Can you imagine a $46 bill for just one meal? This Woolworths shopper couldn’t either!

Rising grocery prices continue to strain the wallets of Australians, especially as we all try to save money in these uncertain times.

This was shown starkly when Australian shopper Nat decided to make a home-cooked meal in an attempt to save a few dollars.

To her shock, a small number of items that would contribute to a single lasagne meal amounted to nearly $50 at Woolworths!

In a video on social media, the shopper said: ‘I just spent $46 on lasagne ingredients, and I already had half the ingredients at home. $46 f***ing for lasange. Are you f***ing joking?’

'I should just eat Maccas every day', she continued, suggesting that McDonald’s could still be a more affordable choice for cash-strapped Aussies, even considering its high prices.

8bbc9550-836d-11ee-bbd4-2a04395043ee.png
A Woolworths shopper was taken aback by the cost of ingredients for one meal.
Image source: TikTok

To back up her claim, Nat shared a photograph of her receipt that showed a clear breakdown of the cost involved in her $46 meal.

The shopper said she had only purchased items for the one dinner and hadn't bought anything extra.

Cost of ingredients at Woolworths-.jpg
Here’s a breakdown of what the shopper bought for $46.

Understandably, Aussies who are already struggling financially are feeling the impacts of the increase more heavily.

According to a survey early this year conducted by comparison and financial literacy website Finder, the average household already spent $199 per week on groceries alone, up from $184 per week in June 2022.

Around 78 per cent of respondents said they were looking for cheaper meals or discounts to cope with runaway inflation, and half admitted to feeling financially pressured over higher costs. Similarly, some Aussies said they were skipping some essential items like cereal or razor blades altogether.

In August, a mum who had compared 52 products from an online order in late 2022 to current prices at Coles pointed out that the same shop cost her $192.80 then compared to $226.24 now—an increase of $33.34 or 17 per cent.

While some might think high grocery prices incentivise patronage of fast food, fast food places have also seen their prices increase.

According to UBS analysis, price hikes of 8 per cent and 14.7 per cent for McDonald’s and KFC, respectively, had been observed since August.

So what can we do to try and offset the rising cost of food?

Switching to no-name brands is a good way to save money.

Many made this suggestion in response to Nat's video, noting that her purchase of branded items was a definite way to increase spending at the checkout.

While Nat responded that ditching branded products was 'not that much cheaper' with a difference of only a few dollars, viewers insisted that a few simple switches—such as swapping lean mince to regular mince—could still make a difference in her grocery bill.

Some also said that going for a ready-to-eat lasagne meal would have been a cheaper option, but she fired back by urging people not to compare a store-made product with a homemade meal.

‘This is wild. I tried to get ingredients for lunch at Coles the other day and realised it was cheaper to get a $15 meal at food court,’ another shared.

‘It is actually very true. Some restaurants are much cheaper than doing it yourself,’ agreed a second.

Nat’s story comes just as Coles and Woolworths were criticised for alleged ‘price gouging’ amid rising prices recently, with several shoppers increasingly feeling they were getting less at a higher price.

However, Coles defended its pricing, citing a $2.60 profit per $100 spent and business costs such as construction, energy, logistics, and packaging in a newly released statement.

Meanwhile, Woolworths reaffirmed its commitment to fair deals for shoppers, staff, and suppliers, acknowledging the strain on Australians from the rising cost of living.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie shopper shocked over spending $46 on ingredients for a single lasagne meal at Woolworths.
  • The shopper, a woman named Nat, posted a video and receipt of her grocery bill on social media, causing widespread discussion.
  • The cost of groceries in Australia is a major concern, with supermarkets facing accusations of ‘price gouging’.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths have defended their pricing, attributing higher costs to increased business expenses and cost-of-living increases.
Although supermarkets have previously shut down accusations of ‘price gouging’, it’s clear from Nat's experience—and countless others—that shoppers on a budget are feeling the effects of rising prices more deeply than ever.

Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Definitely the main stream supermarkets are ripping shoppers off. Every day in every aisle. Manufacturers and suppliers also have their finger in the pie. A few years back I use to buy Palmolive anti dandruff shampoo. 400ml at an acceptable price. A bit later found the bottle was not 350ml prices up. Dog food is another classic. My dog likes Baxter dry food so I buy 8kg bag. Over past few months went from $13 to $19 what tha?. Both Woolworths and Coles have made record profits this year, not ripping people off? Can't keep blaming war in Ukraine, Covid and now war in middle East. Tongue in cheek here, maybe they are trying to recoup the countless millions they pumped into the "Yes" campaign for Albo's Voice campaign??

