Can you believe what this Coles shopper discovered in a 3-year-old pack of toilet paper? One shocking detail inside!

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we truly appreciate the value of a great bargain. We understand that even the smallest savings can make a significant difference, especially when it comes to items like toilet paper.

That's why we were fascinated by the tale of a Coles customer who recently drew attention to a comparison. She compared a pack of toilet paper she bought three years ago with one she purchased recently, and the results were quite eye-opening.

compressed-FB resize 74.jpeg
The four-pack of Coles brand toilet paper bought three years ago (top) is noticeably larger in size compared to the same packet purchased just recently (bottom). Source: Twitter

Taking to social media, the shopper shared two side-by-side pictures of Coles’ brand, So Soft & Strong Toilet Paper four-packs, one from 2020 and the other from 2023.

'I found a pack (top and left in photos) of “Coles Double Length So Soft” in a forgotten storage box that I bought three years ago for $3.65.' she wrote.

'Below and beside it is the current version I bought yesterday for around $4.50.' she added.

What's shocking about the comparison is that, despite being more than 20% cheaper, the older pack was visibly larger in size than the newer one, even though they both have the same description and packaging. Many wondered whether Coles was subtly downsizing its toilet paper while increasing the price.

'Coles really do mean “down down”!' the customer jokingly commented.

compressed-toilet paper 2.jpeg
A statement regarding the size disparity has been released by Coles. Source: Twitter

However, a Coles spokesperson clarified that there has been no actual change in the amount of product on each roll.

'Our Coles brand toilet paper is wrapped tighter than it used to be, enabling a smaller overall roll. Customers can be assured that the sheets in each roll and ply are the same as previously.' the spokesperson explained.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer compared a pack of toilet paper she bought three years ago to the same pack she purchased recently, resulting in a shocking difference.
  • She posted two pictures on social media comparing the four-packs of Coles’ brand, So Soft & Strong Toilet Paper, with the older pack appearing much larger in size.
  • The shopper highlighted the price difference, with the older pack costing $3.65 and the current version costing around $4.50.
  • A Coles spokesperson explained that the new rolls of toilet paper are wrapped tighter, allowing for a smaller overall roll without any change to the number of sheets in each roll or the ply.
It's understood that the change in roll diameter allows for improved pallet stacking and sustainability efficiencies. So while it may appear different at first glance, the value for money remains the same—at least according to Coles.

There are many ways to save on toilet paper and other essentials, such as buying in bulk, staying updated on discounts, and taking advantage of in-store and online deals. So keep an eye on our Deals, Discounts, and Bargains forum to stay in the know and find the best bargains!

We always appreciate it when our members share insights, so if you've made a similar discovery, don't hesitate to let us know!

Sponsored
Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we truly appreciate the value of a great bargain. We understand that even the smallest savings can make a significant difference, especially when it comes to items like toilet paper.

That's why we were fascinated by the tale of a Coles customer who recently drew attention to a comparison. She compared a pack of toilet paper she bought three years ago with one she purchased recently, and the results were quite eye-opening.

View attachment 23320
The four-pack of Coles brand toilet paper bought three years ago (top) is noticeably larger in size compared to the same packet purchased just recently (bottom). Source: Twitter

Taking to social media, the shopper shared two side-by-side pictures of Coles’ brand, So Soft & Strong Toilet Paper four-packs, one from 2020 and the other from 2023.

'I found a pack (top and left in photos) of “Coles Double Length So Soft” in a forgotten storage box that I bought three years ago for $3.65.' she wrote.

'Below and beside it is the current version I bought yesterday for around $4.50.' she added.

What's shocking about the comparison is that, despite being more than 20% cheaper, the older pack was visibly larger in size than the newer one, even though they both have the same description and packaging. Many wondered whether Coles was subtly downsizing its toilet paper while increasing the price.

View attachment 23321
A statement regarding the size disparity has been released by Coles. Source: Twitter

However, a Coles spokesperson clarified that there has been no actual change in the amount of product on each roll.

