Can scented candles do you harm? Woman shares terrifying experience

No matter the season, many love to use candles as a go-to solution for creating a cosy and fragrant atmosphere in their homes.

And why not? This atmosphere has many benefits; it's calming, it brings people together, and it can even be romantic!

However, there can be severe consequences to lighting up scented candles, especially if you’re not aware of the potential dangers of using candles indoors.

Social media personality Emy Moore shared in a video online that she had five candles burning for several hours before blowing them out and going to bed.

But before long, she felt like her whole body was ‘dropping’.

20231117_123739_0000.png
Emy Moore started to experience strange symptoms after lighting candles in her room. Credit: @emymoore3 / TikTok

‘I started to lose sense of myself,’ she said, describing she was ‘tripping’.

‘I heard this voice saying something is wrong and I got up and my chest was so caved in and my heart was just going, going, going.’

Emy said that the symptoms she experienced weren’t from anxiety, as she had anxiety attacks before, and ‘it wasn’t that’.

Her video mentioned other symptoms, like feeling severely dehydrated, confusion, double vision, shortness of breath, chest pains, dizziness, shaking, and headaches.

‘I woke up my parents like, "I need to go to the hospital,"’ she said.

She was getting annoyed by people who kept telling her at the hospital that it was anxiety.

During her visit, she claimed that she was still experiencing symptoms, and she was ‘obnoxiously’ shaking ‘head to toe’.

'After I would say something, I forgot what I just said, and I would just keep forgetting stuff,' she said.

'I would forget how to speak.'

She also recalled that her blood pressure was ‘so freaking high’.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.jpg

Emy said, 'So they get me into a room, I'm telling them about the candles, and once I told them how long I had them lit for, and that I blew them out right before I went to sleep, [they asked how many].’

'They're like, “Oh, you could have, for sure gotten carbon monoxide poisoning.”'

She was given oxygen, and her symptoms went away a few hours later.

She added, ‘My mum stayed with me all last night, [which] helped a lot.’

'Now I'm all good. I just needed to get fresh air, for real.'

‘Moral of the story, I will never be using scented candles ever,’ she said at the end of the video.

‘Your health really matters. Prioritise your health. Don’t take things for granted. And just take care of yourself. I will do a better job.’

You can watch her video below:

Her video reached up to 790,000 views, and they were shocked at her story.

One user commented, ‘I literally had no idea you can get carbon monoxide poisoning from candles.’

Another said, ‘YES I HAVE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE To swap their candles for diffusers instead!’

'I didn't know this could happen, thank you for spreading your story, you probably saved my life,' a third added.

According to Scandiscents, burning multiple candles simultaneously can cause the amount of carbon monoxide (CO) produced to increase.

Exposure to gas for a long time can lead to a greater risk of developing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Candles, if misused, can also be hazardous. In a previous story, one customer shared her experience when her scented candle suddenly shattered. You can read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• Social media personality Emy Moore warned her viewers about scented candles after she was rushed to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • She had lit five candles in her bedroom for several hours and started experiencing symptoms like feeling lightheaded, a fast heartbeat, and shaking.
  • Despite being told initially it was just anxiety, Emy's hospital checkup confirmed that she had been affected by carbon monoxide from burning the candles.
Members, if you experience any of these symptoms, consult your GP immediately! Dial 000 in case of emergencies or inform family members of your condition.

So, what do you think of this story? Do you light scented candles in your room? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
In an enclosed area what was she thinking, no fresh air ,and why would anyone have 5 burning at once . Hopefully this is a lesson well learned. Glad she has made a full recovery.

Reactions: maherdj and PattiB
In an enclosed area what was she thinking, no fresh air ,and why would anyone have 5 burning at once . Hopefully this is a lesson well learned. Glad she has made a full recovery.
The question is what sort of scented candles were they. Apples ain't apples.
It is important to know what they are made of. It could be a game changer.

Reactions: Leenie and PattiB
No matter the season, many love to use candles as a go-to solution for creating a cosy and fragrant atmosphere in their homes.

