Catfight! One Aussie mum sparks outrage by parking in a pram bay without her kids. Who was in the wrong?

If you’re rushing home to your kids and need to pass by the supermarket to buy them dinner for the night, are you, morally speaking, entitled to leave your car in the pram bay even though you don’t have your kids with you?

This was the start of a long-rounded debate on one popular parenting Facebook group that solicited different responses from the community ranging from complete outrage to absolute indifference towards the act. Is anyone in the wrong?

According to one survey conducted by NRMA Insurance of about 1,500 people, one in five parents with children from ages 0-7 admitted to parking in pram spots despite the absence of their children.

The data suggests that about two-thirds of the respondents believed that parents whose children are no longer in prams no longer deserve the right to park in these spots but 16% of them did it anyway.

However, the research also showed that 9 out of 10 people who witnessed others parking in pram spots without children made no attempt whatsoever to confront these people.

vFl1zwEo2fraaPsww1ydLzl7xtCGsL77CKFvRsW35qTo4PNBFP3SmVTPLb-BsOkdXFykHOOwSFG7hRSLRbcsipQBHCHUYXrw7fnD5Mbehg3BXnPuXzkCrp-pKwJK8HNEuiVlRKFsH96aQso-ow

Source: Shutterstock.net

“The way I see it, if you're in a rush and need to get home to your kids, then yes, it's ok, because your kids are the reason you're in a rush.” one mum commented.

Others brought up the legality of the matter, saying that there was no law in existence that could be used against those practicing this behavior, but commenters retaliated by saying that pram parkings were more of a courtesy than a legality.

“I mean, it's not illegal, but it's a bit of a d**k move.” one chimed in.

“You are allowed but it makes you an inconsiderate a**,” said another.

Some of the commenters were writing in a complete rage, accusing those who parked in these spots of being unfair and inconsiderate.

“The pram parks should only be for people with young children for many reasons. We need extra door space, we need closer spots. We also struggle to get the kids in the car with a trolley full of stuff,” one mum said.

“You shouldn’t in case someone with a carload of children comes along and could really use it. I’d rather the children be close to the shop entrance than walking through a car park where you always get idiots speeding through trying to make their car as loud as they can,” one dad wrote.

NRMA Road Safety Expert Dimitra Vlahomitros supported this idea, stating that children are more prone to car accidents especially while their parents are busy loading or unloading things from their vehicles.

_J7F34jtf6UhG_6yP5DaaR_isvSsWnOOSnSPDpF-jgV7zcKe56FCG2wmI4A0DnxZOolQfhPe42QvSyqLjn9yeuzv53aVe-yehMnsUktHCPaYXrwAaLP9A2DzpXaR25aaTMAOYbXGNZGAQlP_Nw

Just a normal parking space. Source: Shutterstock.net

“Children are more at risk of being involved in a crash due to their unpredictability around cars and they can also be hard for other drivers to see so ensuring convenient parking close to entrances is available for parents with young children is really important.” Vlahomitros said.

What do you think? Do you think we should start integrating the use of pram bays into our legal system? Or is it okay for parents to use them as long as they do it to get back to their kids in a hurry? Tell us what you think by commenting below!

Check out this youtube video from pediatrician Dr Gülnihal Sarman, explaining why our little ones are more prone to accidents than anyone else:

Video Credit: Pediatrician to Parents

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Aahhh, can't you just smell the entitlement? People who act so selfishly can always rationalise their behaviour. Parent parking is for parents WITH children, in order to keep the children safe around moving vehicles. It is NOT for parents without children who are simply in a hurry and think their time is more valuable than everyone else's. Such a pity these people are never infringed for their narcissistic behaviour.

I raised a large family,and I managed quite well without dedicated car spaces. What is a concern is the ratio of disabled parking places with pram spaces. Pram spaces far out way disabled. I often wondered if a wheelchair could come under the pram entitlements.

Catfight! One Aussie mum sparks outrage by parking in a pram bay without her kids. Who was in the wrong?

If you’re rushing home to your kids and need to pass by the supermarket to buy them dinner for the night, are you, morally speaking, entitled to leave your car in the pram bay even though you don’t have your kids with you?