'Our Coles brand toilet paper is wrapped tighter than it used to be, enabling a smaller overall roll. Customers can be assured that the sheets in each roll and ply are the same as previously.' the spokesperson explained.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer compared a pack of toilet paper she bought three years ago to the same pack she purchased recently, resulting in a shocking difference.
  • She posted two pictures on social media comparing the four-packs of Coles’ brand, So Soft & Strong Toilet Paper, with the older pack appearing much larger in size.
  • The shopper highlighted the price difference, with the older pack costing $3.65 and the current version costing around $4.50.
  • A Coles spokesperson explained that the new rolls of toilet paper are wrapped tighter, allowing for a smaller overall roll without any change to the number of sheets in each roll or the ply.
It's understood that the change in roll diameter allows for improved pallet stacking and sustainability efficiencies. So while it may appear different at first glance, the value for money remains the same—at least according to Coles.

There are many ways to save on toilet paper and other essentials, such as buying in bulk, staying updated on discounts, and taking advantage of in-store and online deals. So keep an eye on our Deals, Discounts, and Bargains forum to stay in the know and find the best bargains!

We always appreciate it when our members share insights, so if you've made a similar discovery, don't hesitate to let us know!
Don't like that stuff it rough as sandpaper! It's not soft. Just as bad as the itchyr*ng paper Kleenex has. prefer Quilton but even they have been hit with not as soft as they used to be. 4 rolls wouldn't last a week in our place. The lady is lucky to find a pack from back then, sometimes with supply issues the supermarket's loo paper aisle resembles that of 3 years ago's loo paper shortage wars.

I cut up really old books that no one will take. Even op shops don’t want them! I use the pages for kitty litter🙀I even use junk mail in his box! Can’t use those dusty kit lits you buy bad for our health plus hits the hip pocket! Bubba doesn’t care😊he’s a cool cat😍

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and Granny*Deb
I cut up really old books that no one will take. Even op shops don’t want them! I use the pages for kitty litter🙀I even use junk mail in his box! Can’t use those dusty kit lits you buy bad for our health plus hits the hip pocket! Bubba doesn’t care😊he’s a cool cat😍
Oh🙀I don’t use them in place of loo paper😂

• Haha
Reactions: Granny*Deb
Anyone notice that the so-called 3 ply is so much thinner since the covid rush? None of the brands have the same strength they used to have resulting in using twice as much paper to achieve the same result.
Quilton is only 2 ply now, the packaging states 3 ply softness, it doesn't say 3 ply paper.

Reactions: DLHM
Sorbent toilet pa

View attachment 23320

View attachment 23321

Key Takeaways

Se

View attachment 23320

View attachment 23321

Key Takeaways

Sorbent toilet paper used to be 3ply, now it doesn't. Another sneaky move by manufacturers.

I would say they are the same, one pack is obviously rolled tighter. Who cares it does the same job……..

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Observational comparisons mean little. These images do not show the number of sheets per roll or the dimensions of the sheets. Coles may be right about tighter rolling but that is irrelevant provided the number and size of sheets in a roll are the same. Easily checked I would have thought since this information is usually on the packaging.

But I do agree with the person who commented that the 'quality' of 3ply is not the same. I have noticed that too.

View attachment 23320

View attachment 23321

Key Takeaways

I have noticed that more of the roll support is exposed leading me to believe the paper is narrower.

View attachment 23320

View attachment 23321

Key Takeaways

I had noticed some time ago that the centre cardboard cylinder in the toilet rolls is a larger diameter than it used to be. Also the width of the toilet rolls is smaller thus the overall size of the roll is much smaller. It doesn't make any difference what make you buy they have made the toilet rolls smaller.

Easy test - do they weigh the same?
If the vendor's claim that the reduction is because it is tighter wrapped then there should still be the same amount of paper, therefore weigh the same.
If they don't weigh the same, there's probably less paper so Coles is lying!

That's why I buy 4 ply
I too buy the 4 ply now. It works out to be far more economical when only 1 person is using it. But I do have back up 3 ply for visitors and when my grandson's visit. The kid's no matter what you tell them always use a lot 😀 hungry bums lol The 4 ply is also are also 1/4 the size larger. I have bought the 20 roll pack on special for $12 or $10. Regular price Quilton 20 pack is $15 dollars. Ultimately I have found I use less. Makes for a happy 😊 Mum & grandma

Don't they list the number of sheets on a roll? If it is the same number of sheets then there are really only 2 scenarios, either it is as they say wound tighter and the smaller "core" would suggest that, or the sheets are thinner and there would be a difference in weight.