this article? Better yet, do you think that it’s fair for the government to suspend pensioners’ payments if they earI wn above a certain amount? Let us know in the comments below!

When I had casual work, I would ring and organise a fortnightly reporting system and my pension or benefits would be adjusted accordingly....fortnightly. When the income stopped, I would ring andR let them know and there was no further need to report. Regardless of the new changes, if I started part-time work again I would still ring them and set up a reporting system again. It much more accurate and timely. I don't like the idea of a pension or payment being adjusted or stopped automatically and retrospectively. Way too many headaches. It's Robodebt all over

My age pension hasn’t gone up ? It went up in September 2022. What is this increase?

I will wait to see as our first payment for 2023 isn't until 12th of Jan so will see if there has been an increase.
Also you now pay 7.30 for a script, must be due to the increase in pharmaceutical allowance increasing. Whoops there goes the increase...

Yet again the Pensioner pays for the generations who don't want to work.
The welfare state is alive and thriving in the land of opportunity for everyone but the generations who fought for it and built it !!! Have you seen how many different payments Centrelink now provide to all comers !!!
I am 71 have gone back to work and get a part pension etc;
my partner also only gets the same part pension because I work; he is not working
I have used up my accrued work bonuses but cant touch partners although we both get penalised.
Dont mind the part payment because I work but fair go - I reckon my partner should be able to stay on his full pension or at least use his accrued work bonus
Great work Centrelink - you got us old and honest ones by the short and curlies !!!!
Yes I agree with you. I am single, but in a relationship with someone who may come to rely on me for care in the not so distant future. He will not be able to work and it would be an enormous help to us (he is 66 and I am 71) if along with income being calculated as a couple, the work allowance could be taken likewise.

No I don't think it's fair. Seniors get ripped off the most. Some "couples" out there are both on a benefit of some kind and both are working, cash in hand. They are much better off than your aged pensioners. Not all pensioners own their own home and are paying exorbitant rents.. The rent assistance from centerlink isn't that much each week/fortnight. These beauracrats should try living on it for 6months. Renting, paying bills and then try buying food, see how they go.
I know of businesses who employ their pensioner family members who get cash in hand and working 5/7 days a week,couples who live in the same house but no longer married meaning 2 singles pensions a fortnight being paid into that house..that is what needs to be thoroughly looked into,,these people have all the modern con's,,latest model cars,,holidays to the mainland every year,,always remodelling their houses and never wanting for anything,,,,get your act together government and look into this

Reactions: Loren

Key Takeaways

Looks like the upper limit of income has been reduced. The system was in place before that. It doesn't make sense to earn over $250 a week. 71% gets taken away over that anyway (50% pension reduction and 21% tax). Also if pension gets suspended you health care card gets cancelled. Your car registration if linked lapses at the same time. Be careful

I am very grateful for what I have and I never thought that I would reach the age of 77 but I have. For me the biggest problems are most of these things seem to be hidden just like some of the services that we can claim for? Thank you SDS for letting us know about this forewarned is to be forearmed. Maybe you could do a deepdive into the mire that is Aged care and what people can claim via it?

That’s not good for the likes of us school bus drivers as they will suspend our payments then we will have no money coming in through the school holidays when we aren’t working. Must be time for us to give up work altogether which means there’s going to be a major problem getting kids to school as there is a major shortage of driver’s already.
Do these clowns ever think a thing through before they do it.
Government departments and public servants cant and dont think things thru.... thats why they work there as they cant get a job in the real world where actual thinking and commonsense is a definite requirement. This goes mainly towards politicians as "More Money" in the wallet is the only thing on their minds.

Reactions: Sherza
My age pension hasn't gone up either, I am carer for both my daughter and husband and I suppose I should be grateful that my carer allowance went up $16 a fortnight, I now get paid a total of $289.60/fortnight to be full time carer for two people.
Non working mum's get more than that so they can get a break from their kids and send them to child care.. age pension hasn’gone up ? It went up in September 2022. What is this increase?

My age pension hasn’gone up ? It went up in September 2022. What is this increase?
I just checked and no increase in my age pension either. I think this is incorrect information in the article. Some Centrelink payments go up once a year at beginning of January but Pensions and Jobseeker go up twice a year, on 21 March and 21 September. The increase mentioned in this article does not relate to Pensions

Reactions: KarenS

Key Takeaways

The amounts are in this article are incorrect. They should say FORTNIGHTLY not MONTHY

That’s not good for the likes of us school bus drivers as they will suspend our payments then we will have no money coming in through the school holidays when we aren’t working. Must be time for us to give up work altogether which means there’s going to be a major problem getting kids to school as there is a major shortage of driver’s already.
These "clowns" have no idea of what it's like to live ion the real world. They are just a bunch of paperwork shuffling cronies.
Last time I went to Centrelink it look like rigor mortis had struck the place as there appeared there was no movement in the anywhere.

Reactions: Sherza
SHAME we cannot suspend Politicians pay when they step out of line!

Over the years I have found that politicians are not the brightest of people absolutely no common sense and that goes for the boffins in charge of centerlink also

Reactions: JedCorella
Firstly, none of the seniors I know who drive school buses earn anywhere near the fortnightly amounts stated, so losing their part or full pension is not even an issue. Anyone else who is on a part or full aged pension, and earning the amounts stated each fortnight certainly doesn’t need to be on any sort of pension. There are not many jobs where you would earn that sort of wage for six weeks and then it drops, unless you work less or give up working altogether, then you let Centrelink know and they would reinstate your pension. Seems to me a lot of fuss is being made over an issue that is unlikely to affect all but A minority of people who shouldn’t be on a pension anyway. I would like to see pensioners like myself, who are still working at nearly 70 just to be able to afford a basic lifestyle, and earn less than $1000 a fortnight not lose $300plus a fortnight out of our pensions. If the politicians can earn mega millions and still keep their over the top pensions then it is time everyday people are treated the same. Or better still, treat the ex politicians like we get treated and take their pensions and entitlements off them, that would quickly return the budget to surplus.