SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Carved pencils

Who remembers their parents scraping a thin slice off the end of a pencil and writing their name on it? It was an Aussie tradition to ensure you did not lose them at school! If one went missing, it was easy to figure out who it belonged to! Aside from this, textbooks were commonly wrapped in brown paper to protect them from any damage and extend their lifespan. When you were in school, did your pencils look like this too?

nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

I certainly do remember doing this, especially as we were a family of 6 kids, so it was just as much about your siblings trying to knick your pencils! We used to always cover the text books and used the Xmas Cards to add a touch of decoration on them as well as other magazine pictures. When my own kids went to scholl I used to cover theirs as well - doesn't seem to be much of a thing anymore, at least by the example of my great-Grandies at school. Have a wonedrful weekend and thanks for the nostalgia :)

Reactions: Annbatters
I certainly do remember doing this, especially as we were a family of 6 kids, so it was just as much about your siblings trying to knick your pencils! We used to always cover the text books and used the Xmas Cards to add a touch of decoration on them as well as other magazine pictures. When my own kids went to scholl I used to cover theirs as well - doesn't seem to be much of a thing anymore, at least by the example of my great-Grandies at school. Have a wonedrful weekend and thanks for the nostalgia :)
Oops, typo - seems I need to get back to "school" not "scholl" LOL .. dang, and "wonderful" too (I'll proof-read next time!!!

Reactions: Heathert
Yes, Dad used to slice a slither off the end of my pencils and write my name. Also we didn"t have fancy book coverings and brown paper was the norm but I did find a picture out of a magazine to paste on the front.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I actually didn't do this I would say it will make my pencils look yuck.
A few kids did do this in my class although we never stole each other's pencils so really didn't need to do it.

Just looking at that photo and I could smell that schoolbag smell. My school pencils were carved just like that and my books covered in brown paper with a picture glued on the front.
Thankyou for sharing that photo.

Reactions: Reaper123
I went to school with many migrant children. My pencils disappeared early in the school year, even though they had my name on, as depicted.
I became smart as I had to survive by my wits.
I don't have many fond memories of school.

I remember my dad doing this to my pencil and then lovingly printing my name. He would cover my books with brown paper - I remember the corners being ever so neat..then he would label them in his impeccable print. Just one of the many great memories from my school years…

Last edited:
Carved pencils

Who remembers their parents scraping a thin slice off the end of a pencil and writing their name on it? It was an Aussie tradition to ensure you did not lose them at school! If one went missing, it was easy to figure out who it belonged to! Aside from this, textbooks were commonly wrapped in brown paper to protect them from any damage and extend their lifespan. When you were in school, did your pencils look like this too?

View attachment 15757
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

They certaainly did, and the brown paper covered books as well all neatly labelled.

Reactions: Annbatters
Yes and the books covered in brown paper. Also remember Women`s Weekly magazine bringing out stickers for your school books about 3`x3` with a picture and space for your name, grade and subject.

Reactions: Wandiwa
Oh the memories and smells from back then, my pencils were the same, books covered in brown paper with a nice picture or a book label from a women’s magazine. Wooden pencil cases with slide out lids or swing out lids, smelling of pencils. So many memories. We didn’t have pencil sharpeners for a lot of years so sharpened our pencils by shaving wood off the lead with a knife. I’m surprised we all still have our fingers.