Can you solve this challenging maths question?

Do you fancy testing your maths skills, members?

Well, you’re in luck! You've got quite a challenge ahead with a tricky question that’s left grown-ups everywhere scratching their heads.

This one is causing quite a stir! In fact, it’s left adults feeling frustrated. Can you figure out the answer?

This seemingly simple maths question intended for the bright minds of ten to eleven-year-old students is completely flummoxing adults across the globe.

Discovered on an online forum, this puzzler has sparked manyf attempts to solve it, with nearly 10,000 comments offering answers, advice, and some hilariously desperate pleas for help.

Here's the big question for you mathematics sleuths out there:

'Klein read 30 pages of a book on Monday and 1/8 of the book on Tuesday. He completed the remaining 1/4 of the book on Wednesday. How many pages are there in the book?'

photo (3).jpg
A person shared a tricky maths problem online, leaving some commenters stumped. Credit: Reddit

Go on, if you have a head for maths, we encourage you solving this! If not, read on!

After a glance at the comments, it appeared some people never made past seeing the question.

‘5th grade me would not get this. Mid-40s me barely gets it,’ one person admitted.

‘I don't get it at all, even with explanations, and I'm 30. I've always been bad at math,’ another wrote.

A third person commented, ‘I always think to myself: "Ugh. People should really be tested with basic skills before they're allowed to go out into society." And then I see this and realise I shouldn't go out into society.’

Some bypassed the headache entirely and blamed the question itself, albeit in a cheeky manner. One commenter pointed out: ‘Why didn’t Klein just read the remaining 18 pages on Monday? Klein is lazy.’

‘Elementary school teachers should retake English Writing 101. Based on all the comments, the question should have been worded unambiguously,’ another person said.

And, of course, some provided the correct answer to the question. Before reading ahead, were you able to come up with an answer?

The smart cookies who did succeed in unravelling the riddle explained that the key was understanding the 'units' and breaking down the problem step-by-step. A consensus revealed the answer to the tricky question: a total of 48 pages.

One person broke it down stepwise and showed how understanding fractions was crucial to cracking the code:

‘1 book = 30 pages + 1/8 book + 1/4 book

1 book = 30 pages + 3/8 book

1 book - 3/8 book = 30 pages

5/8 book = 30 pages

1 book = 48 pages.’​

Many agreed with the logic, with one like-minded commenter saying, 'Yeah, exactly. My mental process was he read the last 1/4 on Wednesday, so he must’ve read 3/4, which is 6/8 in the previous days. But he only read 1/8 on Tuesday. So he must’ve read the other 5/8 on Monday.’

‘We’re told he read 30 pages on Monday. We know he read 5/8 of the book on Monday. So 30 pages = 5/8 of the book. So 30 pages divided by five is six pages. So a unit of six pages is 1/8 of the book.’

‘The book, therefore, is eight units of six pages, which equals eight multiplied by six = 48 pages long.’

However, other social media users didn’t understand why so many others were challenged, with one commenting: ‘Isn't this just a normal maths problem?’

‘Education…needs to be improved if this is an issue for people,’ another pointed out.

‘I find it surprising that so many people are struggling with this. You just convert 1/4 to 2/8, and then the answer is pretty straightforward,’ another person wrote.

Key Takeaways
  • A maths exam question aimed at ten to eleven-year-old school children has left many adults feeling stumped on an online forum.
  • The question, which involved determining the number of pages in a book based on the amount read over three days, has generated thousands of attempts and close to 10,000 comments.
  • While some users could deduce the correct answer of 48 pages, others were left feeling confused and frustrated.

What do you think of the story, members? Did you solve the tricky question? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored

Well, you’re in luck! You've got quite a challenge ahead with a tricky question that’s left grown-ups everywhere scratching their heads.

This one is causing quite a stir! In fact, it’s left adults feeling frustrated. Can you figure out the answer?

This seemingly simple maths question intended for the bright minds of ten to eleven-year-old students is completely flummoxing adults across the globe.

Discovered on an online forum, this puzzler has sparked manyf attempts to solve it, with nearly 10,000 comments offering answers, advice, and some hilariously desperate pleas for help.

'Klein read 30 pages of a book on Monday and 1/8 of the book on Tuesday. He completed the remaining 1/4 of the book on Wednesday. How many pages are there in the book?'

View attachment 30385
A person shared a tricky maths problem online, leaving some commenters stumped. Credit: Reddit

Go on, if you have a head for maths, we encourage you solving this! If not, read on!

After a glance at the comments, it appeared some people never made past seeing the question.

‘5th grade me would not get this. Mid-40s me barely gets it,’ one person admitted.

‘I don't get it at all, even with explanations, and I'm 30. I've always been bad at math,’ another wrote.

A third person commented, ‘I always think to myself: "Ugh. People should really be tested with basic skills before they're allowed to go out into society." And then I see this and realise I shouldn't go out into society.’

