Can you see what’s missing from this 'retro' Woolworths store?

In a suburb of one of Australia’s bustling cities, a Woolworths store has sparked a wave of nostalgia and a flurry of discussion among shoppers.

This isn't your typical Woolworths store, but a seeming relic of the past, a 'retro' supermarket that appears to have been untouched by the hands of time.

The most striking feature of this store is a most curious one: it’s not what the store has; it’s what it’s missing.

This surprising omission has left shoppers feeling like they've stepped into a time machine.

photo (1).jpg
The ‘retro’ Woolworths brought nostalgia to Aussies. Credit: @wonderer765 / Reddit

One shopper was right on the money when they posted about the store.

'Haven’t seen an old Woolworths in so long,' one shopper posted on social media.

'It had no self-checkout! I felt like I was visiting a historic landmark.'

Images of the Eastwood, Sydney store, complete with an old Woolworths logo and a conspicuous lack of self-checkouts, have stirred up excitement and curiosity among Aussies.

The red Woolworths wording with green stripes on either side is a blast from the past, having first debuted in stores across Australia 35 years ago in 1987.

'Gotta be the only store with zero self-serve machines,' commented another user.

'And that logo! How has head office managed to forget to update this place for over a decade.'

Another added: 'I think WW Eastwood may be the only one left in Sydney now [that doesn’t have self-checkouts].'

Speculation has been rife about why this store has been left in a time warp.

'They don't want to spend the money when Eastwood Center was supposed to be knocked down 15 years ago. And still is still waiting,' suggested one person.

'I interviewed for and was offered a job at Eastwood Woolies in 2008, which I ultimately didn't take up. They warned me this was expected to [be] supermarkets a temporary role as they expected the store to trade for another 6 months,' revealed another.

The introduction of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a contentious issue since their inception. Some argue that they take away jobs, while others appreciate the convenience and speed they offer.

British supermarket Booths recently announced it was removing self-service checkouts, labelling them as 'impersonal'.

However, major Aussie retailers ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths have previously announced they are sticking by the technology, saying they are the checkout of choice for most Australians.

Woolworths shared that while self-service is here to stay, 'there is always that option in all of our stores' for customers who prefer a team member to check out their groceries.

'We know [there are] many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that’s why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,' a spokesperson said.

The 'Retro' Woolworths: A Symbol of Simpler Times?

While the Eastwood Woolworths may seem out of place in our modern, tech-driven world, it reminds us of simpler times. A time when every checkout was manned by a friendly face, and the pace of shopping was a little slower.

For some, the absence of self-checkouts is a welcome respite from the impersonal nature of modern shopping.

For others, it's inconvenient in an era where speed and efficiency are paramount.

Regardless of where you stand on the self-checkout debate, the 'retro' Woolworths store in Eastwood offers a unique shopping experience sure to spark nostalgia.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper found an old-style Woolworths store in Eastwood, Sydney, that lacked self-checkouts and featured retro branding.
  • The discovery sparked discussions on social media about the store's outdated appearance and the absence of self-service technology.
  • Some speculated the store hadn't been updated due to expected redevelopment plans that had been delayed for years.
  • Despite the debate over self-checkouts, Woolworths and other major Australian retailers continue to support the technology, offering both self-service and staffed options to customers.
Have you been to Eastwood Woolworths? Do you miss the old days of manned checkouts, or do you prefer the convenience of self-service? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I don't think it is convenient having self-service checkouts. I was forced to use one at Kmart the other day because the manned checkout had no one available. Still had to get someone to help me, especially with a bigger item. Frustration plus. On the other hand, at Woolworths I sailed through the manned checkout, no trouble at all and the operator was extremely friendly.

In a suburb of one of Australia’s bustling cities, a Woolworths store has sparked a wave of nostalgia and a flurry of discussion among shoppers.

This isn't your typical Woolworths store, but a seeming relic of the past, a 'retro' supermarket that appears to have been untouched by the hands of time.

The most striking feature of this store is a most curious one: it’s not what the store has; it’s what it’s missing.

This surprising omission has left shoppers feeling like they've stepped into a time machine.

