Care worker guilty of performing sex act with elderly man with dementia

Content Warning: This article mentions distressing topics, such as sexual abuse, which may be distressing to some readers. Discretion is advised.

The safety and dignity of our elderly loved ones are paramount, especially when they are placed in the care of aged care facilities that we trust to provide the utmost care and respect.

However, a recent incident in Perth has shaken this trust to its core, revealing a harrowing breach of duty that has left many in our community outraged and deeply concerned.

James Ng'Ang'A Irungu, an aged care worker in Perth, was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person.

The court heard how Irungu forced an elderly man at the home to perform a sex act, a despicable act of abuse against a vulnerable individual who was unable to defend himself.

2148740011.jpg
James Ng'Ang'A Irungu was guilty of three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person. Credit: Freepik

The WA District Court heard that the victim, who had dementia and Parkinson's Disease, was unable to control the shaking in his arms and hands.

Irungu placed the man’s hand on his genitals, even inside his trousers, and then moved them back when the victim tried to pull away.

The incidents were captured on CCTV and reported by the victim's daughter.

Irungu, a student from Kenya who arrived in 2023, expressed a ‘deep feeling of shame’. According to his lawyer Tony Hager, Irungu had ‘repressed his sexuality’ and struggled with financial stress since arriving in Australia.

Judge Alan Sefton, who presided over the case, emphasised that Irungu's actions had the ‘real potential’ to undermine trust in staff at the care facility, where vulnerable individuals require significant care and protection from such misconduct.

‘You selfishly betrayed that trust,’ he told Irungu. ‘You were in a position of care.’

The judge stressed the need for both personal and general deterrence, imposing sentences totalling 24 months, with eligibility for parole, his visa ‘likely to be cancelled’ and to be deported.

The court was also informed that the 83-year-old victim had recently passed away, and no victim impact statement was submitted.
Key Takeaways
  • James Ng'Ang'A Irungu, an aged care worker in Perth, has been jailed for sexually abusing an elderly man in his care.
  • He pleaded guilty to three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person.
  • He was sentenced to two years in prison but is eligible for parole.
  • The judge indicated that Irungu's visa would likely be cancelled, leading to his deportation after serving his sentence.
What are your thoughts on this case? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
He was sentenced to two years in prison but is eligible for parole.
The judge indicated that Irungu's visa would likely be cancelled, leading to his deportation after serving his sentence.
This is the exact bullshit reason why people have no faith in the justice system, Today's Justices/judges are happier with a criminal system. The last man flogged with the cat "o' nine tails in Australia was William John O'Meally back in 1958, About time this was bought back especially with arseholes like this.

LIKELY TO DEPORT HIM !!! send him straight back now. Keeping him in jail will be a luxury to him . He will love giving his new house mates a hand job, free food and plenty of sex.

Why should we pay for his upkeep

Absolutely disgusting , he committed the lowest of low acts. Maybe deport him and beforehand hand put him in a room with the elderly man's relatives.
I totally agree with you

I was told by a student nurse when she was on practicum in an aged care facilty she walked in on two nurses with a young 25 yo man in a wheelchair unable to move or talk. They were giving him a hand job. They reacted really quickly saying they were only giving him what he needed to relieve stress. She didn't even get to ask what they were doing. She voiced her concerned and the nurses left. The young man mouthed "thank you". The student reported it but doesn't know what eventuated as her time there finished. But the person she went to was horrified in her reaction to what she had been informed of. Apparently they had been doing it regularly saying he enjoyed. Hope they were disbarred from nursing again.

I was told by a student nurse when she was on practicum in an aged care facilty she walked in on two nurses with a young 25 yo man in a wheelchair unable to move or talk. They were giving him a hand job. They reacted really quickly saying they were only giving him what he needed to relieve stress. She didn't even get to ask what they were doing. She voiced her concerned and the nurses left. The young man mouthed "thank you". The student reported it but doesn't know what eventuated as her time there finished. But the person she went to was horrified in her reaction to what she had been informed of. Apparently they had been doing it regularly saying he enjoyed. Hope they were disbarred from nursing again.
Just wants to make me cry 😿 that poor darling. There are some sick people in this world.
Kind regards Vicki

I have recently had so many "Care" emails all wanting me to tell them I need caring for.....when I DO NOT. I am so fed up with all these agencies I do not want any one in my home thank you, - Also why should I pay someone to do what I do myself, still enjoy and take a pride in doing ??? where did they get my name and details from. How do they know I'm in my 80th year?
I do realize there are those who need this assistance and that is fine for them, but while I am able, I will tend my vegie and flower gardens, do my own House work, Cooking ( I thoroughly enjoy and do for pleasure and pass on to friends and family) Shopping, Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing, Spinning, Driving etc because I enjoy all of those activities,,,, take them away from me and I will turn into a bored and boring old turnip. (Most likely I'm already thought of that way anyway)