And why not? This atmosphere has many benefits; it's calming, it brings people together, and it can even be romantic!

However, there can be severe consequences to lighting up scented candles, especially if you’re not aware of the potential dangers of using candles indoors.

Social media personality Emy Moore shared in a video online that she had five candles burning for several hours before blowing them out and going to bed.

View attachment 35017
Emy Moore started to experience strange symptoms after lighting candles in her room. Credit: @emymoore3 / TikTok

‘I heard this voice saying something is wrong and I got up and my chest was so caved in and my heart was just going, going, going.’

Emy said that the symptoms she experienced weren’t from anxiety, as she had anxiety attacks before, and ‘it wasn’t that’.

Her video mentioned other symptoms, like feeling severely dehydrated, confusion, double vision, shortness of breath, chest pains, dizziness, shaking, and headaches.

She was getting annoyed by people who kept telling her at the hospital that it was anxiety.

During her visit, she claimed that she was still experiencing symptoms, and she was ‘obnoxiously’ shaking ‘head to toe’.

'After I would say something, I forgot what I just said, and I would just keep forgetting stuff,' she said.

Emy said, 'So they get me into a room, I'm telling them about the candles, and once I told them how long I had them lit for, and that I blew them out right before I went to sleep, [they asked how many].’

'They're like, “Oh, you could have, for sure gotten carbon monoxide poisoning.”'

‘Moral of the story, I will never be using scented candles ever,’ she said at the end of the video.

‘Your health really matters. Prioritise your health. Don’t take things for granted. And just take care of yourself. I will do a better job.’

One user commented, ‘I literally had no idea you can get carbon monoxide poisoning from candles.’

Another said, ‘YES I HAVE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE To swap their candles for diffusers instead!’

'I didn't know this could happen, thank you for spreading your story, you probably saved my life,' a third added.

According to Scandiscents, burning multiple candles simultaneously can cause the amount of carbon monoxide (CO) produced to increase.

Exposure to gas for a long time can lead to a greater risk of developing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Candles, if misused, can also be hazardous. In a previous story, one customer shared her experience when her scented candle suddenly shattered. You can read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• Social media personality Emy Moore warned her viewers about scented candles after she was rushed to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • She had lit five candles in her bedroom for several hours and started experiencing symptoms like feeling lightheaded, a fast heartbeat, and shaking.
  • Despite being told initially it was just anxiety, Emy's hospital checkup confirmed that she had been affected by carbon monoxide from burning the candles.
Members, if you experience any of these symptoms, consult your GP immediately! Dial 000 in case of emergencies or inform family members of your condition.

So, what do you think of this story? Do you light scented candles in your room? Let us know in the comments below!

Maybe she should have had ONE scented candle at a time and some kind of ventilation. Diffusers are weak as water - only good if right near them.

Reactions: Leenie and maherdj
I worked in a very large bridal store and we always burnt a Glasshouse candle on the counter. All our customers would comment how nice in smelt in store but we found with certain fragrance whoever was at the counter always got a headache the only fragrance that we found ok was the vanilla one and they paid $45 a candle from Peter Alexander

I stopped burning candles years ago.
Can be dangerous, especially if there are toddlers, nearby curtains, or energetic pets roaming about.
Now, I stick to the wax melts with an electronic burner. Much better.

Reactions: Colette 3799

View attachment 35017

Key Takeaways

I don't how old she is? bbut I know one thing she is a druggie!!!

View attachment 35017

Key Takeaways

I don't how old she is? but I know one thing she is a druggie!!!

They were probably paraffin candles, which give off toxic fumes. Soy or beeswax candles are much safer. Candles should always be used in a well-ventilated area too.

Reactions: Leenie
If you would like to try again. Choose a Soya Bean product. Those candles are
100% Natural. However they do have
fragrance added. If you know anybody who does use Soya Bean Candles
Test yourself and your Pussy Cat to
see if there is any reaction

Reactions: Leenie