This was the start of a long-rounded debate on one popular parenting Facebook group that solicited different responses from the community ranging from complete outrage to absolute indifference towards the act. Is anyone in the wrong?

According to one survey conducted by NRMA Insurance of about 1,500 people, one in five parents with children from ages 0-7 admitted to parking in pram spots despite the absence of their children.

The data suggests that about two-thirds of the respondents believed that parents whose children are no longer in prams no longer deserve the right to park in these spots but 16% of them did it anyway.

However, the research also showed that 9 out of 10 people who witnessed others parking in pram spots without children made no attempt whatsoever to confront these people.

vFl1zwEo2fraaPsww1ydLzl7xtCGsL77CKFvRsW35qTo4PNBFP3SmVTPLb-BsOkdXFykHOOwSFG7hRSLRbcsipQBHCHUYXrw7fnD5Mbehg3BXnPuXzkCrp-pKwJK8HNEuiVlRKFsH96aQso-ow

“The way I see it, if you're in a rush and need to get home to your kids, then yes, it's ok, because your kids are the reason you're in a rush.” one mum commented.

Others brought up the legality of the matter, saying that there was no law in existence that could be used against those practicing this behavior, but commenters retaliated by saying that pram parkings were more of a courtesy than a legality.

Some of the commenters were writing in a complete rage, accusing those who parked in these spots of being unfair and inconsiderate.

“The pram parks should only be for people with young children for many reasons. We need extra door space, we need closer spots. We also struggle to get the kids in the car with a trolley full of stuff,” one mum said.

“You shouldn’t in case someone with a carload of children comes along and could really use it. I’d rather the children be close to the shop entrance than walking through a car park where you always get idiots speeding through trying to make their car as loud as they can,” one dad wrote.

NRMA Road Safety Expert Dimitra Vlahomitros supported this idea, stating that children are more prone to car accidents especially while their parents are busy loading or unloading things from their vehicles.

_J7F34jtf6UhG_6yP5DaaR_isvSsWnOOSnSPDpF-jgV7zcKe56FCG2wmI4A0DnxZOolQfhPe42QvSyqLjn9yeuzv53aVe-yehMnsUktHCPaYXrwAaLP9A2DzpXaR25aaTMAOYbXGNZGAQlP_Nw

“Children are more at risk of being involved in a crash due to their unpredictability around cars and they can also be hard for other drivers to see so ensuring convenient parking close to entrances is available for parents with young children is really important.” Vlahomitros said.

What do you think? Do you think we should start integrating the use of pram bays into our legal system? Or is it okay for parents to use them as long as they do it to get back to their kids in a hurry? Tell us what you think by commenting below!

Check out this youtube video from pediatrician Dr Gülnihal Sarman, explaining why our little ones are more prone to accidents than anyone else:

My opinion, the amount of people without parking permits parking in Disabled spots is amazing so I would not be one bit surprised if most of the offenders are those type of people who don't care, I have parked in a pram parking spot and I have NO children but there were two cars parked in the disabled spots next to that park without parking permits, yes maybe I was wrong but I cannot walk a big distance but the people I see getting back into there cars in those disabled parking spots can certainly walk further than me, especially when they have two children with them and a bunch of groceries being unloaded into their car, and if I say something you I just get the finger or abused or told to F off, it is a public place mate!!

Last edited:
I raised a large family,and I managed quite well without dedicated car spaces. What is a concern is the ratio of disabled parking places with pram spaces. Pram spaces far out way disabled. I often wondered if a wheelchair could come under the pram entitlements.
Me too, A windowed father two kids (11 months and 2 years). I didn't whinge about it I got on with it. I parked safely and went on my business of shopping. Disabled parking is another issue.

You "chose" to have children. You don't deserve ANY special treatment. You already get tax breaks, tax- payer funded childcare, etc., etc., etc. My parents, grand- parents, great- grand- parents, etc., etc., etc. only maternal health centres. Get stuffed precious. Your part of the generations that believe that they deserve special treatment when you don't deserve anything.