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour by this carer :mad: and to intimate that he’s having a hard time with life at the moment and that he’s feeling deeply ashamed of himself for what he did, is just not acceptable……I sincerely hope that the mental health card will not be put into play, never mind accepted as pertinent to his sentence. I think it’s high time an example is made of refugees and immigrants who perform criminal acts in this country…..They should all be deported immediately, they’re being handled with kid gloves and it’s time for the steel ones to come out now. That poor old man had to put up with the needs of a wicked, wicked human being before he died…….:confused:

He became a care worker in 2023! Did he have any training about the complexities of the aged? I got my Certificate 3 7 also certificates for manual handling, medication & the psychology of aging. I worked in Residential Care & it sickened me to see unqualified people walk in from the streets with absolutely no qualifications at all. I don't know if the salary given to carers has improved but hourly rates were pitiful, considering the heavy workloads. I didn't do it for the money. I wanted to make a difference in the care of the elderly. I feel so very angry about this. What punishment will this "man" get?

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour by this carer :mad: and to intimate that he’s having a hard time with life at the moment and that he’s feeling deeply ashamed of himself for what he did, is just not acceptable……I sincerely hope that the mental health card will not be put into play, never mind accepted as pertinent to his sentence. I think it’s high time an example is made of refugees and immigrants who perform criminal acts in this country…..They should all be deported immediately, they’re being handled with kid gloves and it’s time for the steel ones to come out now. That poor old man had to put up with the needs of a wicked, wicked human being before he died…….:confused:

So very true. He was not a carer. He is an opportunist who preyed on a helpless man. I became a carer, did all of the study, got my certificates because I wanted to make a difference & to give my elderly the care that they deserved. I loved seeing the photos that they kept by their bedsides. Marriages & their children. This truly breaks my heart.

jail the bastard...and then export him back to where he came from and publish the story in his homeland to discourage any of his friends to copy

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have recently had so many "Care" emails all wanting me to tell them I need caring for.....when I DO NOT. I am so fed up with all these agencies I do not want any one in my home thank you, - Also why should I pay someone to do what I do myself, still enjoy and take a pride in doing ??? where did they get my name and details from. How do they know I'm in my 80th year?
I do realize there are those who need this assistance and that is fine for them, but while I am able, I will tend my vegie and flower gardens, do my own House work, Cooking ( I thoroughly enjoy and do for pleasure and pass on to friends and family) Shopping, Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing, Spinning, Driving etc because I enjoy all of those activities,,,, take them away from me and I will turn into a bored and boring old turnip. (Most likely I'm already thought of that way anyway)
I contacted My Aged Care because I only wanted gardening help. Suddenly I was bombarded by different agencies who tried to force all manner of services. A man from one of these agencies phoned me & said congratulations, I have obtained gardening, social assistance & home care. I told him that NO i only wanted gardening help.He was very insulted when I told him that because, of course, he would be missing out on money. The only reason that I need gardening assistance is that recently I suffered a spinal injury. Suddenly, Aged Services have become a money spinner. How dare they! They treat older people, like myself, as doddering old fools. I will find gardening help elsewhere. I still have my pride. Ageism is alive & well in this brave new world!

Unfortunately there are people out there who give aged care facilities a bad name,but there are a lot of good carers who give very good care to the residents. I'm one. It makes me sad when someone doesn't give the care they should. I love my job but it can be very physically and mentally demanding. So let's give a big hooray for the good ones.❤️

I don't care if he suppressed his sexuality or not. There is no excuse for this behaviour. I am truly fed up with the poor excuses people come up for their disgusting behaviours.
The mental health card for criminal behaviour the crap childhood blah blah just excuses.
I have suffered with mental health since a child had a crap childhood. And l know l am not alone in that. I would not ever think of harming another human or animal.
To think as we all age we have no idea what health issues we will face. And our loved ones may have to make one of the most difficult decisions in life. Do l have to put mum or dad in care?
You expect the best care possible for our older folks. Not abuse in any form. The trust has completely been broken for this dear late soul. Even though this poor darling did not have his mind he still knew it was wrong what this creep was doing as he pushed him away.
I cannot begin to imagine what this man's daughter must of felt when she seen the video.
There has to be some way that these people cannot be employed into these positions of trust. I wish l had the answers to stop this.
I have told my kids. If my body gives up and l still have my mind l will be checking out. I have told them please don't put me into care. If my mind has gone so be it. Then by the grace of God please let me be safe.
My apologies for my rant but l feel very strongly about the conditions our dear older folks live in. Respect dignity care and love. If you cannot give that get out of the job.
Kind regards to all Vicki
Who in god's name thinks your comment is funny? Whoever it is needs to have a good, hard look at themselves. Unless they accidentally pressed the wrong emoji. It's happened to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenny Spellacy
It might be a scam seeing they have your details you did not give them. Just delete them without opening them 😊