Canadian expat’s shocking reaction to these Aussie habits: 'It gives me the ick!'

There’s no place like home, amirite? Many Aussies love the unique things that can only be found Down Under.

But for one Canadian expat living in Queensland, certain ‘Aussie’ things that some consider ‘normal’ simply give her the ‘ick’.

Canadian expat Ioana (who goes by @ioanaonthecoast on TikTok) slammed some ‘Aussie things’ that she unfortunately hates!

In the video she posted, she listed some random acts, hairdos, animals, and er, fashion choices that give her ‘the ick’.

canada.jpg
Ioana has been living Down Under for a while now. Credit: ioanaonthecoast/TikTok

The number one item on her ‘ick list’? Grown men wearing thongs in a restaurant.

‘I don’t care if you wear them to the beach but there’s something about a grown man wearing thongs that make me want to [vomit],’ she explained before making a gagging noise.

Next, she took aim at the existence of bindiis: ‘Why are they a thing? Why do I have trust issues every Spring?’

Some classic lollies were also roasted by Ioana, such as the divisive Cherry Ripe. She called this one the ‘devil’s candy’, and said they are ‘the worst’ before making a show of throwing up again. And before I go on, I do feel the need to stand up for the beloved Cherry Ripe here, I think it’s a great chocolate?! My goodness, clearly this Canadian has no taste. 😉

choc.jpg
Do you like Cherry Ripe? Credit: Cadbury

The Canadian expat also questioned signs on highways, notably the controversial ‘Gold Coast’ welcome sign situated on the M1 highway. In 2019, however, this sign was removed after people called it a ‘waste of money’.

‘Why does it exist?’ She asked.

A couple of ‘icky’ things she mentioned included the word ‘budgie smugglers’, RM Williams boots, mullets and birds. Namely, cockatoos and crows because she found them ‘annoying’.

Despite her venting on social media, Ioana added a disclaimer that the video she posted was just ‘for fun’ and asked her viewers to ‘not be mad’ at her. The Canadian has lived and travelled around Australia for six years.

Many of her followers chimed off in the comments and engaged in a fun banter with Ioana.

‘Leave our thongs alone,’ one said.

Another agreed: ‘There literally isn’t a single place where thongs aren’t able to be worn.’

While someone else suggested that bindiis wouldn’t be a problem for her if she just wore thongs.

‘Starting a GoFundMe page for her plane ticket back to Canada,’ one quipped.

Others shared their frustrations with her.

‘The sign is one of the worst pieces of design implementation in history,’ wrote one.

‘Agree on a few things but Mullets…they are hilarious,’ added another.

You can watch Ioana’s video below:

While Ioana’s video is just lighthearted fun, it is not a surprise that a foreign national living in Australia would have different social norms than what they are used to back home.

For Ioana and a number of other expats, the change in lifestyle, culture and customs can take a toll as they try to find their footing in a new country. Most of them experience culture shock.

There isn’t a specific factor that causes it, rather, it’s the new habits expats come across when they move abroad and the old habits they’re still used to. Because the unknown can be so overwhelming, many expats might feel confused, lonely or unconfident.
Key Takeaways

• Canadian expat Ioana, who goes by @ioanaonthecoast, recently took to TikTok to list out some uniquely ‘Aussie’ things that give her ‘the ick’, such as thongs, bindiis, Cherry Ripe, Gold Coast welcome sign, Budgie smugglers, RM Williams boots and mullets.
  • Many Australians were not happy with Ioana's list and some took to the comments to defend thongs and mullets.
  • Some users agreed with the expat and even shared their own opinions.
What are your thoughts on Ioana’s list? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
There’s no place like home, amirite? Many Aussies love the unique things that can only be found Down Under.

But for one Canadian expat living in Queensland, certain ‘Aussie’ things that some consider ‘normal’ simply give her the ‘ick’.

Canadian expat Ioana (who goes by @ioanaonthecoast on TikTok) slammed some ‘Aussie things’ that she unfortunately hates!

In the video she posted, she listed some random acts, hairdos, animals, and er, fashion choices that give her ‘the ick’.

View attachment 11520
Ioana has been living Down Under for a while now. Credit: ioanaonthecoast/TikTok

The number one item on her ‘ick list’? Grown men wearing thongs in a restaurant.

‘I don’t care if you wear them to the beach but there’s something about a grown man wearing thongs that make me want to [vomit],’ she explained before making a gagging noise.

Next, she took aim at the existence of bindiis: ‘Why are they a thing? Why do I have trust issues every Spring?’

Some classic lollies were also roasted by Ioana, such as the divisive Cherry Ripe. She called this one the ‘devil’s candy’, and said they are ‘the worst’ before making a show of throwing up again. And before I go on, I do feel the need to stand up for the beloved Cherry Ripe here, I think it’s a great chocolate?! My goodness, clearly this Canadian has no taste. 😉

View attachment 11521

The Canadian expat also questioned signs on highways, notably the controversial ‘Gold Coast’ welcome sign situated on the M1 highway. In 2019, however, this sign was removed after people called it a ‘waste of money’.

A couple of ‘icky’ things she mentioned included the word ‘budgie smugglers’, RM Williams boots, mullets and birds. Namely, cockatoos and crows because she found them ‘annoying’.

Despite her venting on social media, Ioana added a disclaimer that the video she posted was just ‘for fun’ and asked her viewers to ‘not be mad’ at her. The Canadian has lived and travelled around Australia for six years.

Many of her followers chimed off in the comments and engaged in a fun banter with Ioana.

