Can you pass the maths test an Aussie teacher failed? Test your skills!

A student teacher sought assistance after struggling with the maths part of her obligatory exam, echoing the challenges many of her peers faced.

Celeste Healey, 26, is on her journey to becoming a teacher but is confronted with the possibility of delaying her studies due to the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE).

photo.jpg
New research reveals students are facing panic attacks and financial loss due to a mandatory teacher qualification test. Image source: TikTok (@chelestee)/Pixabay

‘Obviously, we’re so in demand for teachers. But guys, I can’t pass the LANTITE numeracy test,’ she voiced on social media, seeking guidance and support: ‘Please help me.’

Every Australian teacher must pass the test's numeracy and literacy sections before they are allowed to graduate and begin teaching in a classroom.

What is LANTITE?

LANTITE tests teacher-students literacy and numeracy skills, requiring them to place in the top 30 per cent of adults. Each test attempt costs $198.

Those already enrolled in their studies receive three chances to pass the test.

As part of the National Teacher Workforce Action Plan, there are pilot changes to LANTITE—allowing more test attempts and providing better feedback for those who don't pass to attract and retain more teachers.

In 2021, about 93 per cent of test-takers cleared the literacy and numeracy components after attempting the test one to three times. No clear data specifies how many passed on their initial attempt.

Although many teachers don't often use maths equations and algebra in their roles, the numeracy test presents complex maths problems that challenge numerous test-takers.

A CQUniversity psychologist believes LANTITE test failures stem more from student stress and testing unfamiliarity than knowledge gaps. Video: TikTok (@chelestee)

‘I literally dropped out of maths in year 9 and I haven’t been able to comprehend algebra and all the equations since,’ Ms Healey shared in her video.

Ms Healey's struggles with the numeracy part of the test resonate with many. Hundreds of teachers have taken to the comments to share their experiences and offer their support.

‘Me, I'm literally taking 6 months off my course so I can just focus and study and learn how to do math again,’ one person wrote.

‘I was the same. I got an online tutor! I passed with flying colours,’ another shared with advice.

‘You might have maths anxiety! Look it up, I struggled with it for years. I passed using coping strategies and having a growth mindset!’ a third person reflected on their journey.

Could you pass the numeracy component?

Scroll further to see sample numeracy questions from the Australia Council for Educational Research (ACER), the body overseeing LANTITE's administration.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 4.13.44 PM.png
Please refer to this image for questions 1 and 2.

Question 1:
A Government primary school employed 40 teachers in 1980. The average number of students per teacher for the school was equal to the relevant average value shown in the table. What was the total number of students enrolled at the school in 1980?

Answer:
The correct answer is 808 because the table shows that in Government primary schools in 1980, the ratio was 20.2 students to each teacher. For 40 teachers, 20.2 is multiplied by 40 to give the number of students, 808.

Question 2:
A Catholic secondary school had a total enrolment of 1098 students in 2021. The average number of students per teacher for the school was equal to the relevant average value shown in the table. What was the total number of teachers at the school in 2021?

Answer:
The correct answer is 90 because the table shows that in 2021 Catholic secondary schools had a ratio of 12.2 students to each teacher. For 1098 students, 1098 is divided by 12.2 to give the number of teachers, 90.

Key Takeaways

• A student teacher, Celeste Healey, has publicly shared her struggle to pass the numeracy part of the mandatory Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE).
  • Regardless of the subjects they will be teaching, every Australian teacher must pass both the numeracy and literacy components of the test before they can graduate and start teaching.
  • The LANTITE test costs $198 each time it is taken and is currently trialling two changes to allow for more test attempts and increased feedback for those who fail.
  • Other teachers and students empathised with Ms Healey's struggle in the comments of her video, sharing their own experiences and offering advice.
Members, how did you handle the two practice questions provided? Were they easy or a bit challenging for you? Share your responses in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sponsored
Slow and steady - read, absorb, then work on the answer. I had no trouble with the questions and correct answers. I hated what was called Arithmetic, Geometry and Algebra when I finished high school in 1960, but these are simple questions and should be answerable by almost anyone.

Put away those calculators in schools and the phones that distract the young people of today and we may get some sense and knowledge out of them. Teachers also need to speak and teach correct language - not bought for brought and premise for premises. This last sentence of mine also applies to so-called business executives, politicians and the general public. It is a pet hate of mine and is out there, front and centre, all the time nowadays. And another pet hate is the lack of punctuation and spelling. I cannot put a sentence together on paper without using correct spelling and punctuation, although I have very rarely missed re-reading or editing what I have written so the occasional error pops in.