Some bypassed the headache entirely and blamed the question itself, albeit in a cheeky manner. One commenter pointed out: ‘Why didn’t Klein just read the remaining 18 pages on Monday? Klein is lazy.’

‘Elementary school teachers should retake English Writing 101. Based on all the comments, the question should have been worded unambiguously,’ another person said.

And, of course, some provided the correct answer to the question. Before reading ahead, were you able to come up with an answer?

The smart cookies who did succeed in unravelling the riddle explained that the key was understanding the 'units' and breaking down the problem step-by-step. A consensus revealed the answer to the tricky question: a total of 48 pages.

One person broke it down stepwise and showed how understanding fractions was crucial to cracking the code:

Many agreed with the logic, with one like-minded commenter saying, 'Yeah, exactly. My mental process was he read the last 1/4 on Wednesday, so he must’ve read 3/4, which is 6/8 in the previous days. But he only read 1/8 on Tuesday. So he must’ve read the other 5/8 on Monday.’

‘We’re told he read 30 pages on Monday. We know he read 5/8 of the book on Monday. So 30 pages = 5/8 of the book. So 30 pages divided by five is six pages. So a unit of six pages is 1/8 of the book.’

‘The book, therefore, is eight units of six pages, which equals eight multiplied by six = 48 pages long.’

However, other social media users didn’t understand why so many others were challenged, with one commenting: ‘Isn't this just a normal maths problem?’

‘Education…needs to be improved if this is an issue for people,’ another pointed out.

‘I find it surprising that so many people are struggling with this. You just convert 1/4 to 2/8, and then the answer is pretty straightforward,’ another person wrote.

Key Takeaways

• A maths exam question aimed at ten to eleven-year-old school children has left many adults feeling stumped on an online forum.
  • The question, which involved determining the number of pages in a book based on the amount read over three days, has generated thousands of attempts and close to 10,000 comments.
  • While some users could deduce the correct answer of 48 pages, others were left feeling confused and frustrated.

What do you think of the story, members? Did you solve the tricky question? Share them in the comments below!
I got it but it took a while, not attending school for quite awhile got me to use the old grey matter again.

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

Maths question - answer is 48 pages in the book. The beauty of using algebra!! 30 + x/8 = 3x/4 (where x = the number of pages. MP

I hated Maths and hated Algebra. It took me awhile but it the end got it.

My daughter looked at it and answered straight away , she is smarter than me.

Give me quiz questions any day

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

48 pages

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

I am 72 and Isolved it immediately. Easy to break it down into 8ths.

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

Yes I'm smart browsed the question and moved on .

Took me a couple of minutes but simple when you use your mind! One tends to get lazy about maths when you can use a calculator OR the answer is not important. I can remember a supermarket many years ago closing in a power blackout as no-one could add more than 2 items together and certainly could not work out how much change you needed.
Same here, I had to add 5 items together for a lass in the local Chinese takeaway, and then she didn't know how to work out the change.
She said how do I know that's right, you might be cheating me,?? There were 4 other people also in the store, before I left I added up 3 of those also.🤦🤷

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

I was born 1961 too
Hi Suzanne rose, I was born 1951, I meant 1961 was the year I kept getting called stupid by the teacher, sorry for the confusion.

The last time I took Maths in high school was year 10 or third year for us who were in the system then, I hated maths then I hate it now, I function, can pay my bills add, subtract divide and can use the times table.. I was never going to go into a job where I needed fractions, or a + b = ? etc. I would never have gotten this little puzzle, but then again if I actually needed it I have a husband who can look at something like that and give me the answer. Win Win for me. Have a good day

Reactions: mylittletibbies
The last time I took Maths in high school was year 10 or third year for us who were in the system then, I hated maths then I hate it now, I function, can pay my bills add, subtract divide and can use the times table.. I was never going to go into a job where I needed fractions, or a + b = ? etc. I would never have gotten this little puzzle, but then again if I actually needed it I have a husband who can look at something like that and give me the answer. Win Win for me. Have a good day
Maths was my best subject at school, so no problem with this.Everybody is different, no shame in finding maths difficult.
I was good at algebra, but could never and still can't do geometry and don't get me started on science, what is that???

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

I am too old obviously, learned back home you should put everything in the lowest fraction ( in that particular case: eights), read 1/8+2/8 ie 3/8, so 5/8 for 30 pages read the first day , ie 1/8 = 6 pages therefore book 48pages (it took me a few seconds to calculate.. and it seemed an eternity to write it down). I agree with those who said if you cannot get this right?????? this is very basic maths.. I love the "lazy"comment, yes why did not he read the whole book the first day!

Last edited:

View attachment 30385

Key Takeaways

I am 67 so I able to work the answer out with mentally, it took me less than ten seconds. My brother who is younger used a calculator in school, and I was always able to complete even complex maths questions quicker than him. Get calculators out of school and teach students properly