Another agreed: ‘There literally isn’t a single place where thongs aren’t able to be worn.’

While someone else suggested that bindiis wouldn’t be a problem for her if she just wore thongs.

‘The sign is one of the worst pieces of design implementation in history,’ wrote one.

While Ioana’s video is just lighthearted fun, it is not a surprise that a foreign national living in Australia would have different social norms than what they are used to back home.

For Ioana and a number of other expats, the change in lifestyle, culture and customs can take a toll as they try to find their footing in a new country. Most of them experience culture shock.

There isn’t a specific factor that causes it, rather, it’s the new habits expats come across when they move abroad and the old habits they’re still used to. Because the unknown can be so overwhelming, many expats might feel confused, lonely or unconfident.
Key Takeaways

• Canadian expat Ioana, who goes by @ioanaonthecoast, recently took to TikTok to list out some uniquely ‘Aussie’ things that give her ‘the ick’, such as thongs, bindiis, Cherry Ripe, Gold Coast welcome sign, Budgie smugglers, RM Williams boots and mullets.
  • Many Australians were not happy with Ioana's list and some took to the comments to defend thongs and mullets.
What are your thoughts on Ioana’s list? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

And this from a country where they eat chips with gravy and cheese curds, and maple syrup on bacon! Ick!

Reactions: Halona
I don't even know what 'bindis' are, but I agree with her about men wearing thongs to restaurants. Only slobs would do that in my opinion.
Love Cherry Ripes (although it's years since I bought one - I'm not much into chocolate bars these days).
Bindis are those things when we were kids under the sprinkler we would start screaming because we got those bindis in our feet....dam we should have had our things on.

I doubt there would be any men wearing thongs into a classy restaurant but nothing wrong if it's a Chinese, tai, streak house

View attachment 11520

View attachment 11521

Key Takeaways

WOW...! If that's your reaction to thongs, I can't imagine what it would be to go barefoot...!!!

Attachments

• never seen thong before.jpg
    never seen thong before.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Macarj
She should go back to Canada and stop traveling altogether if she just can't accept other countries nuances we went to Canada and didn't knock anything if they don't like something they should keep it to themselves not plaster it all over social media she just likes to hear herself talk

View attachment 11520

View attachment 11521

Key Takeaways

I've lived in Queensland for many, many years and I have to say I intend to agree with her.

I've lived in Queensland for many, many years and I have to say I intend to agree with her.
Sorry mate not sure you are a true blue Aussie, what part do you agree with
bindis .
Budgie smugglers ( they have made a definite comback)
The RM Williams boots ,
the Mullet ,
The thongs or the cherry Ripe

Last edited:
The word ÏCK"is a good indication of the mentality of this young lady (duuuh). Is that a word or just another silly trend? Lazy talking in my opinion.
As far as all the ICK things, well if you don't like the look of something, don't look at it. If you don't like the taste of something, don't eat it (by the way, leave our Cherry Ripes alone), I'll offer a naturés gift comparison to bindi's.... ever heard the song "there's a dead skunk in the middle of the road..." only in Canada. Next Ioana will be saying, why didn't you tell me I'm annoying? Consider yourself told. She's talking about God's country ... I'll not stand it.
I thought the same about....is it a word at all :) Agree with you totally :)

Sorry mate...not sure you are a true blue Aussie...what part do you agree with...
bindis .
Budgie smugglers ( they have made a definite comback)
The RM Williams boots ,
the Mullet ,
The thongs or the cherry Ripe
Most of what she said didn't just cover Q'ld - there are other states - does she know that?

Most of what she said didn't just cover Q'ld - there are other states - does she know that?
Maybe she has only been to QLD but I think she was talking about Australia in General . I'm in NSW she should have gone to Byron Bay 🙂 one of my favourite spots where you see budgie smugglers, thong wearing and cherry Ripe eating Aussies relaxing and just enjoying life

View attachment 11520

View attachment 11521

Key Takeaways

I lived outside of Australia for 15 years and coming back was a severe culture shock and still is after being back for 5 years. What many Australians think are Australian cultural icons demonstrates that some banal things are considered "Australian culture".

I lived outside of Australia for 15 years and coming back was a severe culture shock and still is after being back for 5 years. What many Australians think are Australian cultural icons demonstrates that some banal things are considered "Australian culture".
What would you classify as Banal ( boring ) ?

Those things mentioned Aussies just take for granted its part of us , it's tourist that come that are the ones who noticed these things so can't be so Banal.

Aussies also have culture along with great cities, beautiful beaches and stunning harbours and cities .

Just go home to Canada bimbo. Stop attention seeking by posting would not even waste my time watching the post. Lived in Canada for 2 years (husbands work, not my choice) loathed it especially the people who a rude and arrogant not to mention ignorant thought the Sydney harbour bridge joined Australia and NZ and thought they could just drive over the ditch.

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 11520

View attachment 11521

Key Takeaways

never mind a plane ticket home, send her back as deck cargo on a submarine

Personally I think she's just a wanker and a whinger. Cherry Ripes are my all time favourite chocolate bar, pretty much eat them every day. Can't wear thongs in an RSL though. Agree with crows, hate them with a passion but love the cockatoos that flock in the tree in my side yard.

Who cares?
I don't, she'll probably only be here temporarily & if she's travelled all over OZ then, she will find out all OUR states are different in many ways.
Thongs in restaurants? Could be she's only been to Maccas & the like...hahaha but, if it is a RESTAURANT then there would be a DRESS CODE to adhere to.
Agree about mullets...yuk!