I too have parked in a parents with prams space. I have a disabled parking permit and some idiots without have parked in the disabled bays. I realise that two wrongs don't make a right but needs must. I need the extra space to be able to get my chair in and out of the car comfortably. I always feel guilty when I do this as I am usually a rule keeper but as the alternative is not to do my shopping.:(

I could not agree with you more. Getting my mum into her wheelchair when not in a disabled bay is terrible. If I have to I park in a parents bay. Can anyone explain to me why we have SENIORS BAYS this baffles me. Also the people using other peoples disabled sticker annoys me. What we need is a photo on the sticker so people know that they are the ones parking there.

I could not agree with you more. Getting my mum into her wheelchair when not in a disabled bay is terrible. If I have to I park in a parents bay. Can anyone explain to me why we have SENIORS BAYS this baffles me. Also the people using other peoples disabled sticker annoys me. What we need is a photo on the sticker so people know that they are the ones parking there.
My disabled parking permit has my photo on it. It must be the rule in NSW.:)

Yes RiskyDave I am one of those offenders who has an ACROD and have had to use parents parking after people who do not have an ACROD are parking in the disabled bays and there have been times I have been forced to drive out of the shopping centre because I could not get a suitable parking place.

"Also the people using other peoples disabled sticker annoys me". Needless to say, it is illegal to do this. What a lot of people don't realise is that it is also illegal to use disabled bays, even if the disabled person with the permit is a passenger in the vehicle, if the permit holder does not enter or exit the vehicle. In other words, the permit holder can't just sit in the vehicle in a disability bay while friends and family members run errands. The permit holder and/or driver can be subject to heavy fines and/or confiscation of the permit if they violate the conditions of use.

We had 5 children, when our twins were born their ages were. 5,3,15 months and the twins, we managed to get them in and out of the car folding and unfolding a double pram and a stroller, whilst keeping an eye on wondering 5 and 3 year olds. And we managed, naturally it wasn’t easy and my husband and I always shopped together, with the children.
Those parking spots should be designated to disabled parking, in my opinion.

I feel the action of people using these bays when they are obviously not entitled to do so is contemptuous.
To say this practice is acceptable is like saying people without an Acrod Permit can use an Acrod Bay at the exclusion of someone who does have a Permit & needs that bay themselves. Shopping centres normally don't allow enough of either of these types of bays. Is this because they are wider than the norm & mean less parking bays overall?
To use these bays when one is not entitled to is also laziness.
How old are the children at home? Are they unattended? Isn't there a law which states that children under a certain age are not to be left at home alone? Don't use children at home as an excuse & don't say everybody does it.

I get annoyed that they are closer than the wheel chair ones

I came across some seniors parking spaces a few days ago and thought what a great idea .The people I saw using them were elderly but not all infirm only 1 hade a wheelie Walker but still a great idea

Not sure if a photo ID would help as our daughter who is in a wheelchair has her own van and employs different drivers. I always feel guilty parking in a disabled bay when I go to collect her as she is not in the vehicle with me even though she will be with me when I leave.
I used a Seniors bay recently after a knee replacement. It was handy as I didn't have to walk too far.

I must admit that I am an oldie and when my children were young there was no such thing as pram parking.

I must admit I am an oldie and we had no such thing as pram parking. You parked the car, got the kids out one by one making sure they stood still and did as they were told, then into the supermarket. On the way back, kids were first into the car strapped in and then the shopping went in. With a little discipline this can be achieved quite easily. I also admit that I will park in the pram bays every time they are available. It is a courtesy only, there is no legislation on it. Get over yourselves

I must admit that I am an oldie and when my children were young there was no such thing as pram parking.

I must admit I am an oldie and we had no such thing as pram parking. You parked the car, got the kids out one by one making sure they stood still and did as they were told, and then into the supermarket. On the way back, kids were first into the car strapped in and then the shopping went in. With a little discipline, this can be achieved quite easily. I also admit that I will park in the pram bays every time they are available. It is a courtesy only, there is no legislation on it. Get over yourselves
Yaaaaa good for you I totally agree 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci