Canadian tourist rethinks Australia visit for two reasons: ‘How unpredictable’

As the world gets smaller and smaller, journeying to distant lands has become simpler and more enticing than ever.

However, sometimes, the appeal of new territories can bring unexpected anxieties.

Take, for example, Canadian tourist Chris Zou, who recently felt ‘terrified’ of his upcoming Australia trip due to two unfamiliar Aussie dangers.

While many often cite the country’s unique wildlife or rugged terrains as potential concerns, Chris's fears were slightly different.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 2.40.01 PM.png
A frequent Canadian traveller to Australia had a ‘meltdown’ over unexpected Aussies and one animal he fears. Image source: TikTok/@storiesofcz

‘When you think about the scariest things in Australia, you think about the animals, insects, and bogans. But the scariest animal I saw when I was there were bin chickens,’ he shared.

‘For those of you who don't know, bin chickens are our version of pigeons in North America and there's just something about them I don't trust,’ he said.

When you think about it, ‘bin chickens’ might sound peculiar. But these birds are like the pigeons seen elsewhere in cities around the world and are quite common in Australia.

Bin chickens, known for their unique blue feathers, are often seen walking around the streets. They’ve become a recognisable, if somewhat odd, feature of Australian cities.

Yet, it’s not just the fauna that has Chris on edge.

australian-white-ibis-5286076_1280.jpg
It's nicknamed ‘bin chicken’ due to its knack for scavenging food. Image source: Pixabay

‘I’m also scared of how unpredictable Australia is,’ he said.

‘I have no clue what I'm supposed to be expecting from this trip. Every time I think I know something, I'm immediately humbled.’

‘Every time I come on social media and think I know something about Australia, the country will humble me and tell me to sit the f**k down because I have no f**king clue what I'm talking about.’

The Canadian tourist shared two instances that highlighted this ‘unpredictability’.

'I was shocked a luxury brand like Aesop came out of Australia and expected to be slammed for that—but everyone else was surprised too.

'And then, I was being helpful when I said I thought Aussies would like pumpkin spice—but you told me not to bring my nasty a** American shit Down Under.'

He added, 'I've come to terms with the fact that I shouldn't even try anymore. I should just go with the flow.'

However, hundreds of Australians found humour in his situation.

‘He’s worried about bin chickens, and yet he’s visiting in swooping season with the magpies,’ one commented.

‘Bin chickens aren't that bad—wait until you’re at the beach eating hot chips with seagulls about,’ a man said.

‘You just had an epiphany—going with the flow is what Australia is about,’ another wrote.

Video source: TikTok/@storiesofcz

Key Takeaways

• Chris Zou, a Canadian tourist, was uneasy about his upcoming Australia trip due to unpredictable locals and bin chickens.
  • He cited unexpected situations like the Australian origin of luxury brand Aesop and locals’ distaste for pumpkin spice.
  • He decided to stop trying to predict or understand Australian norms and simply ‘go with the flow’.
  • Many Australians humorously responded to his concerns, highlighting other unique Aussie experiences.
Members, how do you feel about this story? Do you have any advice or insights for Chris Zhou and other tourists about certain aspects they might be unduly concerned about during their visit to Australia?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
As the world gets smaller and smaller, journeying to distant lands has become simpler and more enticing than ever.

However, sometimes, the appeal of new territories can bring unexpected anxieties.

Take, for example, Canadian tourist Chris Zou, who recently felt ‘terrified’ of his upcoming Australia trip due to two unfamiliar Aussie dangers.

While many often cite the country’s unique wildlife or rugged terrains as potential concerns, Chris's fears were slightly different.

View attachment 33041
A frequent Canadian traveller to Australia had a ‘meltdown’ over unexpected Aussies and one animal he fears. Image source: TikTok/@storiesofcz

‘When you think about the scariest things in Australia, you think about the animals, insects, and bogans. But the scariest animal I saw when I was there were bin chickens,’ he shared.

‘For those of you who don't know, bin chickens are our version of pigeons in North America and there's just something about them I don't trust,’ he said.

When you think about it, ‘bin chickens’ might sound peculiar. But these birds are like the pigeons seen elsewhere in cities around the world and are quite common in Australia.

Bin chickens, known for their unique blue feathers, are often seen walking around the streets. They’ve become a recognisable, if somewhat odd, feature of Australian cities.

Yet, it’s not just the fauna that has Chris on edge.

View attachment 33040
It's nicknamed ‘bin chicken’ due to its knack for scavenging food. Image source: Pixabay

‘I’m also scared of how unpredictable Australia is,’ he said.

‘I have no clue what I'm supposed to be expecting from this trip. Every time I think I know something, I'm immediately humbled.’

‘Every time I come on social media and think I know something about Australia, the country will humble me and tell me to sit the f**k down because I have no f**king clue what I'm talking about.’

The Canadian tourist shared two instances that highlighted this ‘unpredictability’.

'I was shocked a luxury brand like Aesop came out of Australia and expected to be slammed for that—but everyone else was surprised too.

'And then, I was being helpful when I said I thought Aussies would like pumpkin spice—but you told me not to bring my nasty a** American shit Down Under.'

He added, 'I've come to terms with the fact that I shouldn't even try anymore. I should just go with the flow.'

However, hundreds of Australians found humour in his situation.

‘He’s worried about bin chickens, and yet he’s visiting in swooping season with the magpies,’ one commented.

‘Bin chickens aren't that bad—wait until you’re at the beach eating hot chips with seagulls about,’ a man said.

‘You just had an epiphany—going with the flow is what Australia is about,’ another wrote.

Video source: TikTok/@storiesofcz

Key Takeaways

• Chris Zou, a Canadian tourist, was uneasy about his upcoming Australia trip due to unpredictable locals and bin chickens.
  • He cited unexpected situations like the Australian origin of luxury brand Aesop and locals’ distaste for pumpkin spice.
  • He decided to stop trying to predict or understand Australian norms and simply ‘go with the flow’.
  • Many Australians humorously responded to his concerns, highlighting other unique Aussie experiences.
Members, how do you feel about this story? Do you have any advice or insights for Chris Zhou and other tourists about certain aspects they might be unduly concerned about during their visit to Australia?

Simple. Tear up your ticket and don't come. I have to say that if Chris wants to eat the best cheese, then perhaps he should grace us with their presence, as I have never eaten such awful cheese, than I did in Toronto.
If you are travelling to different countries, you have to expect to eat different foods, or, heaven forbid, put up with their wildlife. It's the vagrancies of being a world traveller.

Simple. Tear up your ticket and don't come. I have to say that if Chris wants to eat the best cheese, then perhaps he should grace us with their presence, as I have never eaten such awful cheese, than I did in Toronto.
If you are travelling to different countries, you have to expect to eat different foods, or, heaven forbid, put up with their wildlife. It's the vagrancies of being a world traveller.
Hear hear😋😋hopefully he’ll smile at a crocodile😈chomp

Stop ya whinging and grow the f**k up. If you don't like what Australia has to offer, find another country to go visit, we don't want you here anyway, we have enough whingers of our own.