Can you outsmart this nearly undetectable Australia Post scam? Online shopper gives urgent advice

It sounds like the ideal situation–you’ve ordered a gift for yourself, and eagerly await its arrival. But then you get a text or email that the shipment failed. All you need to do is click on the link and update the shipping address.

It sounds innocent, but this simple message is a newly developed scam that has caused chaos in the lives of Australians across the country.

A woman from Sydney opened up about her close call and shared the message she received, which had cleverly been made to look like it was from Australia Post. Fortunately, she was able to spot the scam before it was too late–and now she’s hoping others won’t make the same mistake.

The message read: 'Tips: Your shipment failed. Please update your shipping address.'

It included a link which, when clicked, directed the woman to a website that contained an address form–and, if completed, would have requested her credit card details for a 'redelivery fee'.

photo (9).jpg
A woman from Sydney received a text from an unknown number claiming to be Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

Luckily, the woman realised something was wrong when her package unexpectedly turned up.

'I was shocked at how real the text message was… and I also find it terrifying these scammers know exactly when you are about to receive a package,' she said.

But how can you spot the scam when it’s so well disguised? Here’s what to look out for:
  • A text message or email that looks to have been sent from Australia Post, asking you to click a link.
  • Unusual sense of urgency.
  • The website you’re directed to contains a non-Australia Post web address. (This is Australia Post’s legitimate web address: https://auspost.com.au/)
Once you spot these telltale signs–don’t click the link!

photo (11).jpg
The text directed the woman to a website disguised as Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

A spokeswoman from Australia Post reminded everyone that they never contact customers via email, SMS, or phone asking for payments or personal and financial information.

'We also encourage customers to download the Australia Post app, which is the most reliable and secure way to receive delivery updates because it uses push notifications that can’t be replicated by scammers,' she added.

Here are some steps to take if you suspect you've been scammed:

If you find yourself in a position where you've received an alert from what appears to be Australia Post that ticks all the boxes of this new scam, remain calm, but take immediate action.

First, avoid clicking the link to provide any personal or financial information. The cold anonymity of online interaction can easily lend itself to panic, especially when one thinks a much-anticipated parcel is in jeopardy. But remember that Australia Post will never ask for these details through text or email.

Second, report the matter directly to Australia Post. You can reach them by email at [email protected]. Provide as much information as possible about the scam to aid their investigations. Any screen grabs, or detailed conversation descriptions can go a long way in busting these operations.

Following that, delete the message. Make sure it's completely removed from whatever device you received it on–your mobile phone, tablet, or home computer.

If you've unfortunately fallen for the scam and provided personal or financial information, contact your bank or financial institution as soon as possible. They are well versed in these types of situations and can give advice and in some instances, can stop a transaction from going through or close your compromised accounts.

And finally, let others know about your experience. Share what happened with your circle of friends and relatives to prevent them from falling victim to the same trickery.

Scammers are constantly evolving their methods, making it crucial for everyone to stay one step ahead. You can do this by regularly checking our ScamWatch forum for news or information on the latest scams.

You can also visit Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Scamwatch website, which has information and advice for consumers when shopping online, as well as tips to help you identify if a website is fake.

Help spread the word by sharing this article with your family and friends!

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney woman almost fell for an Australia Post text message scam.
  • The scam involved a text message claiming that her package delivery had failed, then directed her to a website that looked like the legitimate Australia Post website.
  • Australia Post has reminded customers that they never request payments or personal and financial information via text or email.
  • Customers who receive suspicious messages appearing to be from Australia Post are urged to report it to [email protected] and to delete the message immediately.
Have you or anyone you know been taken advantage of by one of these scams? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It sounds like the ideal situation–you’ve ordered a gift for yourself, and eagerly await its arrival. But then you get a text or email that the shipment failed. All you need to do is click on the link and update the shipping address.

It sounds innocent, but this simple message is a newly developed scam that has caused chaos in the lives of Australians across the country.

A woman from Sydney opened up about her close call and shared the message she received, which had cleverly been made to look like it was from Australia Post. Fortunately, she was able to spot the scam before it was too late–and now she’s hoping others won’t make the same mistake.

The message read: 'Tips: Your shipment failed. Please update your shipping address.'

It included a link which, when clicked, directed the woman to a website that contained an address form–and, if completed, would have requested her credit card details for a 'redelivery fee'.

View attachment 27647
A woman from Sydney received a text from an unknown number claiming to be Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

Luckily, the woman realised something was wrong when her package unexpectedly turned up.

'I was shocked at how real the text message was… and I also find it terrifying these scammers know exactly when you are about to receive a package,' she said.

But how can you spot the scam when it’s so well disguised? Here’s what to look out for:
  • A text message or email that looks to have been sent from Australia Post, asking you to click a link.
  • The website you’re directed to contains a non-Australia Post web address. (This is Australia Post’s legitimate web address: https://auspost.com.au/)

View attachment 27670
The text directed the woman to a website disguised as Australia Post. Image source: Daily Mail Australia / Seniors Discount Club.

A spokeswoman from Australia Post reminded everyone that they never contact customers via email, SMS, or phone asking for payments or personal and financial information.

'We also encourage customers to download the Australia Post app, which is the most reliable and secure way to receive delivery updates because it uses push notifications that can’t be replicated by scammers,' she added.

