Can you outsmart this nearly undetectable Australia Post scam? Online shopper gives urgent advice

It sounds like the ideal situation–you’ve ordered a gift for yourself, and eagerly await its arrival. But then you get a text or email that the shipment failed. All you need to do is click on the link and update the shipping address.

It sounds innocent, but this simple message is a newly developed scam that has caused chaos in the lives of Australians across the country.

A woman from Sydney opened up about her close call and shared the message she received, which had cleverly been made to look like it was from Australia Post. Fortunately, she was able to spot the scam before it was too late–and now she’s hoping others won’t make the same mistake.

The message read: 'Tips: Your shipment failed. Please update your shipping address.'

It included a link which, when clicked, directed the woman to a website that contained an address form–and, if completed, would have requested her credit card details for a 'redelivery fee'.

photo (9).jpg
A woman from Sydney received a text from an unknown number claiming to be Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

Luckily, the woman realised something was wrong when her package unexpectedly turned up.

'I was shocked at how real the text message was… and I also find it terrifying these scammers know exactly when you are about to receive a package,' she said.

But how can you spot the scam when it’s so well disguised? Here’s what to look out for:
  • A text message or email that looks to have been sent from Australia Post, asking you to click a link.
  • Unusual sense of urgency.
  • The website you’re directed to contains a non-Australia Post web address. (This is Australia Post’s legitimate web address: https://auspost.com.au/)
Once you spot these telltale signs–don’t click the link!

photo (11).jpg
The text directed the woman to a website disguised as Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

A spokeswoman from Australia Post reminded everyone that they never contact customers via email, SMS, or phone asking for payments or personal and financial information.

'We also encourage customers to download the Australia Post app, which is the most reliable and secure way to receive delivery updates because it uses push notifications that can’t be replicated by scammers,' she added.

Here are some steps to take if you suspect you've been scammed:

If you find yourself in a position where you've received an alert from what appears to be Australia Post that ticks all the boxes of this new scam, remain calm, but take immediate action.

First, avoid clicking the link to provide any personal or financial information. The cold anonymity of online interaction can easily lend itself to panic, especially when one thinks a much-anticipated parcel is in jeopardy. But remember that Australia Post will never ask for these details through text or email.

Second, report the matter directly to Australia Post. You can reach them by email at [email protected]. Provide as much information as possible about the scam to aid their investigations. Any screen grabs, or detailed conversation descriptions can go a long way in busting these operations.

Following that, delete the message. Make sure it's completely removed from whatever device you received it on–your mobile phone, tablet, or home computer.

If you've unfortunately fallen for the scam and provided personal or financial information, contact your bank or financial institution as soon as possible. They are well versed in these types of situations and can give advice and in some instances, can stop a transaction from going through or close your compromised accounts.

And finally, let others know about your experience. Share what happened with your circle of friends and relatives to prevent them from falling victim to the same trickery.

Scammers are constantly evolving their methods, making it crucial for everyone to stay one step ahead. You can do this by regularly checking our ScamWatch forum for news or information on the latest scams.

You can also visit Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Scamwatch website, which has information and advice for consumers when shopping online, as well as tips to help you identify if a website is fake.

Help spread the word by sharing this article with your family and friends!

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney woman almost fell for an Australia Post text message scam.
  • The scam involved a text message claiming that her package delivery had failed, then directed her to a website that looked like the legitimate Australia Post website.
  • Australia Post has reminded customers that they never request payments or personal and financial information via text or email.
  • Customers who receive suspicious messages appearing to be from Australia Post are urged to report it to [email protected] and to delete the message immediately.
Have you or anyone you know been taken advantage of by one of these scams? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It sounds like the ideal situation–you’ve ordered a gift for yourself, and eagerly await its arrival. But then you get a text or email that the shipment failed. All you need to do is click on the link and update the shipping address.

It sounds innocent, but this simple message is a newly developed scam that has caused chaos in the lives of Australians across the country.

A woman from Sydney opened up about her close call and shared the message she received, which had cleverly been made to look like it was from Australia Post. Fortunately, she was able to spot the scam before it was too late–and now she’s hoping others won’t make the same mistake.

The message read: 'Tips: Your shipment failed. Please update your shipping address.'

It included a link which, when clicked, directed the woman to a website that contained an address form–and, if completed, would have requested her credit card details for a 'redelivery fee'.

View attachment 27647
A woman from Sydney received a text from an unknown number claiming to be Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

Luckily, the woman realised something was wrong when her package unexpectedly turned up.

'I was shocked at how real the text message was… and I also find it terrifying these scammers know exactly when you are about to receive a package,' she said.

But how can you spot the scam when it’s so well disguised? Here’s what to look out for:
  • A text message or email that looks to have been sent from Australia Post, asking you to click a link.
  • The website you’re directed to contains a non-Australia Post web address. (This is Australia Post’s legitimate web address: https://auspost.com.au/)

View attachment 27670
The text directed the woman to a website disguised as Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

A spokeswoman from Australia Post reminded everyone that they never contact customers via email, SMS, or phone asking for payments or personal and financial information.

'We also encourage customers to download the Australia Post app, which is the most reliable and secure way to receive delivery updates because it uses push notifications that can’t be replicated by scammers,' she added.

If you find yourself in a position where you've received an alert from what appears to be Australia Post that ticks all the boxes of this new scam, remain calm, but take immediate action.

First, avoid clicking the link to provide any personal or financial information. The cold anonymity of online interaction can easily lend itself to panic, especially when one thinks a much-anticipated parcel is in jeopardy. But remember that Australia Post will never ask for these details through text or email.

