Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Canvas water bag

compressed-Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 11.58.34 AM.jpeg
Credits: Margaret Black/Facebook

Who remembers the trusty old canvas water bag? It was a staple on family road trips, strapped onto the frame on the front of your car, providing a refreshing drink on a hot summer day. Do you still have one of these? Share your memories in the comments below.

WOW . Only threw mine out coupla years ago, due to wear and tear. It created many a talking point .

Growing up in 50s and 60s we would go for a Sunday drive once we had a car, a morris minor. Most important part of the preparation, apart from picnic food and thermos, was the filled canvas water bag attached to the front of the car. It kept the water cool beautifully. We used that bag for many years. I can still see the stares the car received in about 1958 driving through Sydney ( from Hurstbridge in Vic) in a car packed with kids and dog, and the water bag hanging from the car. Not a common site in a big city!

Growing up in 50s and 60s we would go for a Sunday drive once we had a car, a morris minor. Most important part of the preparation, apart from picnic food and thermos, was the filled canvas water bag attached to the front of the car. It kept the water cool beautifully. We used that bag for many years. I can still see the stares the car received in about 1958 driving through Sydney ( from Hurstbridge in Vic) in a car packed with kids and dog, and the water bag hanging from the car. Not a common site in a big city!
Yep we had one of these and would fill it up before our long trip out west to go fishing. I didn't really like the taste of the water but that's all we had to drink. Only for seeing the photo I had forgotton all about water bags cause you never see them now.

The canvas Water Bag was an essential 'Must Go' item on farming and grazing properties in north west NSW in the 50's through to the 70's. The bag was attached to a metal longitudinal bar of the farm truck such as Bedford's, Internationals' etc and a multi user enamel mug was always found in the glove box of the truck.
On hot days the water bag was our survival commodity. as the temperature increased the bag would 'sweat' condensation to the outside of the bag, and airflow would generally cool the water inside to a refreshing temperature. and always very palatable.
An essential item prior to the advent of [polystyrene water containers - which always had a peculiar plastic taste and we never as appealing.

the smaller on you would often see hooked up to the front of trucks . we had a bigger long one that swelled out to a round one with a long drop down nozzle. tasted like a hession bag flavour...jay2

Reactions: gordon1940
the smaller on you would often see hooked up to the front of trucks . we had a bigger long one that swelled out to a round one with a long drop down nozzle. tasted like a hession bag flavour...jay2
Yes, that's it, the hessan bag flavour, I was trying to think of it as a canvassy taste but yes it is the hessian bag taste. Thank you for that. I am amazed at how all the old photos trigger memories for me that I haven't thought of for donkeys years. How life has changed since these photos were taken.

Yep. Remember that one. Uncle had one on the Front verandah of the Farmhouse in the shade. Water was always COOL!

I remember my Father had one on his Car and Word Ute in Far Nth Qld. They were an essential for all cars and Utes.

Yes, my Dad (rest his soul) had a water bag similar to this one. I recall he still had it up until I was around 4 yrs old in 1965. Going for a ride in the jeep with Mum, Dad and my sister down the paddock for a bush picnic or helping Dad...not that I was much help as a total brat haha! The smell the tea leaves boiling in the billy and the smell of the NSW bush and Mum's freshly baked goodies....what happened to the simple life? Good times and memories and Dad would work up a thirst!

Reactions: PLK
Yes, my Dad (rest his soul) had a water bag similar to this one. I recall he still had it up until I was around 4 yrs old in 1965. Going for a ride in the jeep with Mum, Dad and my sister down the paddock for a bush picnic or helping Dad...not that I was much help as a total brat haha! The smell the tea leaves boiling in the billy and the smell of the NSW bush and Mum's freshly baked goodies....what happened to the simple life? Good times and memories and Dad would work up a thirst!
I remember the wonderful aroma of freshly made billy tea with a couple of eucalyptus leaves in the brew.

Heard in interesting story regarding those canvas water bags: A guy took one with him on a long walk on a dry salt lake (40c day), he'd stop every so often for a break and put the water bag down on the dry salt lake, it naturally absorbed the salt and the bag became undrinkable by the end of the day. The long hike ended well, but under different circumstances, that simple mistake could have killed him.

Reactions: oldchook58