If you find yourself in a position where you've received an alert from what appears to be Australia Post that ticks all the boxes of this new scam, remain calm, but take immediate action.

First, avoid clicking the link to provide any personal or financial information. The cold anonymity of online interaction can easily lend itself to panic, especially when one thinks a much-anticipated parcel is in jeopardy. But remember that Australia Post will never ask for these details through text or email.

Second, report the matter directly to Australia Post. You can reach them by email at [email protected]. Provide as much information as possible about the scam to aid their investigations. Any screen grabs, or detailed conversation descriptions can go a long way in busting these operations.

Following that, delete the message. Make sure it's completely removed from whatever device you received it on–your mobile phone, tablet, or home computer.

If you've unfortunately fallen for the scam and provided personal or financial information, contact your bank or financial institution as soon as possible. They are well versed in these types of situations and can give advice and in some instances, can stop a transaction from going through or close your compromised accounts.

And finally, let others know about your experience. Share what happened with your circle of friends and relatives to prevent them from falling victim to the same trickery.

Scammers are constantly evolving their methods, making it crucial for everyone to stay one step ahead. You can do this by regularly checking our ScamWatch forum for news or information on the latest scams.

You can also visit Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Scamwatch website, which has information and advice for consumers when shopping online, as well as tips to help you identify if a website is fake.

Key Takeaways

• The scam involved a text message claiming that her package delivery had failed, then directed her to a website that looked like the legitimate Australia Post website.
  • Australia Post has reminded customers that they never request payments or personal and financial information via text or email.
  • Customers who receive suspicious messages appearing to be from Australia Post are urged to report it to [email protected] and to delete the message immediately.
Have you or anyone you know been taken advantage of by one of these scams? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Australia post never send you an email or message regarding your parcel.

I get messages and emails like this daily , although my hubby is vulnerable, he will ask are we expecting a parcel ? They say there was a problem delivering it. 🙄 I just look at him ...he ask , what's wrong ...I then go on abd ask him, how many times do I need to tell you they are SCAMS

Good grief, I can't believe people are still falling for these scams. As long as people are stupid enough to fall for them, the longer they will go on. Report them to scam watch. Also someone in this post asked what was being done to prosecute the scammers? They have to be caught first and then, most likely they would be based in a country where prosecution is impossible. The majority of these scammers are overseas.

I get messages and emails like this daily , although my hubby is vulnerable, he will ask are we expecting a parcel ? They say there was a problem delivering it. 🙄 I just look at him ...he ask , what's wrong ...I then go on abd ask him, how many times do I need to tell you they are SCAMS
Me too sometimes a couple of the same ones a day. They have been coming thick and fast the last couple of weeks, worst ones Netflix - google, i cloud ,constantly told have viruses when I Am not connected to any of these companies.

Good grief, I can't believe people are still falling for these scams. As long as people are stupid enough to fall for them, the longer they will go on. Report them to scam watch. Also someone in this post asked what was being done to prosecute the scammers? They have to be caught first and then, most likely they would be based in a country where prosecution is impossible. The majority of these scammers are overseas.
I agree 100%. My husband got scammed many years ago and he reported it and he got told that they tracked it across three countries and were sorry nothing could be done.

Me too sometimes a couple of the same ones a day. They have been coming thick and fast the last couple of weeks, worst ones Netflix - google, i cloud ,constantly told have viruses when I Am not connected to any of these companies.
Same I even had one from Disney plus which looked so convincing , what rang a bell was we don't use that email for Disney plus

Sounds like the conversation I have with my husband almost daily. They are just too trusting aren’t they lol. I tell him - trust no one and never click on a link

Sorry, haven't got time to deal with this one at the moment.

I'm currently dealing with the 4 fake PayPal emails I've received. 🙄 They look quite real as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren

Sorry, Look at the address "lihi3"!? You've got to be simple to be fooled by this :(

Reactions: LynS and Babbie

View attachment 27647

View attachment 27670

Key Takeaways

Auspost will leave a note in your letter box if they couldn't deliver (such as a signature required but no-one home) and say that it is being held at post office, if they can't deliver any item at the first attemp then you have to collect it

Reactions: LynS and Babbie

View attachment 27647

View attachment 27670

Key Takeaways

I received a text from AuMYGV+ Saying ATO: Due to the most recent update, you must validate your document at https://authsecure1-ato-info/pay/ by 18/08/2023. I did not open. I am sure this is a scame.

I received a text from AuMYGV+ Saying ATO: Due to the most recent update, you must validate your document at https://authsecure1-ato-info/pay/ by 18/08/2023. I did not open. I am sure this is a scame.
you can google ScamWatch and enter the message (or part of it) and it would come up if scam
also, "AuMYGV+" (google search) (Your search - AuMYGV+ - did not match any documents.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marian M
Auspost will leave a note in your letter box if they couldn't deliver (such as a signature required but no-one home) and say that it is being held at post office, if they can't deliver any item at the first attemp then you have to collect it
No they won't! The new policy is to avoid using "Missed Delivery" cards.... They just send notification via their App nowadays.... And if you live in an apartment they do NOT even attempt delivery! :(

Exactly, this has been the case for years and still is. Never has the post office ever sent me rubbish emails. I also get a card dropped in to the letter box and pick it up later if I am not home. Scams will continue because there are always people who respond to them.