Second, report the matter directly to Australia Post. You can reach them by email at [email protected]. Provide as much information as possible about the scam to aid their investigations. Any screen grabs, or detailed conversation descriptions can go a long way in busting these operations.

Following that, delete the message. Make sure it's completely removed from whatever device you received it on–your mobile phone, tablet, or home computer.

If you've unfortunately fallen for the scam and provided personal or financial information, contact your bank or financial institution as soon as possible. They are well versed in these types of situations and can give advice and in some instances, can stop a transaction from going through or close your compromised accounts.

And finally, let others know about your experience. Share what happened with your circle of friends and relatives to prevent them from falling victim to the same trickery.

Scammers are constantly evolving their methods, making it crucial for everyone to stay one step ahead. You can do this by regularly checking our ScamWatch forum for news or information on the latest scams.

You can also visit Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Scamwatch website, which has information and advice for consumers when shopping online, as well as tips to help you identify if a website is fake.

Key Takeaways

• The scam involved a text message claiming that her package delivery had failed, then directed her to a website that looked like the legitimate Australia Post website.
  • Australia Post has reminded customers that they never request payments or personal and financial information via text or email.
  • Customers who receive suspicious messages appearing to be from Australia Post are urged to report it to [email protected] and to delete the message immediately.
Have you or anyone you know been taken advantage of by one of these scams? Share your experience with us in the comments below.
I received a similar text, but my gut told me to look closer. I didn't click the link I just deleted the message.

View attachment 27647

View attachment 27670

Key Takeaways

Cannot believe people fall for these scams when they have been told countless timeS about what to look out for etc.

Reactions: Macarj
This scam has been around for a fair while (about 5-6 months ago). I received 2 emails from these scammers within days of each other. I clicked on the sender and showed nothing to do with Australia Post. I forwarded these onto ScamWatch then blocked the scam. Any parcel’s delivery, I get a text from AP where and when the parcel is to be delivered.

Reactions: Macarj
This scam has been going for several years I get them constantly I just delete them

Australia post never send you an email or message regarding your parcel.

I get messages and emails like this daily , although my hubby is vulnerable, he will ask are we expecting a parcel ? They say there was a problem delivering it. 🙄 I just look at him ...he ask , what's wrong ...I then go on abd ask him, how many times do I need to tell you they are SCAMS
Actually Australia Post regularly send emails about your parcels, but not like the scam one in this post. I received one today along the lines of: Your parcel from ............ is on its way, tracking number .......... Expected Friday 18th August - Tuesday 22nd August. We order quite a lot online and receive these emails all the time. They are quite genuine and do not contain links.

View attachment 27647

View attachment 27670

Key Takeaways

View attachment 27647

View attachment 27670

Key Takeaways

Here is the email I just received:

"Асtіоn Νееdеd​

Chose Your Preferred Resolution

Dear Valued Customer​

I hope this message finds you well. We would like to inform you about the recent attempted dеlіvеrу of your расkаgе via our соurіеr service.

Our соurіеr visited your address yesterday between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM in the morning, as requested. However, unfоrtunаtеlу, there was no one available to sign for the package at that time. We understand that circumstances can sometimes lead to mіѕѕеd dеlіvеrіеѕ.

In such cases, we offer you two options:

1. Rеturn to Sender: If you do not wish to rеѕсhеdulе the Dеlіvеrу, we will proceed to Rеturn the раrсеl to the original sender within the next 3 days. Please note that this option will lead to a smooth and prompt resolution, but the package will be sent back.
2. Rеѕсhеdulе Dеlіvеrу: Alternatively, if you still require the package, you can rеѕсhеdulе a new Dеlіvеrу time that is convenient for you. To rеѕсhеdulе, please сlісk on the link below:

Kindly note that a service сhаrgе of $2.99 will apply for rescheduling the Dеlіvеrу to cover administrative and logistics соѕtѕ.

Thank you for choosing our courier service. We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you further.

Best regards,"

I did not fall for it, as what it doesn’t show is the heading; "Honoured to serve you"...I mean let's get serious here, who do you know that starts off an email with those words...people, please, please, please DO NOT respond in any way by click any link...and report it a.s.a.p...

you can google ScamWatch and enter the message (or part of it) and it would come up if scam
also, "AuMYGV+" (google search) (Your search - AuMYGV+ - did not match any documents.)
Thank you Thomas. Tried several ways and just said to use fewer wors each time which I did.

Same I even had one from Disney plus which looked so convincing , what rang a bell was we don't use that email for Disney plus
That s what happened to me with a PayPal scam: I had allededly authorised a payment of USD759!! Problem: my PayPal account is connected to another email account of mine!😂

I get those regularly. With sms it s easy: I check the time, and they are usually sent between 2:00 and 3:30 pm. Who would be around trying to deliver a parcel at that time?

Australia Post do not charge for an admin / re-delivery fee. The postage has already been paid.
If the item cannot be delivered or a signature is required, the postie will leave a card with the time and details of what local Australia Post outlet the item can be collected from.
It's quite simple do not pay any attention to these scam emails / messages if they are asking for any payment or personal details.
The scammers know that many people shop online and are expecting items in the post.
They send multiple email / messages every minute of the day. All they need is a small percentage of people to respond and they have had a great day at the office.
I occasionally get these emails / messages even when I am not expecting any items for delivery.
When you get one of these emails / messages, stop for a minute and ask yourself when did Australia Post start charging for re-delivery and admin fees?
Never.