I am an 'Anglo-Indian' (look it up if you don't know what that is), and was born and brought up in India; one of the frequent questions I was asked after coming to Australia as a 19 year old in 1965 was "Where did you learn to speak English - did you have schools or did you sit under trees to learn?" I'm not kidding when I say these were asked of me and, in those days, it just pointed to the lack of general knowledge that Australians had of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
A student teacher sought assistance after struggling with the maths part of her obligatory exam, echoing the challenges many of her peers faced.

Celeste Healey, 26, is on her journey to becoming a teacher but is confronted with the possibility of delaying her studies due to the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE).

View attachment 32315
New research reveals students are facing panic attacks and financial loss due to a mandatory teacher qualification test. Image source: TikTok (@chelestee)/Pixabay

‘Obviously, we’re so in demand for teachers. But guys, I can’t pass the LANTITE numeracy test,’ she voiced on social media, seeking guidance and support: ‘Please help me.’

Every Australian teacher must pass the test's numeracy and literacy sections before they are allowed to graduate and begin teaching in a classroom.

What is LANTITE?

LANTITE tests teacher-students literacy and numeracy skills, requiring them to place in the top 30 per cent of adults. Each test attempt costs $198.

Those already enrolled in their studies receive three chances to pass the test.

As part of the National Teacher Workforce Action Plan, there are pilot changes to LANTITE—allowing more test attempts and providing better feedback for those who don't pass to attract and retain more teachers.

In 2021, about 93 per cent of test-takers cleared the literacy and numeracy components after attempting the test one to three times. No clear data specifies how many passed on their initial attempt.

Although many teachers don't often use maths equations and algebra in their roles, the numeracy test presents complex maths problems that challenge numerous test-takers.

A CQUniversity psychologist believes LANTITE test failures stem more from student stress and testing unfamiliarity than knowledge gaps. Video: TikTok (@chelestee)

‘I literally dropped out of maths in year 9 and I haven’t been able to comprehend algebra and all the equations since,’ Ms Healey shared in her video.

Ms Healey's struggles with the numeracy part of the test resonate with many. Hundreds of teachers have taken to the comments to share their experiences and offer their support.

‘Me, I'm literally taking 6 months off my course so I can just focus and study and learn how to do math again,’ one person wrote.

‘I was the same. I got an online tutor! I passed with flying colours,’ another shared with advice.

‘You might have maths anxiety! Look it up, I struggled with it for years. I passed using coping strategies and having a growth mindset!’ a third person reflected on their journey.

Could you pass the numeracy component?

Scroll further to see sample numeracy questions from the Australia Council for Educational Research (ACER), the body overseeing LANTITE's administration.

View attachment 32323
Please refer to this image for questions 1 and 2.

Question 1:
A Government primary school employed 40 teachers in 1980. The average number of students per teacher for the school was equal to the relevant average value shown in the table. What was the total number of students enrolled at the school in 1980?

Answer:
The correct answer is 808 because the table shows that in Government primary schools in 1980, the ratio was 20.2 students to each teacher. For 40 teachers, 20.2 is multiplied by 40 to give the number of students, 808.

Question 2:
A Catholic secondary school had a total enrolment of 1098 students in 2021. The average number of students per teacher for the school was equal to the relevant average value shown in the table. What was the total number of teachers at the school in 2021?

Answer:
The correct answer is 90 because the table shows that in 2021 Catholic secondary schools had a ratio of 12.2 students to each teacher. For 1098 students, 1098 is divided by 12.2 to give the number of teachers, 90.

Key Takeaways

• A student teacher, Celeste Healey, has publicly shared her struggle to pass the numeracy part of the mandatory Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE).
  • Regardless of the subjects they will be teaching, every Australian teacher must pass both the numeracy and literacy components of the test before they can graduate and start teaching.
  • The LANTITE test costs $198 each time it is taken and is currently trialling two changes to allow for more test attempts and increased feedback for those who fail.
  • Other teachers and students empathised with Ms Healey's struggle in the comments of her video, sharing their own experiences and offering advice.
Members, how did you handle the two practice questions provided? Were they easy or a bit challenging for you? Share your responses in the comments below!

easie peasie

Wow I am 77 years of age and could do this in my head - so sad that someone who has not finished year 10 can be in training for a teacher position. Sometimes I just wonder where we will all end up.

Reactions: Jeanne