Rising grocery prices continue to strain the wallets of Australians, especially as we all try to save money in these uncertain times.

This was shown starkly when Australian shopper Nat decided to make a home-cooked meal in an attempt to save a few dollars.

To her shock, a small number of items that would contribute to a single lasagne meal amounted to nearly $50 at Woolworths!

In a video on social media, the shopper said: ‘I just spent $46 on lasagne ingredients, and I already had half the ingredients at home. $46 f***ing for lasange. Are you f***ing joking?’

'I should just eat Maccas every day', she continued, suggesting that McDonald’s could still be a more affordable choice for cash-strapped Aussies, even considering its high prices.

View attachment 34920

To back up her claim, Nat shared a photograph of her receipt that showed a clear breakdown of the cost involved in her $46 meal.

The shopper said she had only purchased items for the one dinner and hadn't bought anything extra.

View attachment 34921

Understandably, Aussies who are already struggling financially are feeling the impacts of the increase more heavily.

According to a survey early this year conducted by comparison and financial literacy website Finder, the average household already spent $199 per week on groceries alone, up from $184 per week in June 2022.

Around 78 per cent of respondents said they were looking for cheaper meals or discounts to cope with runaway inflation, and half admitted to feeling financially pressured over higher costs. Similarly, some Aussies said they were skipping some essential items like cereal or razor blades altogether.

In August, a mum who had compared 52 products from an online order in late 2022 to current prices at Coles pointed out that the same shop cost her $192.80 then compared to $226.24 now—an increase of $33.34 or 17 per cent.

While some might think high grocery prices incentivise patronage of fast food, fast food places have also seen their prices increase.

According to UBS analysis, price hikes of 8 per cent and 14.7 per cent for McDonald’s and KFC, respectively, had been observed since August.

Many made this suggestion in response to Nat's video, noting that her purchase of branded items was a definite way to increase spending at the checkout.

While Nat responded that ditching branded products was 'not that much cheaper' with a difference of only a few dollars, viewers insisted that a few simple switches—such as swapping lean mince to regular mince—could still make a difference in her grocery bill.

Some also said that going for a ready-to-eat lasagne meal would have been a cheaper option, but she fired back by urging people not to compare a store-made product with a homemade meal.

‘This is wild. I tried to get ingredients for lunch at Coles the other day and realised it was cheaper to get a $15 meal at food court,’ another shared.

‘It is actually very true. Some restaurants are much cheaper than doing it yourself,’ agreed a second.

Nat’s story comes just as Coles and Woolworths were criticised for alleged ‘price gouging’ amid rising prices recently, with several shoppers increasingly feeling they were getting less at a higher price.

However, Coles defended its pricing, citing a $2.60 profit per $100 spent and business costs such as construction, energy, logistics, and packaging in a newly released statement.

Meanwhile, Woolworths reaffirmed its commitment to fair deals for shoppers, staff, and suppliers, acknowledging the strain on Australians from the rising cost of living.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie shopper shocked over spending $46 on ingredients for a single lasagne meal at Woolworths.
  • The shopper, a woman named Nat, posted a video and receipt of her grocery bill on social media, causing widespread discussion.
  • The cost of groceries in Australia is a major concern, with supermarkets facing accusations of ‘price gouging’.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths have defended their pricing, attributing higher costs to increased business expenses and cost-of-living increases.
Although supermarkets have previously shut down accusations of ‘price gouging’, it’s clear from Nat's experience—and countless others—that shoppers on a budget are feeling the effects of rising prices more deeply than ever.

Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
OMG - I'm having such a laugh at this - she states this is for 1 meal - if it is for one person then she will have tons of leftovers or she throws out a lot.

I do pre-prep meals and this amount of food would make between 4 to 6 meals. Honesty people, who eats 1kg of mince in a single serve. The real costs per person would be around $11.50 per meal for 4 servings or $7.66 per meal for 6 servings.

Wish people would stop this kind of BS.

View attachment 34920

View attachment 34921

Key Takeaways

Apart from the mince I think you could buy the rest of the sauce ingredients more cheaply. I try to buy Australian tinned tomatoes and they are much cheaper than suggested here. Also this meal would have fed at least 4 people. Which probably isn't too bad in the scheme of things.

