SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Cars we used to drive

Remember the thrill of driving a Ford Zephyr or spotting a Morris Minor on the streets? Those were the days when the roads were adorned with a vibrant tapestry of distinct and charming automobiles. Each car had its own character, a personality that set it apart. You wouldn't have confused a Vanguard with a Hillman or let a Ford Zephyr be mistaken for a Vauxhall Wyvern. It must have been delightful owning one of these charismatic vehicles. Do you still remember your very first car?

nosta.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When​

Vella: It must have been delightful owning one of these charismatic vehicles.
They were probably quite acceptable in their day, but what they lacked, oh dear ...
drum brakes, no seatbelts, wiperblades that slowed down or stopped as you went up hills.
My first car a Holden HR, the radio and heater were optional extras.

I agree about the cars character. These days they all look alike. The only difference, is it SUV. We own a 1923 Case motorcar. Yes Case tractors made cars in the early days. It was mainly sold to farmers in America & Canada. But get this for a mod con in 1923 they had a compressor connection on the front passenger side so you could pump up your tyres if they were a bit flat when you were travelling. Haven’t seen that in our modern cars.

We had a EK Holden when our kids were young. They still remember all the travelling we did dog included & tell their friends the fun they had. No seat belts.

Reactions: Gsr and PeakA
My first car was a 1946 Ford Prefect which had previously belonged to my parents. Dad and I pulled her right down and rebuilt her. So I always had a fairly good idea of what was happening under the bonnet. She was a beautiful car.

Reactions: Gsr
My first car was an EH Holden sedan. I loved the column shift but hated the lack of power steering. It also had the little triangular windows at the front windows which were great for letting fresh air in as of course there was no air con!

I remember one of my uncles having a zephyr, us kids thought it was so cool to get to ride in it. My dad had a succession of older holdens and fords when we were kids but the car I remember most was a big black Buick. It was a lovely car to ride in, there was room for mum, dad, and the whole eight kids they had at the time, usually mum nursing the baby, one or two smaller kids between her and dad and the rest of us on the back seat. We sometimes even fitted in extras, adults and kids. Dad rolled it one day with all of us in it, landed upside down in a creek. Luckily no one was hurt, mum passed the baby out the open window, then we all crawled out through the window. The policeman came along and fined dad five quid, I bet it went straight into his pocket. The car was damaged too badly to fix so sat in a paddock after that. My first car was a mini minor, I loved it and it lasted me a long time, it was second hand. My hubbys first car was a Holden Ute. Now he is a ford man. Our daughter has a 1957 Humber hawk in her garage, gears on the column, it is such a stylish car and easy for my husband and I to drive as we have driven column shift cars when we were young. She finds it a bit tricky but is getting better. I also remember as a kid being taken places in a horse and sulky.

My first car was a Morris Major ELITE and her name was Babsie.
She was two toned grey and did the trip to and from Seymour to Melbourne with ease.

My dad was a Vanguard nut. We had 2 that ran sometimes, when 1 wouldnt go, he would take the number plates off and put them on the other one, and use that until he got the other one going again.

My dad was a Vanguard nut. We had 2 that ran sometimes, when 1 wouldnt go, he would take the number plates off and put them on the other one, and use that until he got the other one going again.
Brought back memories, my dad had a couple of vanguards over the years as well. We always had at least 2nd hand cars, sometimes they had multiple previous owners so they didn’t usually last us more than a few years. We couldn’t afford to spend much on a car so they were always almost ready for the scrap heap by the time dad bought them.