View attachment 38550
The ‘retro’ Woolworths brought nostalgia to Aussies. Credit: @wonderer765 / Reddit

'Haven’t seen an old Woolworths in so long,' one shopper posted on social media.

Images of the Eastwood, Sydney store, complete with an old Woolworths logo and a conspicuous lack of self-checkouts, have stirred up excitement and curiosity among Aussies.

The red Woolworths wording with green stripes on either side is a blast from the past, having first debuted in stores across Australia 35 years ago in 1987.

'Gotta be the only store with zero self-serve machines,' commented another user.

'And that logo! How has head office managed to forget to update this place for over a decade.'

Another added: 'I think WW Eastwood may be the only one left in Sydney now [that doesn’t have self-checkouts].'

'They don't want to spend the money when Eastwood Center was supposed to be knocked down 15 years ago. And still is still waiting,' suggested one person.

'I interviewed for and was offered a job at Eastwood Woolies in 2008, which I ultimately didn't take up. They warned me this was expected to [be] supermarkets a temporary role as they expected the store to trade for another 6 months,' revealed another.

The introduction of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a contentious issue since their inception. Some argue that they take away jobs, while others appreciate the convenience and speed they offer.

British supermarket Booths recently announced it was removing self-service checkouts, labelling them as 'impersonal'.

However, major Aussie retailers ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths have previously announced they are sticking by the technology, saying they are the checkout of choice for most Australians.

Woolworths shared that while self-service is here to stay, 'there is always that option in all of our stores' for customers who prefer a team member to check out their groceries.

'We know [there are] many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that’s why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,' a spokesperson said.

While the Eastwood Woolworths may seem out of place in our modern, tech-driven world, it reminds us of simpler times. A time when every checkout was manned by a friendly face, and the pace of shopping was a little slower.

For some, the absence of self-checkouts is a welcome respite from the impersonal nature of modern shopping.

For others, it's inconvenient in an era where speed and efficiency are paramount.

Regardless of where you stand on the self-checkout debate, the 'retro' Woolworths store in Eastwood offers a unique shopping experience sure to spark nostalgia.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper found an old-style Woolworths store in Eastwood, Sydney, that lacked self-checkouts and featured retro branding.
  • The discovery sparked discussions on social media about the store's outdated appearance and the absence of self-service technology.
  • Some speculated the store hadn't been updated due to expected redevelopment plans that had been delayed for years.
  • Despite the debate over self-checkouts, Woolworths and other major Australian retailers continue to support the technology, offering both self-service and staffed options to customers.
Have you been to Eastwood Woolworths? Do you miss the old days of manned checkouts, or do you prefer the convenience of self-service? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
I have been to another Woolworths in Brisbane Southside that doesn’t have self-checkout. It’s Woolworths Calamvale Central. I think it’s inconvenient as sometimes they only have 2 registers open!

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 38550

Key Takeaways

Would be nice to receive some old fashioned service in supermarkets......something not seen these days, which is very sad.

I think the whole checkout system needs an overhaul. Keep the self service for 5 items or less only. This would please people in a rush with only a couple of items and reduce shoplifting which will save the supermarket money, and with this they can have manned checkouts open as required. I believe it’s that easy as you expect to be there for awhile if you have a trolley full, but get frustrated when there are only a couple of manned checkouts to assist you.

I think the whole checkout system needs an overhaul. Keep the self service for 5 items or less only. This would please people in a rush with only a couple of items and reduce shoplifting which will save the supermarket money, and with this they can have manned checkouts open as required. I believe it’s that easy as you expect to be there for awhile if you have a trolley full, but get frustrated when there are only a couple of manned checkouts to assist you.
Hopefully they also refine whatever tech's in those counter camera scanner things that mistake the odd grocery item every once in a while as something else :LOL:

I worked at Woolworths in the 70’s on the checkouts.
the one thing we had as did most Woolworths, was someone who packed you bag.
they were trained to do this correctly
i actually miss this service.

View attachment 38550

Key Takeaways

OMG!!! Heritage list this unique store so they can’t change it. What an icon to the community. People just might make a special trip just to see this …. And shop for the 1or2 things but come out with a trolley loaded…As always 🤣🤣🤣