Definitely the main stream supermarkets are ripping shoppers off. Every day in every aisle. Manufacturers and suppliers also have their finger in the pie. A few years back I use to buy Palmolive anti dandruff shampoo. 400ml at an acceptable price. A bit later found the bottle was not 350ml prices up. Dog food is another classic. My dog likes Baxter dry food so I buy 8kg bag. Over past few months went from $13 to $19 what tha?. Both Woolworths and Coles have made record profits this year, not ripping people off? Can't keep blaming war in Ukraine, Covid and now war in middle East. Tongue in cheek here, maybe they are trying to recoup the countless millions they pumped into the "Yes" campaign for Albo's Voice campaign??
Yeah it can be a mine field trying to sort the stuff out. We feed our small dog fresh meat so I end up buying the leanest mince or some cheap steak to cut up. Shampoos and conditioners can be dreadful. Some of the cheaper ones work but that also can depend on the water. From the profits they make they could afford to cut the prices and then they might make a similar profit from selling more

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
she certainly eats an excessive amount of food if this was just 1 meal. Somewhat sensationalist headline. Clearly was divided among numerous meals, hence the cost should be divided by the number of meal produced. ie 6 meals would equate to $7: per serve.

Another moaner who had to rush off to make a video because the prices of her shopping was more expensive!!!🙄

If everyone made a video every time they went shopping, there would be millions of videos about the same thing. Luckily most people are sensible.

And having to swear to try to make a point makes my interest in her boring story zero.

View attachment 34920

View attachment 34921

Key Takeaways

If One goes to the Butcher Shop ,Farmers Markets etc and away from greedy Monopolising Multinationals, things are so much cheaper and better quality ,Meats don't have as much Water in them ,Fruit and Veggies are so much nicer and fresher from the Farmers direct,as Produce not Cool stored for Months

View attachment 34920

View attachment 34921

Key Takeaways

It is certainly getting more expensive every week to buy food items . I am on a tight budget on a Disability Pension. My Carer and I go halves in the costs which comes to $150 a fortnight each to just buy the bare necessities to eat and that isn't expensive foods we buy the cheapest we can get. The cost of living seems to go up every week. not just food but petrol also. No wonder people are going without and people are getting sicker all the time as they can't afford to eat properly . We shop between Aldi and Woolworths to try and make the budget work.

Did she leave her brain at home. Calculate as you go and if you find it's becoming beyond what you intended to buy then don't buy it.

Also a bag of carrots and onions would work out cheaper and there'd be leftovers, garlic can be bought as minced (tastes the same), surely she didn't use all of the two cheeses or butter - again, leftovers for another day or something else.

Lady, you've had your five minutes of internet fame - get over it and use your head next time you shop or at least take your calculator (if your brain cannot do it) and add up your cost before you get to the checkout.

Did she leave her brain at home. Calculate as you go and if you find it's becoming beyond what you intended to buy then don't buy it.

Also a bag of carrots and onions would work out cheaper and there'd be leftovers, garlic can be bought as minced (tastes the same), surely she didn't use all of the two cheeses or butter - again, leftovers for another day or something else.

Lady, you've had your five minutes of internet fame - get over it and use your head next time you shop or at least take your calculator (if your brain cannot do it) and add up your cost before you get to the checkout.
That’s it 5minutes of brainless tik tok fame dumb bitch🤣

Last edited:
If it was for 1 meal it must have been for a family. If it was for only her surely after cooking the Lasagne she could have divided the Lasagne and froze it for later making it $11.50 or cheaper depending on how much she eats. Otherwise why buy that amount of mince and other products etc. I know you can only buy pre-packaged meat and 500g pasta etc but you don't eat 500g pasta in one meal, you don't eat 1kg mince in 1 meal. I think there is a bit of over dramatising going on!!!!

Didn't we see this story last week?
It probably seems like it because there are so many people posting to social media to “have a voice” and to have their faces out there. Goes to show how boring and bored some people are who take to social media to post about something that’s been said many times before. Mind numbing.

OMG - I'm having such a laugh at this - she states this is for 1 meal - if it is for one person then she will have tons of leftovers or she throws out a lot.

I do pre-prep meals and this amount of food would make between 4 to 6 meals. Honesty people, who eats 1kg of mince in a single serve. The real costs per person would be around $11.50 per meal for 4 servings or $7.66 per meal for 6 servings.

Wish people would stop this kind of BS.
They all want their 15 minutes of fame

I think you’re very kind and generous to refer to that person as a “Lady”. 😆 She didn’t appear to me very lady-like to me.😉

View attachment 34920

View attachment 34921

Key Takeaways

Think most people have onions, carrots, cheese, garlic etc already and do not buy specifically for one recipe!!! Sorry she is making a mountain out of a molehill!!!

That amount would feed at least 5 in my house I hope she wouldn’t consume 1kg of mince in one meal. That’s a lot of Big Macs hopefully after she made it realised how many meals it made.

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8